Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Track way faster or GPS off?
Quote | Reply
So did my first outdoor track session of the year last night and the times were a lot faster than what they've been on the road, even though the segment I normally use is flat. Is 15 sec/km faster on the track normal, is my GPS watch off, was it a good day or some other explanation?
Quote Reply
Re: Track way faster or GPS off? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would never trust GPS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an athlete who's garmin watch when they download has them running through the high jump pit, the across the stands, back on the track for the far turn, then inside the infield for every lap.

The only time they run on the track is when they are on the far turn. I keep telling them it's going to be a lot faster to stay on the track, but still 6:00/mile pace isn't bad for doing stairs and running through sand every lap.

Also takes them ~1700m to get a mile. I can't wait to see how fast they go on the road!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you calculating your actual pace based on time around the track then comparing it to the GPS?

My watch is super wonky on the track. When I run traditional counter clockwise, my watch will say I'm running :15-:20 per mile faster than I actually am (based on track splits). But when I run clockwise, the watch is pretty damn near spot on. And this is seen at multiple tracks. idk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the garmin is on outside arm when in a track, yes it will make pace seem faster. Instead use lap button each time you cross the 400m. And calculate based off that. 1:30 lap is about 6:00min/mile pace or 3:45min/km pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never use a GPS on a track from a pacing standpoint. Tracks are actually among the most difficult thing for GPS units to handle, due to the curves and shorting you slightly.

Instead, I use the GPS data on a track as my final distance upload to Training Peaks/Strava/whatever.

But in terms of calculating splits, I just do mental math in my head.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Track way faster or GPS off? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Are you calculating your actual pace based on time around the track then comparing it to the GPS?

My watch is super wonky on the track. When I run traditional counter clockwise, my watch will say I'm running :15-:20 per mile faster than I actually am (based on track splits). But when I run clockwise, the watch is pretty damn near spot on. And this is seen at multiple tracks. idk?

I probably was unclear. When I'm on the track I don't use GPS. But when I'm on a straight, flat section on a road, I do use GPS. The times on the track (no GPS here) were way faster than the times on the straight road section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either your watch is under-reporting on the road or you simply perform better on the track. Likely the second, and it is not too surprising. It's a better surface and you have obvious markers every 100 meters to aid pacing. Plus, you feel more like a track star than a hobby jogger.

Now, you just gotta work on getting you road performance to match the track (unless you race on a track).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use GPS to calculate miles and pace.

Use Mapmywalk to map out miles and hit the lap button on your Timex Ironman watch at each mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Track way faster or GPS off? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Either your watch is under-reporting on the road or you simply perform better on the track. Likely the second, and it is not too surprising. It's a better surface and you have obvious markers every 100 meters to aid pacing. Plus, you feel more like a track star than a hobby jogger.

Now, you just gotta work on getting you road performance to match the track (unless you race on a track).

Haha, "All yes on me". No, the HR is the same. Just difference in speed. But yes, would definitely be nice to transfer those speeds on the road
Quote Reply
Re: Track way faster or GPS off? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I have an athlete who's garmin watch when they download has them running through the high jump pit, the across the stands, back on the track for the far turn, then inside the infield for every lap.

trail runner's version of a track workout ?

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you comparing same workouts or just talking about your pace is faster on track?

Track is likely nicer/better surface. It’s also to me tracks are boring and thus can keep you more focused with ability to basically always know your splits.

When I do “mental” imagery running a mental mile to get my mind focused I always do it on a track cus I basically know where I should be time wise with every step. Sorry that’s an side bar note.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply