Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back?
Quote | Reply
Which way do you do it? This is mostly for the swimmers, but if there are any athletics folks (or BMX'ers / trackies) here you can chime in too.

I prefer my dominant leg forward.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 27, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Which way do you do it? This is mostly for the swimmers, but if there are any athletics folks here you can chime in too.

My old BMX days in the '80s it was dominant leg back because you wanted the first full pedal stroke to be as powerful as it can. That was the prevailing wisdom anyway.

So I'd start out balancing at the gate with my left (weak) leg forward at maybe 20 degrees above parallel.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 27, 19 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always gone dominant leg back for swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CVH1296 wrote:
I've always gone dominant leg back for swimming.

I "think" that's how most people do it, but it never felt comfortable for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dominant leg (right) forward for me while swimming for me. Same on the track, although when running distance the start isn't really all that critical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forward.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran sprints in high school and a bit beyond (400) and to be honest, I don't think I ever put too much thought into which leg was forward, but I did a few tests and it turns out my dominant leg is forward - which is my left. I never had a great start so maybe I'm not the best example.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely dominant forward from my BMX days. Still almost always win every hole shot award in cross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dominant leg back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inside leg forward for the kilo and team sprint, to push you up track. Those wimpy pursuiters can start however they want since their starts don’t matter ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For more than a few people, the dominant leg is more co ordinated (think reaction time) but sometimes the plant leg (think soccer) is stronger.

At least for me, try one leg squats or one leg stadium hops. I kick right but my left leg is stronger but less co ordinated.

*pure anecdote*

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forward. Just a little more comfortable that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Inside leg forward for the kilo and team sprint, to push you up track. Those wimpy pursuiters can start however they want since their starts don’t matter ;)

I'm just a wimpy pursuiter/team pursuiter :-), and I start inside leg forward. However, I was told some time ago that you should start outside leg back because the inside leg forward start pushes you up track against gravity and works against you. For me though it's just about comfort as that is the way I have always started TT's and it just feels wrong to put my outside leg forward. I guess I could practice, but even if it's wrong, the way I start now is better than if I put the other leg forward so I just do that.

Besides I'm not that wimpy, my pursuit start peaks out at hundreds of watts. :-)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my case as well. Left leg is strong leg, right leg has more range of motion and balance. I put left leg forward for swim and running starts as it the drive leg. For cyclocross starts though I use right leg clipped in because I am better clipping in my left foot from years of stopping at stop lights and unclipping the non-drive train side. Also I prefer to track stand with the wheel to the right since this is away from the cars when I’m in the bike lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm weak leg forward in swimming and cycling but my brain is a little crossed. In bmx I prefer to jump/air to my left with my left foot forward. Same on a skateboard I prefer to turn front side (blind) with my left foot forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

I'm just a wimpy pursuiter/team pursuiter :-), and I start inside leg forward. However, I was told some time ago that you should start outside leg back because the inside leg forward start pushes you up track against gravity and works against you. For me though it's just about comfort as that is the way I have always started TT's and it just feels wrong to put my outside leg forward. I guess I could practice, but even if it's wrong, the way I start now is better than if I put the other leg forward so I just do that.

Besides I'm not that wimpy, my pursuit start peaks out at hundreds of watts. :-)

Agreed. Although I'd much prefer to start inside leg forward, my data has shown that I'm faster Lap 1 with the outside leg forward mainly because I'm not fighting to stay on the track.

Interesting thing I've been noting recently is I'm one of the only people I've noticed out here (UK) that unclips their right foot when stopped. Of course I did grow up in the US so I wonder if there's a relationship between flow of traffic and dominant leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
For more than a few people, the dominant leg is more co ordinated (think reaction time) but sometimes the plant leg (think soccer) is stronger.

At least for me, try one leg squats or one leg stadium hops. I kick right but my left leg is stronger but less co ordinated.

*pure anecdote*

Maurice

This actually sums it up pretty well for myself I think. Said earlier my dominant leg (right) goes back on the blocks for swimming.

For soccer I was better kicking with my right foot so planted on my left. If doing single leg hops of one leg squats, I’d do it on my left leg. So I guess I’m “planting” with my left leg forward on the blocks as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the only thought I’ve ever put into this btw. I just always did it because it was more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of the fastest starts back in the day, but that was primarily because I leaned far forward in my track start. I don’t know why folks would lean back or be flat. I Wouldn’t say that I have a dominant leg...I write and throw left-handed but do pretty much everything else right handed. It was always right leg forward simply because left leg forward seems awkward? So I guess it was more of a balance/stability type thing. I’m sure if I went left leg forward I could have made it just as fast though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Which way do you do it? This is mostly for the swimmers, but if there are any athletics folks (or BMX'ers / trackies) here you can chime in too.

When I did swim meets it was dominant leg forward. When I was a speed skater I did the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dominant leg back
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H2Owings wrote:
I had one of the fastest starts back in the day, but that was primarily because I leaned far forward in my track start. I don’t know why folks would lean back or be flat. I Wouldn’t say that I have a dominant leg...I write and throw left-handed but do pretty much everything else right handed. It was always right leg forward simply because left leg forward seems awkward? So I guess it was more of a balance/stability type thing. I’m sure if I went left leg forward I could have made it just as fast though.

It's just a matter of going into the water with more speed. Harder to maintain full control and have a clean entry, and you're getting off the blocks slower, but leaning far back launches you in faster. It's not always about quickest off the blocks but rather who's maintaining more speed into the water.

You do need to have a somewhat quick reaction time though if this is your method.
Last edited by: CVH1296: Feb 28, 19 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I put my dominant leg back, but it would make sense the have it forward too. Your first push is your back leg, but the last push is the forward one. So I would tend to think dominant forward would be the best, what does Kaleb do?? That is the best start in swimming, ever. So I would tend to go with whatever he does.

And I wonder if it also has to do with which way you surf?(provided you surf, or snowboard too?) I'm goof foot, so my dominant leg is forward, the opposite of my swim start, what do you others do who that participate in both sports??
Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caeleb does right foot forward. I assume that’s his dominant leg?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Track start poll - dominant leg forward or back? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I snowboard goofy and track start (swim) with my left foot forward. I just assumed it's my dominant leg since I did speedskating stand up starts with left foot forward, push down with my left foot first from a stop on a bike and start on a run with my left foot.

For what it's worth...I'm right handed, bat, golf (you could call it golf), play hockey, bowl...all right handed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next