Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Toyota Cup Challenge - prizes awarded
Quote | Reply
update: look at today's posts, we've awarded our first two prizes: a timex global trainer and a SRAM force gruppo.

this is the BIG one for 2011. lots of prizes to be given away. 6 weeks. points based. we should all be doing all 3 sports now, so, no reason for excuses. still, if you have excuses, this is the official thread.

Point system is as follows:

1 mile cycling = 1 point
1 mile running = 4 points
100 meters swimming = 1 point

And here is the link to the challenge:

http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenge/points/86

Each discipline recorded in the training log automatically gets added to the challenge you signed up for.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 27, 11 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about quality points and not quantity points? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
points is points. the training log doesn't have a multiplier for points based on quality, even tho we have an RPE scale to rate each workout's intensity. in this case, it's just about the volume of work you do.

however, when it comes to giving prizes away, that will occur based on what's going on inside some of your workouts over the 6 week campaign. we're not saying what these factors are.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I know, and understand quality is in the eye of the beholder. I'll be logging for the heck of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
points is points. the training log doesn't have a multiplier for points based on quality, even tho we have an RPE scale to rate each workout's intensity. in this case, it's just about the volume of work you do.

however, when it comes to giving prizes away, that will occur based on what's going on inside some of your workouts over the 6 week campaign. we're not saying what these factors are.

Without giving it away does that mean we would have to log exactly what we did in each training session? i.e. 2x20, mile repeats etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Never done a challenge before. Is there a link that explains the point system?

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, all you have to do is log your total mileage/yardage, time each workout took, and log it on the day the workout took place. anything else you want to log is fine, you can download your electronic files, or make courses via the training log and select the course whenever you use it for a workout, put in whatever detail you want, up to you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
point system is as follows:

1 mile cycling = 1 point
100 meters swimming = 1 point

if you're going to be doing any nordic skiing, you can get points or that too, but, in north america at least i think we're pretty close to done.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Can we get any bonus points for the crazy stuff our masters coaches throw in??? We did so much sculling today, I can barely type............

Cheers!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're sculling, you get fewer points. just put one arm in front of the other. keep it simple.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that kind of sculling! We do sculling races (feet first!)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts today! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who mostly lurks here, it's been a while since I took part in a Slowtwitch challenge. But I figure that this is a good one to take part in so I'm in.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my first st challenge looking forward to it
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts today! [doTheRunningMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The challenges get nuts. There's a couple with 4 workouts already today.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts today! [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I have zero things to do until Med school starts in august so what the hell :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
point system is as follows:

1 mile cycling = 1 point
100 meters swimming = 1 point.

What do you think this is...a triathlon forum??? :-)

Running should be negative points, says the ride/weights only gal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts today! [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya it looks pretty crazy already. I'm going with the consistency approach and just try to log a couple hours a day. Worse case it gets me logging workouts again.
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not that kind of sculling! We do sculling races (feet first!)

Cool.

I'm in! Just found it this morning. Prizes are fun!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman-

How does it affect my chances when I am on vacation without connectivity next week? I will enter the workouts when I return...

JP
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [jpbari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's no problem at all.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [jpbari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpbari wrote:
Slowman-

How does it affect my chances when I am on vacation without connectivity next week? I will enter the workouts when I return...

JP

You can always back enter them.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Toyota Cup Challenge starts tomorrow [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys. I just didn't know if there were points along the way where something would be tallied/awarded in the middle of a week or something where getting to a computer might help my chances.

I will definitely back-enter them when I return, but likely won't make too big an effort to get back on the grid during the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Dan,

Trying to enter a workout and the page keeps freezing and reloading. I am unable to enter any data.

Jim

Quantum wrote:
How about quality points and not quantity points? ;)

I'd like to see a points/minute ranking. As it is, it seems like a challenge to see who has the most spare time, through happenstance or plan, organized his life so as to enable him to spend the most time training.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: May 25, 11 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

Perhaps we can dedicate a week of this challenge to Steve Larsen. As you recall, a few years ago, he passed away around this time and we had a challenge to raise some money for his kids etc:

http://www.rememberstevelarsen.com/

Maybe we can check back with his family if this would be OK again?

Anyway, this is timely, as I need to put in some specific training for IM Switzerland....just bike commuting, running at lunch and not going to the pool is not going to be acceptable....hopefully a month with some more specific workouts will help the picture.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 25, 11 7:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next