Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are in. You'd never know by our team names...

Looking forward to the Vuelta in France!

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
There may have been a year when Hinault was technically wearing yellow and green at one point inside the Tour de France.

Merckx won yellow, green, and polka dot in 1969.

He would have won the white jersey too, if it had been introduced. That's why they called him the cannibal or the baby eater.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sivakov crashed already and 3 min back from the front. Alaphillippe crashed but is OK, but his team mechanic could not remove the front disc wheel so he got a bike change. There are rivers of water flowing down the roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put Sivakov on my Velogames team so he's obviously cursed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alaphillippe looks like he's in eye view of the peloton now and does not look banged up. I heard Pierre Latour crashed too, but not sure where he is.

Can Sagan take a yellow today?

Edit: Julian attached to the back of the stragglers, but now he can't use the cars to reattach to the main peloton that is 40 seconds up the road....and WTF....Sivakov chases down the peloton and catches up on the flats on the Promenade des Anglais and has ANOTHER crash
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 29, 20 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakarin, Nieve and Richie Porte go down right near the Ironman France finish line on the Promenade just prior to the lead up to the first sprint. Sagan took 4th after the breakaway took the top 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well that was a crash fest... pretty bad when the riders neutralize racing because of the danger. Hope everyone is Ok and no ill effects of the crashes. This first week is going to be treacherous. The GC guys just need to get through without loosing time.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The slow down reminded me of 2010 and the Fabian Cancellara-lead peloton slow down after all the crashes on the oily roads.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Fabian then Tony martin now... the Patron takes control, glad that cooler heads prevailed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was interesting seeing Roglic come up to one of the Astana riders (who were breaking the truce) saying to cool it. Tibault Pinot looked pretty banged up too.

Cyclingnews.com has this article in which they interviewd Luke Rowe: https://www.cyclingnews.com/...-look-pretty-stupid/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
well that was a crash fest... pretty bad when the riders neutralize racing because of the danger. Hope everyone is Ok and no ill effects of the crashes. This first week is going to be treacherous. The GC guys just need to get through without loosing time.

So much for disc brakes and their superior braking in wet conditions.

I did, however, see a super slow rear wheel change and Alaphilippe's front disc fully locked up requiring a full bike change rather than the 3 second front wheel change in the old days.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I did, however, see a super slow rear wheel change and Alaphilippe's front disc fully locked up requiring a full bike change rather than the 3 second front wheel change in the old days.

That wheel change took forever. I am surprised he did not just jump on the spare bike immediately. In any case, the mechanic fumbling around with the drill to unspin the bolt on the through axle kind of looked comical. Do you remember Denis Mechov's crash at the final Giro ITT in Rome on the cobbles, and his mechanic following in the team car was as fast as a cat, jumped out of the car, and had the spare bike off the roof rack and Menchov back on the road in sub 10 seconds to save the Maglia Rosa?

I was watching the entire debacle with Alaphillipple standing helplessly while the mechanic kind of fumbled. In any case, I was riding a downhill 3 days ago with a friend who joined for part of the ride. He was 30 lbs heavier than me and we were descending a 75kph steep hill (its 15% in places coming up) and it ends in a roundabout. In any case, he was on his Felt IA disc and just slammed the brakes and literally stopped on a dime. Even with my lighter weight on rim brakes it was pretty hairy for me to stop in time. But if we were on slick wet stuff, he would have locked his rear wheel (he actually said that right afterwards...."lucky there was no rain, I slammed too hard and would have locked up"). In any case a mixed peloton in terms of brake technology and variations in stoppping power and you can see how this can be problematic especially when its the first rainfall in 6-8 weeks in Nice....those roads must have been grease laden from the entire summer!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

The disc brake riders only went down because they had rim brakers running into their backsides uncontrolled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
kny wrote:

The disc brake riders only went down because they had rim brakers running into their backsides uncontrolled.

I think that's essentially the problem. Its almost like you want all or none.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
kny wrote:

I was just kidding, just not worth taking rim-disc wars seriously anymore. No idea how most of the crashes happened, except it looked so slippery that I doubt magic brakes could have been much help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
kny wrote:

I was just kidding, just not worth taking rim-disc wars seriously anymore. No idea how most of the crashes happened, except it looked so slippery that I doubt magic brakes could have been much help.

It was an ice rink (see: https://www.youtube.com/...e=youtu.be&t=142). Riders didn't even need to touch their brakes to crash; lots of hydroplaning and road paint issues.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bicycle tyres Can’t hydroplane because of their shape and the shape of the contact patch. Paint, Oil and gasoline has an effect in the cities, But it’s mainly because of a layer of dust that make the roads so slippery and it’s usually like that places where it doesn’t rain a lot. Otherwise they’d be using threaded tyres in the rain, But it doesn’t make a difference on a bicycle.
Lopez’ speedway style crash comes in first place from a visual artistic point
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I follow your statement. I would tend to agree that the narrower the surface the less susceptible it is to hydrodynamic planing, but viscous hydroplaning seems probable, the tire width vs fluid film layer is orders of magnitude higher, wouldn't it? Not trying to be a smarta$$, but if you have any math/physics reference to prove the contrary, I would be interested in reading.
Last edited by: Engner66: Aug 30, 20 2:59
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I am not sure I follow your statement. I would tend to agree that the narrower the surface the less susceptible it is to hydrodynamic planing, but viscous hydroplaning seems probable, the tire width vs fluid film layer is orders of magnitude higher, wouldn't it? Not trying to be a smarta$$, but if you have any math/physics reference to prove the contrary, I would be interested in reading.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#hydroplaning
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main thing is a fantastic sunny day in Nice today. No worry about what types of brakes and Sagan is over some of the major climbs with the main group. Not sure if any of you guys watched Lance and George on WeDu last night....Lance had a great immitation of Peter Sagan....."I am here to win!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
kny wrote:

Just to add to this discussion:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...-the-tour-de-france/

One key point in this article is that Mavic neutral support only carries rim brake wheels, so if your team car is not in sight and you need a wheel change, then you give the advantage to Jumbo and Ineos who are on rim brakes and can use Mavic, but you cannnot if you need a quick wheel change and are disc set up.

Great stage today. Gotta hand it to Alaphilippe. Everyone knew 10 months ago when they announced the route pretty well exactly where he would attack to try to get enough for a gap over the top of that final climb to hold off the peloton for the stage win and yellow. His advantage is that Jumbo and Ineos really are not worried about him on GC so it was up to others really to shut him down if they wanted the stage and yellow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://imgresizer.eurosport.com/...197288-2560-1440.jpg

Is JA winning the stage wearing a $170,000 Richard Mille watch the ultimate flex?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
https://imgresizer.eurosport.com/unsafe/1200x0/filters:format(jpeg):focal(1267x522:1269x520)/origin-imgresizer.eurosport.com/2020/08/30/2874464-59197288-2560-1440.jpg

Is JA winning the stage wearing a $170,000 Richard Mille watch the ultimate flex?

Maybe he wore it because he knew the Garmin servers were all broken again today and wouldn't be able to upload data to Connect from a Fenix ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if this is the official TdF race thread ...

Curious why did Sagan push solo for so long up that climb? Why not immediately rest and fall back to peloton?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Race Banter: It's Wide Open [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious why did Sagan push solo for so long up that climb? Why not immediately rest and fall back to peloton?

Good questions. It did seem a bit odd. Given how Stage 3 played out in the end, with it's Milan-San-Remo - like finale over the final 20km, he may have been a factor there. But that's all second guessing and the way Bike Racing goes.

Perhaps it could have been as simple as him wanting to test the legs a bit and get in a harder day on purpose for fitness purposes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next