Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour Du Zwift 2021
Quote | Reply
The TDZ snuck up on me this year!

I just got home from 2 months in Kona chasing Strava run segments. It was fun. I walked into my pain cave back in Alaska last night to jump on Zwift for first time in 2 months with zero biking. I was surprised to see TDZ started and last night was last races for Stage 1. I had to race but decided to jump in to C race and just go for a cruise whereas I usually do A. Test the sandbag algorithm maybe?

It was scramble to get all my stuff together, music, water, spandex, shoes etc. 5 minutes to race time... start spinning.

I noticed the categories are broken into ABCD etc but now appears that the criteria is based more on course length than FTP of riders? They all sat 1-5 w/kg. Either way I just planned on sticking with the front and see where it went.

3x lap Central Park, total 12 miles. This will be fast.

We started and it definitely was not as hot out the gates as A race. Almost comfortable for a few minutes, then I started to sweat. A couple guys made little pops off the front like they were gonna run. I made a couple half decent efforts trying to reel the guys back into the group.

We settled into a rhythm on the flats and jumping up to 5-6w/kg on the short climbs, but staying comfortable.

At end of 1st lap we were a group of 10 (out of 150 total) pushing the pace a little. I hatched plan to relax through 2nd lap and then hammer the third. I'm sure most were thinking something similar. That lap could be real long if I go too hard too early...

1st lap 9min, 2nd lap 18min. Alright looks like 7-8 minutes of pain...

Right after the banner I hammered the first hill at maybe 6-7 watts and dropped into steady 4.5 for the duration. I can do this! I made a quick 50 meter gap (7sec) and could see their numbers jumping as they tried to bridge back up to me. Time to bury the needle!

I held 4.5-4.8 or so for another couple minutes and then the reality of the effort made itself known to me. labored breathing. Running legs not sure what to do with bike pedals. No sand bag algorithm to be seen.

I knew they wanted too reel me in bad. I could see their numbers staying strong and I knew if they worked together they could probably get me. Maybe I was far enough ahead they were now racing for second...?

I swear the little mile mark number never moved so slow!
2.5 miles I cant do this.
2.25 OMg

2.01 Im still here?
1.75 on deaths door

I could see they were up to 5 sec back

1.5 legs getting wobbly

1.25 they at 4 sec

.9 my left calf started cramping. My wife comes to see what the noise is all about

.5 they at 4 sec

Then I saw the numbers start jumping 7.5! 8.4! They smell blood!

400 feet and I can barely get out 4.2

Dude is down to 3 sec. I died and then was reborn again 1000 more times in that last 30 seconds of racing and then crossed the finish 1st, 2 seconds up... I nearly fall off the bike and go outside to cool off, my dog looked concerned.

Anyway, I was dead today. resting a couple days before Stage 2.

Im thinking a couple more C races to build confidence then jump back up to A and see what happens... is this sandbagging considering race criteria?
Last edited by: JYoung: Jan 10, 21 0:00
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those arenā€™t C cat races as you pointed out. Itā€™s just different distances and they out a Cat to it for simplicity.

If you really were racing in C cat youā€™d be DQā€™d by Zwiftpower and rightly so.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations you won a group ride!
https://zwiftinsider.com/tour-de-zwift-races/
The ā€œraceā€for stage one was the London classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:

I nearly spit out my coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TL;DR

But i found it odd yesterday that I did Stage 2, but due to a computer issue, i did not join until 4-5 minutes into the ride and was still given credit for complete the Stage but complete all the miles

I guess, I will wait til at least 45 minutes into the Stage 3 Road to Sky to join in :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [IM-Yeti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM-Yeti wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:

Me too!

My understanding was the categories were length and amount of climbing with the D Cat reserved for the women only group. I didnā€™t think these were actually races as such.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
IM-Yeti wrote:
mikemelbrooks wrote:

Me too!

My understanding was the categories were length and amount of climbing with the D Cat reserved for the women only group. I didnā€™t think these were actually races as such.

I'm confused, are there actual races I can't see? I recall there was last year, but I can only pick group rides on the sign-up page?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

IMPORTANT NOTE RE: COMPANION AND FILTERING
TdZ races will not show up in the Companion app if youā€™re filtering to only show ā€œRacesā€. They are tagged as group rides, so make sure your filters include that!
CATEGORIES
Categories are based on your FTP watts/kilogram:
MENā€™S RACE CATEGORIES
  • A: 4-5 w/kg
  • B: 3.2-3.9 w/kg
  • C: 2.5-3.1 w/kg
  • D: 1-2.4 w/kg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are the races? Why they showing contradictory FTP cats? Why those guys chasing me down like they want to win?! Not trying to sound hyperbolic, is all TDZ group ride this year?

I like the first year TDZ when it was 1000 people at the start and GO! and I was more stoked on a 50th place finish! Just kidding I'm gonna screen shot #1 and print and frame and hang on wall.
Last edited by: JYoung: Jan 10, 21 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE RE: COMPANION AND FILTERING
TdZ races will not show up in the Companion app if youā€™re filtering to only show ā€œRacesā€. They are tagged as group rides, so make sure your filters include that!
CATEGORIES
Categories are based on your FTP watts/kilogram:
MENā€™S RACE CATEGORIES
  • A: 4-5 w/kg
  • B: 3.2-3.9 w/kg
  • C: 2.5-3.1 w/kg
  • D: 1-2.4 w/kg

Yes but the description of the TdZ events in the companion app describes A,B,C, and D as groups and not categories.

I donā€™t think Zwift is setting these up as races, though Iā€™m sure youā€™re free to race them if you want to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why those guys chasing me down like they want to win?

Because they're cyclists. And cyclists chase down anyone in front of them. I rode stage 2 this morning at zone 2 pace and chased someone down for 819th place in the final 200m. It's what we do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
Where are the races? Why they showing contradictory FTP cats? Why those guys chasing me down like they want to win?! Not trying to sound hyperbolic, is all TDZ group ride this year?

I like the first year TDZ when it was 1000 people at the start and GO! and I was more stoked on a 50th place finish! Just kidding I'm gonna screen shot #1 and print and frame and hang on wall.

Don't sweat the snark. You're a strong-enough rider if you can win a non category-power limited zwift group ride.

I don't find the 'races' any less competitive than the TdZ rides. In fact, I find the Tdz or any large group ride MORE competitive simply because there are more riders near your strength trying to crush you.

I haven't done a single mass group ride yet on Zwift where I've easy-pedaled the last 5 minutes. I do the large majority of them mostly in non-race mode, meaning z2, and even z1 when I start, but by the time it's into the last 15 minutes, I'm not messing around anymore, and seems like everyone around is doing the same, as they're not vanishing quickly as the effort ramps up a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are kinda like mini fondos this year. People of any ability can enter any of the routes; some people will compete (overall or against the blob they end up in) and some will treat it as a group ride. The A,B,C designations are a bit confusing since those typically denote an ability level; here's it's just a route choice.

I did one of the "A" rides on 3.2w/kg and was in the top 1/3 of finishers....no way that happens in an A zwift race. I did notice that the starts are much more sedate than last year (may just be that the fields are more mixed in ability).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been the most entertaining thread of 2021 so far ;-)

That said, I love longer group rides, because nobody in your group of six wants to get dropped after 60k. Personally, I found the level of detail provided by the OP to be fascinating šŸ˜‚
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Jan 10, 21 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ well shoot, I'm hoping you guys can come up with your own melodramatic play by play as I plan on doing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an awesome story, and while the TDZ isnā€™t a ā€œrace,ā€ I bet the vast majority of participants are putting in a pretty strong effort. I did one of the first Stage 1 rides and I think there were 10,000+ people in it. It was crazy fast and I treated it like a ā€œraceā€ because it just started at redline pace and I got caught up in it. On Stage 2, I purposefully took it much easier but still got caught up in the group and started hammering at the end. I guarantee you if I was ever anywhere near the front like you were, I would be giving it my all. Impressive ride!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the longer rides, but I actually really like doing multiple TdZ stages back to back on the hour. You can do 45-55 minutes on, then go easy or go to the kitchen or bathroom and then resume with a solid group. I have done this twice so far - and each time repeated the same stage and EVEN cruised back to the pens before hitting JOIN so that I could put the ride files together into one almost seamless ride. The fear of getting dropped from the group on Zwift is too real so having natural breaks/resets is so nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10.000+ is a lot of people! I has 250 on my Race this afternoon.

First year doing Tour Du Zwift. In the past I had different objectives early in the season so I've never tried!

It is actually a lot of fun. Really enjoying it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
I like the longer rides, but I actually really like doing multiple TdZ stages back to back on the hour. You can do 45-55 minutes on, then go easy or go to the kitchen or bathroom and then resume with a solid group. I have done this twice so far - and each time repeated the same stage and EVEN cruised back to the pens before hitting JOIN so that I could put the ride files together into one almost seamless ride. The fear of getting dropped from the group on Zwift is too real so having natural breaks/resets is so nice.

This is brilliant, however, being relatively new to Zwift I have no idea how you even do that, i.e. cruise back to the pens and stitch the files together. Although I'm not so sure I'd want to do that for the Stage 3 routes. Ouch!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, it's pretty silly and unnecessary, just kind of a mental game and makes the map at the end look real. You CAN do three different stages in a row too, and put them together into one right file - the map will just be really weird with long connectors from Richmond to Yorkshire, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The multiple rides thing works well. I typically do the first one fairly hard, then for the 2nd one go about 80%. The hard part is letting groups go during the 2nd one, especially when you know you are able to bridge. I'll typically spend most of the 2nd ride pulling a blob and engaging in the occasional chat. It posts to Strava/gConnect as two rides, but that's ok.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had scheduled myself for Stage 2 race (group ride) tonight at 8 pm. Then this morning there was 30" of snow at our ski hill so I had to go crush some laps, this first of the season actually. Since my legs were beat, I decided to just go inspect the Harrogate course instead of racing and I am glad I did.

I had totally forgot that first hill out the gate and the rest of the course is either up or down. A couple steady pulls in there that would have caught me off guard. I researched at Zwift Insider and caught a few tips from the course preview.

I'm thinking that since I am on the bigger side of 89kg I can afford to blast the climbs a bit harder and then expect a better rest on the dh more then the lighter competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I had scheduled myself for Stage 2 race (group ride) tonight at 8 pm. Then this morning there was 30" of snow at our ski hill so I had to go crush some laps, this first of the season actually. Since my legs were beat, I decided to just go inspect the Harrogate course instead of racing and I am glad I did.

I had totally forgot that first hill out the gate and the rest of the course is either up or down. A couple steady pulls in there that would have caught me off guard. I researched at Zwift Insider and caught a few tips from the course preview.

I'm thinking that since I am on the bigger side of 89kg I can afford to blast the climbs a bit harder and then expect a better rest on the dh more then the lighter competition.
...so, just in case you missed it - TdZ does not include races this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:

Bigger riders don't blast hills at all. You survive them. Then wait out for the inevitable catchup before the finish. Climbers attack hills.

Either way, that's not a race. It's a Zwift fondo.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Du Zwift 2021 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make it sound like bigger riders and climbers are two different things ...?
Quote Reply

Prev Next