Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Total Immersion weekend camp Vs a coach
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about taking a total immersion weekend camp. My question is would I be better off getting a private coach or take the camp. The price for the camp is $450.00. I think that I could get a coach for the same price for a longer amount of time. Is total immersion worth taking or not?
Last edited by: ajmilk: Oct 8, 03 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion weekend camp Vs a coach [ajmilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a camp a month ago in the UK. Found the course really helpful in terms of going though the drills. We had a coach per 4 swimmers and I felt I got enough inividual attention (but I gather they may run with more swimmers per coach at some weekend courses). One of the main benefits I had was taking my wife along to do the course as well - we now go to the pool around 3 times a week and coach each other - I suspect this greatly increases the value of the Total Immersion experience/spend!

Won't be in a position to say if all this will work let - I'm not racing again until next April. So its just drills for the rest of the year to try and drive in good new habits and drive out the bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the TI course in Atlanta 2 years ago and I found it to be a great learning experience and a good use, relatively, of my money. I came to the workshop as a pretty crappy swimmer with really no confidence. I was even a little hesitant to show up at a workshop thinking that I wouldn't even be able to complete the drills, etc.

I was pleasantly suprised at how well-run the workshop was how well TI accomaded every level of swimmer. We started with just floating on our backs and didn't take a whole stroke until the end of the workshop at which time everything they taught us came together and made sense. My balance was much improved and gave me the confidence to join a masters team where I became an average swimmer as opposed to a crappy one.

That said, if you find a local coach who is good that may be just as valuable. But don't trust someone who just has you swimming laps saying you'll get better with practice. Drills, consistent swimming and hard work are the only way to improve your stroke. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My slant on this as a mediocre (at best) swimmer is that having a person to view your stroke consistently and monitor your workouts/performance over time may be quite valuable. I have never been to the TI course but have reviewed all the course materials, the video and spoken to a number of people who have done the workshop. Everyone has said it was of some value. Additionally, I have had my stroke videotaped above water and underwater on a few occasions. One thing that creats problems for me is when a coach looks at my stroke and says, "Well, that looks pretty good except you are over-reaching, you need to lean forward and press the bouy, you need to rotate from the hips and finish your stroke more, be sure to keep your head at such and such an angle, blah, blah, blah....." I need someone to look at my stroke and say, "OK, first off I want you to focus on your entry point as you begin the reach phase. Don;t worry about anything else..." One thing at a time I can handle. 6 things is mind boggling. Doug Stern did a great job for me at his triathlon training camp on Curacao. Sheila Taormina was his assitant. Between the two of them I learned a lot.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion weekend camp Vs a coach [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doug Stern did a great job for me at his triathlon training camp on Curacao. Sheila Taormina was his assitant. Between the two of them I learned a lot.
Another calm and serene morning derailed - now I am plagued with images of the possibilities of what can be learned while being between Doug Stern and Sheila Taormina... ;-)

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Total Immersion weekend camp Vs a coach [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former age group coach, I was able to help my swimmers improve much faster by taking them into the diving well or shallows and work with them 1 on 1. 1 on 15 or 20 was a bit tougher. Nothing beats a bit of hands on work by someone who knows what they are doing. With a coach you can get long term teaching. make consistent improvements, get reinforcement and feedback.
One weekend might impact your swimming but several sessions over the course of a month or two WILL improve your stroke permanently.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 11, 03 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I participated in a TI workshop in Chicago this past March. The money I spent was the best investment I think I could have made to improve my confidence in the water. Over 2 days you spend 8 hours in the water, practicing the drills and building muscle memory to last as long one feels like sticking to the technique.

I hadn't swam since grade school swimming lessons, but the level of comfort and confidence the TI workshop built over those 2 days were invaluable in facing my 1st tri's.

- Cheryl
Quote Reply