Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TorHans Aero Hydration
Quote | Reply
Hello Athletes!

We are proud to introduce to you all here on Slowtwitch.com our new company TorHans Performance Hydration.

We have designed new aerodynamic hydration systems for cyclists and triathletes. Our goal is to be the proven leader in aerodynamic hydration.
Our first product the AERO 30 will debut in Kona on 10/9/10 with a select few athletes. This product, as well as our smaller AERO 20, will be available at your favorite Tri retailer in early November. Bottles specific to the frame will be available in early 2011.

Our website http://www.torhans.com will be live in early October. You can visit it now for any questions you may have.
Visit us on http://www.facebook.com to view the latest photos of the AERO 30.
Our Twitter acct. torhansaero will be rocking shortly.
We appreciate and welcome all feedback.
Ride safe, fast, and hydrate!

Here are some details of our first product.
AERO 30
The Aero 30 is the most aerodynamic, aero-bar mounted, hydration system on the market today. With its 30oz capacity, high aspect ratio bottle design, dual-channel mounting system, patent pending AeroFlow straw, and XFlow fill-on-the-go cap, this bottle will keep you fast and hydrated without ever coming out of your aero position.
The Aero 30 was designed to mesh perfectly with your time trial or triathlon bike. With its 72-degree trailing-edge bottle and its dual vertical mounting channels, the Aero 30 is set at to match the head tube of most time trial and triathlon bicycles available today. As well, the adjustable mount can accommodate bar widths up to 14cm. Additionally, the unique dual-channel mounting systems gives you the ability to integrate the TorHans accessory tray (sold separately) to the unused channel, where it can hold your bike computer, energy gels, map, or whatever else you need handy.
Fast isn’t enough at TorHans…and that’s why the Aero 30 is also BPA free! All future Torhans products will also be BPA free.

Includes:
– 30oz Aero bottle
– AeroFlow straw housing & straw
– XFlow fill-on-the-go cap
– Aero bar dual-channel mounting system
– Mounting accessories
http://www.torhans.com

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted- got any photos you can post here?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Tom said. I am one of the 3 people in the world who have a computer, but are not on Facebook. So, do a Luddite a solid, please?

I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate...
Hello?... hello?... hello?
Echo... echo... echo...

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota... Mota... Mota....
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What Tom said. I am one of the 3 people in the world who have a computer, but are not on Facebook. So, do a Luddite a solid, please?

I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate...
Hello?... hello?... hello?
Echo... echo... echo...

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota... Mota... Mota....
;-)

TorHans....yeah I crashed without gloves once and that happened.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

;-)

So, that's you, and me....all we gotta do is find that third person......we could actually meet up....and talk IN PERSON....WOW, what a concept that would be ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty nice so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats pretty well thought out. i like the aero straw.

puts almost all the other aero drink systems to shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the origin of the name?

I gotta say that for a first attempt it looks pretty good (from the very limited pics shown). But you have overlooked one important thing: all of the bar-mounted straw-using drinking systems have a common flaw: the straw diameterws are way too large. In addition to adding more drag, more importantly this forces riders to swallow huge gulps of air with every drink attempt. It is not necessary and I modifed mine (a 10 year old NXT system) to take a human-sized straw diameter, and now it works flawlessly. Why did you choose such a big straw diameter?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Dark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how wide is the bottle? what is the minimum distance you could run between your aerobars? I ask because I have my bars about 1.25in apart.

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank for positive feedback. Very nice.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Dark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's the origin of the name?

I gotta say that for a first attempt it looks pretty good (from the very limited pics shown). But you have overlooked one important thing: all of the bar-mounted straw-using drinking systems have a common flaw: the straw diameterws are way too large. In addition to adding more drag, more importantly this forces riders to swallow huge gulps of air with every drink attempt. It is not necessary and I modifed mine (a 10 year old NXT system) to take a human-sized straw diameter, and now it works flawlessly. Why did you choose such a big straw diameter?[/rep
ly]

Very interesting thought on the diameter of the straw being to large. We've looked at several bite valves to use with the bottle. Some being male(inserted into the straw), and some being female (over the straw). I think hydration systems like ours and the others should be used with anti siphon (bite valves) to avoid this very problem you are talking about. We are still reviewing the best one to go with. You get a lot less fluid with the male versions while the female, i.e. Camelbak highs a lot more. Our diameter of our straw is 7mm. As for the diameter of a round straw having a lot of drag-totally agree. Hence our aero mast to counter act this drag as much as possible.

Origin of the name is the 2 founders first names combined. One is Norwegian the other is Swedish.
Thanks for the feedback.
Much more to come
Hans aka Ted Striker.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More photos uploaded to facebook. For all you wanting to join the "group" Torhans on Facebook we'll have it up in a few days.

Also I'm surprised no one has asked the question yet, but we have tested this with very, very good results in the wind tunnel in San Diego. We tested it on a superbike and will publish the results on our website in early October. The bottle was refined a lot in CFD software courtesy of one of our engineers who designs low speed airfoils for UAVs.

We will be in Kona starting October 5th.
Thanks again guys,
Ted Striker

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torhans....yeah I crashed without gloves once and that happened.

That's funny man! Not the crash of course though.

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [step up] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
how wide is the bottle? what is the minimum distance you could run between your aerobars? I ask because I have my bars about 1.25in apart.

Sorry, about 7cm out to 14cm is what the mount is designed for. We did do a custom bottle/Garmin holder for the Garmin Transitions team. They run their bars similar to yours. This is a proto only bottle in UCI limbo right now. We probably will not take it to market anytime soon. It only holds 10oz as well so not the best for anything over 40k.

Thanks.
-Ted

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

;-)

So, that's you, and me....all we gotta do is find that third person......we could actually meet up....and talk IN PERSON....WOW, what a concept that would be ;-)

I must be the third person, too bad I live in NZ, so meeting up could be a challenge. what we need is some kind of social networking website perhaps :p

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good, although there seems to be a design flaw in the top being sealed.... how I am supposed to make sure I get sticky sports drink all over my bike every time I hit a bump in the road, or eject yellow sponges to warn following riders of any potholes?
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks good, although there seems to be a design flaw in the top being sealed.... how I am supposed to make sure I get sticky sports drink all over my bike every time I hit a bump in the road, or eject yellow sponges to warn following riders of any potholes?

Haha. I'm sorry man. I'll see what I can do when we design our next bottle.
Thanks,
-Ted

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, I'll buy one.
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fancy and nice but I'll stick to my Aero Hammock, thank you very much. Nothing beats the convenience of picking a bottle, any bottle in any size shape or form, putting it in the hammock and chucking it when you don't need it only to wait for the second one.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see a model with a flexible straw that can be tucked behind the unit out of the wind and quickly raised for sipping. Don't know how feasible it is or if that was considered and rejected, but that's my main objection to the front-mounted aero bottle (on a frame with an aero headtube).

Looks like a well-researched, thoughtfully designed unit. I like it.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: TriSRV: Sep 17, 10 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff. I'm curious to see the data you claim, since I'm one of those people who avoids screwing with a lovely sculpted headtube...
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Interesting stuff. I'm curious to see the data you claim, since I'm one of those people who avoids screwing with a lovely sculpted headtube...

Agreed. The Felts, Cervelos, Treks, Giants of the world have spent a lot of time engineering strong, light, and very aerodynamic airfoil tubes on their frames. As athletes we then add increased drag to the bike in the form of waterbottles or other hydration devices. As an athlete, a fan of this innovation, and someone who deals with aeronautical aerodynamics on a daily basis this has always bothered me that nothing better has existed. Of course we have to hydrate in any endurance event but we've been doing it in a very inefficient manner for so long. No one (IMHO) has given us the same technology in hydration products that Felt, Cervelo, Zipp, Hed etc. has given to to theirs. I started TorHans with a couple other professionals to do just that.

All of our products are designed not to be just aero alone, but we are also designing them to blend(if you will) with the laminar airflow of your frame, and deliver the fluid in the easiest and most efficient way to the rider. This allows you to drink more and perform better.

The AERO 30 addresses these ideas. This is why it is our first product. 2 channels to optimize adjustment. Rear angle of the bottle blends closely with your headtube. Aerostraw mast to counter the disturbed airflow of a round straw to minimize the drag while keeping you in the aero position. X flow cap-even this was created to be as aero as possible, and keeping your fluid where it belongs in your bottle.

Putting your round bottle in your aerobars is much better than putting it on your frame, however you have to come out of the aero position to drink. You will probably not drink as much as with having the fluid readily available to you like our system or even a Camelbak etc.

Our next wind tunnel test we will test the AERO 30, 20 vs. a standard round bottle secured to the aerobars. This test will be done with a rider. Any volunteers? Our other tests to date have not been done with a rider.

The results we will post from the wind tunnel are shown with the following criteria.
1.bicycle only
2.bicycle with one of the current aerobar mounted hydration systems. A very popular one that has been on the market for years.
3.bicycle with TorHans AERO 30
4.bicycle with TorHans AERO 20
5.bicycle with frame mounted aero bottle
6.bicycle with TorHans frame mounted aero bottle
7.bicycle with standard round bottle.

Thanks again for the feedback. More to come.
-Ted

Hans Bielat
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
AERO STRAW!!!

Yeah, but do they have a Kamm Tail version to use on a SC? :)
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [MoJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
AERO STRAW!!!

Yeah, but do they have a Kamm Tail version to use on a SC? :)

Just get yer scissors out

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next