Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8
Quote | Reply

Trek has a generous discount for coaches of NICA teams so my new ride this fall (or whenever it comes in) will be a Trek Top Fuel. I'm vacillating between the 9.7 (carbon frame, NX drivetrain, aluminum wheels, 27.89lbs) and the 9.8 (carbon everything, GX drivetrain, 4 piston brakes, 25.88lbs).

My riding consists of 2-3 3hr races in the spring, trying to keep up with fast kids in the fall, and some long gravel climbs. I'm 190lbs with hopes of getting to 180 by next summer. (I'm down from a recent high of 215 so this seems possible). I'm mid pack in the 3hr races.

Either bike will be a step up from my current 32lbs ride (lighter, remote lockout). With the discount I'll never be able to upgrade the 9.7 for close to the same price as getting the 9.8. But the difference after discount between the two is the cost of a decent used CX bike, single speed toy, trips to the bike park or the like.

In terms of performance, enjoyment, etc. is the 9.8 worth an extra $1200 over the 9.7?

Thanks for the opinions and feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In two years are you going to be glad you saved $1200 or spent it?

For me it would be the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal experience and philosophy about spending incrementally on premium products is if you can afford it in the short-term, it is worth it over the long term. So, the sole question is can you afford the difference now?

tl;dr: Ditto the above poster.

If you are buying something that you will use and enjoy over a number of years, then the incremental cost often amortizes to a very small number relative to the ongoing enjoyment. But, this analysis only works when you can afford the incremental cost and if there is nothing else better you might use that money for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO worth it alone for the upgrade to carbon wheels and I do like GX better than NX, be advised the hub driver is different between these two groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting the carbon bling and 2lbs saving to one side, what I'd be more looking at are the difference in
- fork
- shock
- hubs.

I'd be more swayed by having a better fork and shock that suits your size and riding style / is adjustable, over carbon and shinier shifters.

Because a change in fork if it's not good enough will gobble up $1200 in an instant.

And good hubs so you're not buying new wheels in a year's time.

The 4 pot brakes can help when you're bigger ... but having said that many 2 pots are pretty powerful these days (I'm running the 2 pot XT brakes and they haul my overly-lardy carcass and a 30lbs trail bike to a stop without problem inc would have no concerns with them in the Alps (with 180mm discs). We sound like similar builds / weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, y'all sold me. It's not like I needed much of a nudge but 9.8 it will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upgrade. The suspension is definitely a step down on the 9.7. The wheels are awfully narrow on the 9.7 too. I can't tell any real difference in use between NX and GX on my two mtbs (and almost never use the smallest cog so 10 vs 11 is moot). I'm not sure a 32 mm fork was the right spec for that bike, but there's a reason nobody is paying me to spec bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, enjoy! Hope it comes in sooner rather than later!
I can’t imagine you being sorry for upgrading especially if you can get a deal.

It’s cool NICA gets you the bro deal and good on ya for helping out, I out of the blue happened to spectate one of their races recently, I was blown away by the scene and had fun watching the high school kids warming up on the trail (even while masked up!). It’s a part of the cycling scene I wasn’t really aware of and it was cool to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our league is on all time trial this year due to C19. It's better than a kick in the pants but I sure miss watching them sprint out of the start in a bunch. The power and skill of the varsity kids is humbling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't give much weight to the two pound difference between the bikes (sorry, couldn't help myself). The question is how much would it cost to add the upgrades later, and would you really miss them?

Personally, when I've had to choose whether to get an upgraded model and chosen the less expensive one, I usually end up regretting it. My thought process now is to get the one I really want so I never second guess myself.

Let me give you one more option to consider. Buy the less expensive bike and upgrade the gear shifter to an X01 or XX1 AXS shifter (wireless shifting). Very easy to install because no cables, and wireless shifting on a MTB is pretty sweet. I have an 22 lb XC bike that I upgraded from X01 mechanical to XX1 AXS, and it's a nice upgrade. Shifts are crisp and fast, and it works especially well when you have to downshift going up an incline, under power.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hesitant to spend much on a rear mech. My youngster has trashed a lot of derailleurs this year. I look like Usher at the club slinging hundos when I'm at the bike shop. But it is something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I'm hesitant to spend much on a rear mech. My youngster has trashed a lot of derailleurs this year. I look like Usher at the club slinging hundos when I'm at the bike shop. But it is something to consider.

Yeah - the one thing I've always DOWNGRADED after a crash or when it's worn out is the rear mech.
As I've trashed a few in my time (despite break-away hangers) and I can never stomach buying an XTR mech when an XT is half the price (and SLX less still) and I'm not good enough to tell the difference when rattling along a rocky trail. But I've not had electronic shifting or wireless so not faced that compatibility problem of going lower down the range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother just bought a 9.8- If you can swing it, it is worth the upgrade for the carbon wheels and carbon bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With "Top Fuel" in the title, and "9.7 or 9.8" as well, I thought this thread would be about doped sprinters setting a new 100m time

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point - less chance of crashing on an XC bike like mine. But setting cost aside, electronic shifting is pretty nice. It isn't as much of a game changer as it is on a tribike though, where it adds the ability to shift from the base bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go 9.8. I just went through the search for a new bike and the Top Fuel was on my short list. I had the same debate between the 9.7 and 9.8. I ended up on a Specialized Epic Evo so I can't give you much specific feedback but I can say the SID fork and shock are pretty sweet and definitely an upgrade over over the 9.7. As someone also coming from a 31+ lb bike I can say that going to a 25ish lb bike is a gamechanger. The carbon wheels spin up so quickly and the bike just accelerates and carries speed so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on single track you spend so much time braking for a corner and then accelerating out that the carbon wheels seem relevant.

Thanks for the feedback about the SID.

I hope you are all this helpful when I have to choose between the red or the black one ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black obviously ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Black obviously ;)
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duh, red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason you’re only looking at the Top Fuel? Have you out thoughts into the Supercaliber?

The new Top Fuel geometry and travel lends it more to a trail bike, though capable of XC racing.

I have a blinged out Supercal and it is awesome (clearly my perspective)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fuel EX 9.8 and went with the XT drivetrain over the GX. I prefer the shimano shifting and the cassettes are much cheaper than Sram.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [PVD04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PVD04 wrote:
I have a Fuel EX 9.8 and went with the XT drivetrain over the GX. I prefer the shimano shifting and the cassettes are much cheaper than Sram.

I *much* prefer Shimano mechanical shifters over SRAM. That was a very nice side benefit of the SRAM AXS wireless shifter - you can operate the shifting by pushing the switch in both directions, just like with Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the 9.7 for my daughter, its a great bike and she has been racing it for the last year. The wheels are absolute garbage though, its as if Trek was adding a boat anchor to otherwise great bike. If you just upgrade to a pair of stans wheels and good tires you save 2 lbs for $700. I think Trek is commonizing on a nice frame platform but they use garbage wheels that are abnormally heavy to penalize lower price points. The same was true of 2 other Treks I have bought. Nice bikes with crap stock wheels.
Last edited by: endosch2: Oct 8, 20 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Top Fuel 9.7 or 9.8 [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SuperCal looks awesome. But I've fully drank the KoolAid on a dropper post. And my descending wouldn't be described as surgical so the extra travel in the fork is attractive. I like to jump when the opportunity presents itself but I'm not pushing it on the enduro lines. So an XC bike that is trail-ish seems about right.
Quote Reply

Prev Next