Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018
Quote | Reply
Indeed, and it was a Half, but he crushed that Half in sub 4:30. He now trains monster hours and has his eyes and heart set on Kona. Meet Matt Kerr

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...onster_Win_8322.html
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive. I think he may be downplaying the "swimming and running were familiar to me" aspect. Good base from the Surf Life Saving background!
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I long for a horrible swim that is 52 min in an IM! I wonder what pace he was running in that final 10k to take out nearly 4 minutes from the AG race leader. Impressive engine.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love those 52 minutes for a standalone 2.4 mile swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loved this! First Tri in 2018 to AG World Champ in <4 years. Obviously a huge help to have a swimming/running background. Feel like your biking can improve a ton with hard work but swimming from a young age gives you a real leg up on adults who start doing triathlon without a swimming background.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I long for a horrible swim that is 52 min in an IM! I wonder what pace he was running in that final 10k to take out nearly 4 minutes from the AG race leader. Impressive engine.

Seriously, I would take that swim AND that run! When I got to the final 10K, I was just trying to keep forward motion...guess I need to find an extra 15 hours a week to train!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Using his split time at 20.4 miles and his finish time that calculates to 7:02 for the last 5.8 miles. 2nd place ran the same distance at a 7:36 pace. Looking at a friends Strava, there is considerable elevation change in those 5.8 miles.

According to the splits he was 2:55 back of 1st at the 20.4 mile mark, 2:34 back at the 21.2mi/34km with 8k to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case this comes across as jealousy… it is.

Something doesn’t add up. Who has the money to take months off per year for international trips? A lifeguard? Hmmm.

Great athlete. And I enjoyed the interview. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would much rather be the hunter than the hunted
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree. there's nothing about his work. he came 3 weeks early and now is hanging out for another 2 weeks. there's nothing wrong with being independently wealthy (if that's what he is) but he obviously trains full-time (there's nothing wrong with that either but at least be upfront about it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just like that, for the second time in a row, the AG world champion is an LCHF athlete. Meanwhile, I would assume that maybe 5% of the field follow this diet. Need some popcorns.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
i agree. there's nothing about his work. he came 3 weeks early and now is hanging out for another 2 weeks. there's nothing wrong with being independently wealthy (if that's what he is) but he obviously trains full-time (there's nothing wrong with that either but at least be upfront about it).

I thought the same thing. Based on the article, he has a really fun life. I figured he was early 20's and living off Dad. Turns out he's 3X.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ked2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a HCHFHSHS athlete

ked2k wrote:
And just like that, for the second time in a row, the AG world champion is an LCHF athlete. Meanwhile, I would assume that maybe 5% of the field follow this diet. Need some popcorns.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought the same thing. Based on the article, he has a really fun life.

Caveat emptor and all that...but yeah I'm jealous, too!

Training 25-30 hours per week of training out of reach for folks working full time. It seems like an ideal setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Quote:
I thought the same thing. Based on the article, he has a really fun life.

Caveat emptor and all that...but yeah I'm jealous, too!

Training 25-30 hours per week of training out of reach for folks working full time. It seems like an ideal setup.

Screw the training..

I was referring to living in New Zealand, winter in Australia, 5 weeks in Utah, probably 5 weeks in Hawaii.....(although I've only been to Hawaii - I've heard the others are very nice)

No mention of job, wife, kids.....
Last edited by: B.McMaster: May 19, 22 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Indeed, and it was a Half, but he crushed that Half in sub 4:30. He now trains monster hours and has his eyes and heart set on Kona. Meet Matt Kerr

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...onster_Win_8322.html

What does this dude do for a living. He is not pro but who is sponsoring him so he can have all this discretionary time. Seems like "age-grouper" is a loosely used term when referring to this guy. Somebody is funding his lifestyle or is he a crypto millionaire? LOL. You sort of missed an important piece of context in this story Herbert.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a pro card you are an age grouper. And if you have a pro card but don’t earn a living you simply have a pro card but aren’t a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Unless you have a pro card you are an age grouper. And if you have a pro card but don’t earn a living you simply have a pro card but aren’t a pro.

This story is only interesting if this is a working stiff like the rest of us who somehow has been able to make it to the tippy top of the Age Group field. If he is a pro in every aspect except having his pro-card then this is the story of a wannabe pro that has a long way to go to be competitive with the big boys. What's the big deal, is his job a secret? Is he independently wealthy? Is his wife (partner) a working professional and sustains him? This is really not all that compelling if this guy doesn't really work for a living.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

I was referring to living in New Zealand, winter in Australia,

It's weird when you go to Oz during winter - they're all wearing hoodies and jeans because it's "cold" but it feels tropical for a Kiwi so you get funny looks for wearing Jandals (flipflops)

Tairua is a nice spot
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Herbert wrote:

This story is only interesting if this is a working stiff like the rest of us who somehow has been able to make it to the tippy top of the Age Group field. If he is a pro in every aspect except having his pro-card then this is the story of a wannabe pro that has a long way to go to be competitive with the big boys. What's the big deal, is his job a secret? Is he independently wealthy? Is his wife (partner) a working professional and sustains him? This is really not all that compelling if this guy doesn't really work for a living.

It don't necessarily mean his job is a secret, the story is just about him doing Triathlon. It seems like everyone is trying to say it's not that impressive because he seems to be wealthy and have unlimited time to train. How many people can become age group world champion only 4 years after their first Triathlon, that's very impressive. Even if he was working full time, I'm sure he would of still been in the mix. Being able to train full time doesn't suddenly take you from middle of the pack to front of pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Herbert wrote:

It don't necessarily mean his job is a secret, the story is just about him doing Triathlon. It seems like everyone is trying to say it's not that impressive because he seems to be wealthy and have unlimited time to train. How many people can become age group world champion only 4 years after their first Triathlon, that's very impressive. Even if he was working full time, I'm sure he would of still been in the mix. Being able to train full time doesn't suddenly take you from middle of the pack to front of pack.

I agree the guy is an athletic specimen but what makes stories like Skye Moench's and Kat Matthews' (both who followed a similar pattern as this guy to the pro ranks) so compelling is that they truly had to make that shift from regular AG'er to pro. Herbert totally leaves that aspect of this guy's development out of the story. Glaring miss.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

I’m certainly impressed so I hope you didn’t get that vibe from me. 4 years in and he is already better than 99% of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry I did disappoint you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He works, has capacity to work remotely. Outside the greatest country in the world many employers permit flexible working, have entitlements to at least 4 weeks of paid leave and more. He is not married and does not have children however that does not diminish his achievement. People here need to stop making excuses for themselves and just acknowledge the great achievement that this is.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Matt is a great person and this is well deserved. Some people just like to whine to make themselves feel better. Great job Matt. See you in Kona!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next