Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday?
Quote | Reply
Was eating some popcorn and had a kernel hit a spot just right/wrong on a rear molar a couple of weeks ago. Had some pain afterwards and scheduled an appointment with my dentist... results are I cracked the molar in half and there is no saving it due to the direction of the crack. My only recourse per my dentist is removal/extraction.

So they put me on an antibiotic and scheduled me for an extraction this Wednesday... I have an Olympic distance race on Saturday morning. I told the dentist I had an event on Saturday and wondered how it might affect me since I've never had a tooth extrated... he said the procedure was pretty routine and that there might be a little pain but shouldn't be a problem.

Any advice/feedback from the ST think tank?
Quote Reply
Re: Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While everyone is different, I had a wisdom tooth pulled and was training as usual 2 days later.

It probably depends on if there is an infection and how much they have to dig for broken roots (if any)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done an event two days after getting my wisdom teeth taken out, was not the best feeling but worked out. If they feel you're good just go and do it and enjoy the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wasn’t in pain I’d just wait and have it removed next week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think you would be fine unless you decide or need to take narcotic pain killers for a day or so post surgery. That will effect your performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't want a big 'ole open wound in my mount and then jump in for an open water swim. My 2c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dental pain will be a welcome distraction from the race pain. Go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday? [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cujo wrote:
I wouldn't want a big 'ole open wound in my mount and then jump in for an open water swim. My 2c.

This. I had 3 extracted at once (all with serious cracks) and you need to keep it clean. I had swelling and some pain for a few days, but mostly just feeling crappy. I'd reschedule for the following week.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dentist here,

Seems like you suffered a vertical root fracture if the diagnosis of the tooth is nonrestorable and the Tx prescribed is an extraction. If the ext appt is on Wed and your race is on Saturday I'm fairly confident you should be fine to race on race day given that you follow the post operative instructions and don't deviate in any way which could either interrupt healing or cause a dry socket (not fun).

1) soft foods for the first 3 days is generally recommended. I like to tell my patients to drink smoothies by spoon (straws are prohibited during the first few days)
2) no drinking through straws as stated above. Using a straw can dislodge the clot that is forming over the socket and prevent healing
3) no spitting. If you have to spit, drool out the corner of your mouth.
4) no smoking as this can directly cause dry socket.

Again, this is my recommendation based on a highly motivated triathlete patient that's committed to racing. My professional advice is definitely give yourself a 1 week buffer.

Other than that. Goodluck!
Last edited by: miken7: Jul 8, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday? [miken7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont trust that quack for a second - unless his FTP is over 350
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a molar pulled on a Thursday, and ran a full Marathon 3 days later, on a Sunday. No problems.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My ftp is 950. Guess that makes my recommendation legitimate? 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Tooth extraction Wednesday... race Saturday? [miken7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miken7 wrote:
My ftp is 950. Guess that makes my recommendation legitimate? 😂
Appreciate the feedback from all and especially a dentist that understands what it is I'm doing this weekend.

I'm keeping the appointment and have my fingers crossed. We will see!
Quote Reply