Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options
Quote | Reply
I’ve got my 70.3 Nutrition worked out pretty well I think. Between drinks, gels and bars

BUT should I try to find a bar with less fat and protein or is my body able to utilize those during a race?

I’d rather not use just drinks and gels for calories on the bike

Thinking I need a certain amount of carbs and maybe I’m putting more stress in my digestion thank I need to with the added calories from fat and protein which won’t help until after the race
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerBars are going to be much more carb-centric than Clif.

Another option is chews; then there are things like waffles from GU and Stinger.

From a nutritional standpoint, some protein can be helpful in longer races (4:1 carb:protein is a common mix), but fat isn't needed (even the leanest athletes have enough body fat for several ironmans).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Clif Bloks. I like them because I can meter out the calories more evenly vs. a huge gut bomb each time I take a gel. For my last 70.3 I got through it with just Gatorade Endurance and Clif Bloks and that worked much better for me than gels or bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy Benton's Fig Bars from ALDI. They're generic brand Fig Newton's. I put them in a sandwich bag in my jersey. An entire package is $0.99. Each fig bar is 50 calories.

MrTri123 wrote:
I’ve got my 70.3 Nutrition worked out pretty well I think. Between drinks, gels and bars

BUT should I try to find a bar with less fat and protein or is my body able to utilize those during a race?

Thinking I need a certain amount of carbs and maybe I’m putting more stress in my digestion thank I need to with the added calories from fat and protein which won’t help until after the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
BUT should I try to find a bar with less fat and protein
What, like a banana?
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Another option is chews; then there are things like waffles from GU and Stinger.

From a nutritional standpoint, some protein can be helpful in longer races (4:1 carb:protein is a common mix), but fat isn't needed (even the leanest athletes have enough body fat for several ironmans).

Thank you

Wow how did I not think of them.

I used to lay them untapped on the top tube back in the ‘80s. Been out of the game for a while. Getting back in now
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Try Clif Bloks. I like them because I can meter out the calories more evenly vs. a huge gut bomb each time I take a gel. For my last 70.3 I got through it with just Gatorade Endurance and Clif Bloks and that worked much better for me than gels or bars.

Much appreciated. I have tried them. Not sure why I found them difficult to eat on the bike.

I’ll give them another chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong power bars?

10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thank you

Wow how did I not think of them.

I used to lay them untapped on the top tube back in the ‘80s. Been out of the game for a while. Getting back in now

They changed the formula, and they are more bar-like and less like putty than the ones from the past (personally I liked the more moldable version), so buy some singles to try first. On the plus side they don't turn into a rock in cold weather.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
What, like a banana?

Would you recommend them for HIM race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong power bars?

10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat.

It varies a bit depending on the flavor (ex. more fat in the peanut butter flavor), but looking at Chocolate:

Total calories 220
Fat calories 027 (12%)
Protein calories 036 (16%)
Carb calories 157 (71%)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

What, like a banana?

Would you recommend them for HIM race?
I dunno, I don't do triathlon. But they seem to vaguely meet your criteria (their form factor is a bit like an organic bar, and they have a high carb-to-fat and carb-to-protein ratio), and they're sometimes spotted in the back pockets of professional road cyclists. I've eaten them on long days before with no trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I buy Benton's Fig Bars from ALDI. They're generic brand Fig Newton's. I put them in a sandwich bag in my jersey. An entire package is $0.99. Each fig bar is 50 calories.

MrTri123 wrote:

Slight variation, i use the nature's bakery fruit bars. Basically organic fig newtons with blueberry and raspberry options too. 200 calories per package, or 100 per bar. In a normal 70.3 id probably go all liquid but will be trying 2 of my normal bottles plus the fruit bar for savageman.

I always have a clif bar and a banana for breakfast on race day, with race nerves nothing else clears my gut by start time.
Quote Reply
Re: Too much fat and protein in Cliff bar? Better options [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Training they are fine, but for racing, yes, less protein and fat.

Thank you

May I ask what you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Training they are fine, but for racing, yes, less protein and fat.

Thank you

May I ask what you use?

Not answering for Thomas specifically, but since you’ve been away from the sport a lot of people have gone to straight liquid nutrition.

Many brands out there, but to save you can go bulk maltodextrin or 2/3 malto 1/3 dextrose mix.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gels. I'll grab a Gatorade bottle on course and Coke at the aid stations. I carry two bottles in a 70.3 and usually add a scoop of aminos to each one of my bike bottles but 3.5 gels in each with water so about 400 calories and some salt based on what I think I need for the particular day

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lara bars are great.

But, I don’t seem to eat much on a 70.3 - I just have gels and then on the run - Red Bull coke bananas and oranges

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply