Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k
Quote | Reply
Wow! This kid is an absolute stud. World cyclecross champion, Team Ineos rider and this time for the run. If he can swim he will be an Ironman world champ if he wants it.

Sebi even commented on what this kid cant do.

I wonder even how much running hes been doing!
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are late to the party i think he mentions there was "gps error" on that day.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to look into that because that is a truly exceptional claim. Looks like there is a lot of uncertainty around the accuracy of the files. I don't think anyone's claiming he intentionally manipulated them, but was more likely the victim of some bad gps data.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still impressive guess you cant beleive everything on Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GPS was off. I’m sure he can run fast, but not fast enough to run 5 second slower than the British road 5K record.

Fwiw a poster over at letsrun used strava route builder to map his route and found the total run should have been 4.3 miles and not 5.8 miles. He did some math and found that the 13:25 section pidcock though was a 5K was just 2.29 miles. So 5:48 pace

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes according to strava his "5k pr" i believe was 17:38 before this "pr".

(all according to strava mind you)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 9, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granted GPS can be off, my athletes we run on a soft surface tree lined trial. It has both 1/4mi markers and their gps. The GPS is *always* off, by 0.08mi etc, even if you added up a 10mi run that's not even say 1mi off. So what causes one to have an gps file *that* off? Can gps be off by that much? It did look like a few loops so maybe that's the cause but for a what 40 min run that's a lot of satellite inteference.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 9, 21 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in grad school there was this one section of campus where my gps would get wacky (I’m pace would instantly change from 7 min/mi to 4 min/mi for a minute or two). Not sure if there was some building that has a magnet or some other weird thing that was interrupting the signal. Then about a year ago I was on a run on the Vegas strip per Strava got a new 400 meter PR of 44 seconds (I wish!) on a run that I had a consistent 7:15 pace.

But to had a file that off is weird. No clue what the buildings are like on that route, perhaps they they really block the gps signal in someway

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gps doping, shoe doping, rain jacket, basketball shorts, visor, and 7s off the european record? Lol...

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=10423543
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 9, 21 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just look at the supposed route on strava https://www.strava.com/activities/4748319774 jumping about all over the place
the only mystery here is how anyone believed for a second this was anything but GPS error. i would guess Pidcock himself probably immediately realised this and just posted it for a laugh which he will certainly have got with all the internet debate raging over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the problem with all you new age gadget geeks, you cannot see the forest for the trees. In my day if you were just a skoch under 18 for a 5k PR, we could all figure out in about one second that a 13+ minute one was 100% impossible. I will go out on a limb and say that a 14+/15+ and 16 or under would all be quite suspect and approaching atet 100% certainty of never having happened.

But somehow this day and age your brains have lost all nimbleness, and an errant number has most of your wondering if it happened, could it have happened, and lets wait and see more data before making any conclusions...Jeeeezzz...
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
This is the problem with all you new age gadget geeks, you cannot see the forest for the trees. In my day if you were just a skoch under 18 for a 5k PR, we could all figure out in about one second that a 13+ minute one was 100% impossible. I will go out on a limb and say that a 14+/15+ and 16 or under would all be quite suspect and approaching atet 100% certainty of never having happened.

But somehow this day and age your brains have lost all nimbleness, and an errant number has most of your wondering if it happened, could it have happened, and lets wait and see more data before making any conclusions...Jeeeezzz...

I think you're off on this one Monty - what strava reports as his 5k pr is very likely NOT a his 5k pr and users of technology on this forum I do not think have universally lost their common sense or view of the big picture. Since GPS almost always calculates turns short (since there is a time interval between measurements, it calculates that you cut every turn by a little bit) whenever I race a 5k, my garmin measures it as like 4.97k, and then strava does not count it as a 5k, so it does not get reported as my pr. Therefore my "PR" according to Strava is usually part of a 10k I ran (or if I haven't done a road race it'll be like a 70.3 run!), etc. People here are pretty sharp usually...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 9, 21 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most experienced runners have a pretty good sense of pace. Back when I was running track, I could tell you the speed of my last lap +/-1s. Even out on the road these days +/-15s/mi on the road is a gimme. The macro point being, you can't run 5:48 pace and reasonably think you are running 4:25....it's like biking up a 5% climb and thinking it's 20%.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I misunderstood... I didn't think he claimed that time and bragged about it. I thought people just saw the strava notification and started talking about it online.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Pidcock runs 13:25 5k [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His social media mentioned it either in a troll/joke manner. He also has a ~20s video that shows his run and his run gait turnover is no where close to even sub 17 effort. It’s pretty easy to look at a runner and know if they are *that* quick.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget the 5k time.

How is no-one acknowledging what an awesome name "Pidcock" is?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply