Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom - Prices/Reviews on Merida bikes?
Quote | Reply
Well, as it was my birthday 3 weeks ago, and I've reached the point where I need a new bike (after using my good ol' Bianchi for a couple of years), I decided to look for a good bike that is equipped with Ultegra.

My price range is around 1000-1700. I'm not looking for a triathlon bike because most of my races/practices involve drafting. In the beginning I was actually leaning more toward a pair of Zipp wheels, but I decided that a good bike will help me more than a nice pair of wheels.

Soo I've done some checking around, and almost all of the companies have Ultegra bikes, but most of them are either too pricey for me or Ultegra/105 mix (which is not what I'm looking for).

So my question is this, is the Merida Magnesium 907 bike any good? Is it light, good handling, and most importantly - Price.

If anyone has any suggestions for good bikse in that range (1000-1700) let me know.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom - Prices/Reviews on Merida bikes? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am obliged to say the best bike for you is the one that fits (and it is...). Having quoted my mantra, my anthem, my credo, my doctrine (praise be upon it...) I will continue by saying I know of Merida bikes and have probably sold and owned them under a different name badge (Trek, Bianchi, Diamond Back, GT, etc., etc.) but I don't know anything about them in their current manifestation. I am interested to learn. Four top contenders in the sub- $1700 category are: Cervelo, Felt, QR and Cannondale. At least, those are the ones I like. They have different fit tendencies so one will work out better than the others. More important than shopping for a bike, what good bike shops are around you with triathlon expereince? Did you check Dan's dealer list on Slowtwitch?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom - Prices/Reviews on Merida bikes? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find a specific price for any of the bikes (except Cervelo, and they don't seem to have anything Ultegra-and around 1700).

How come there aren't any prices for bikes online, and is it possible to get - let's say a QR Tequilo, and upgrade the f.derailleur/front cassette to Ultegra? (And get a road handlebar instead of bullhorns)
Quote Reply