Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To you older AG's, I get it now...
Quote | Reply
Did Vineman yesterday. I like how they have it setup to where all the AG waves are scrambled every year to make it a little more fair to everyone, especially when it's hot later in the day.

That unfortunately put my usual first to third wave start (25 male) almost two hours after the first wave of the morning. Definitely a new experience for me. Holy hell they're some down sides to starting so much later...

As a person who is rarely see's the course when it is at it's highest capacity I learn some things yesterday. Here's a few things to rant about...mostly about less experiences AG'rs....

1) If you are a less experiences swimmer learn how to swim in a straight line. I know it's not an easy thing to master, but it's not that hard to learn that a straight line is a shorter swimming distance than making a continuous "Z" pattern. Which leads me to #2...

2) If you know you are a slower swimmer...please stay to the right of the swim course. It's better for everyone. Leads me to #3....

3) If you are swimming at a decent tempo DO NOT IMMEDIATELY GO TO BREAST STROKE! All of a sudden I'm drafting off of someone at a good clip and then my face goes into your ass.....C'mon people let's go!

Onto the bike....

4) When in doubt stay on the right side of the road! If I had a quarter for every time I had more room to pass on the right than on the left of someone I could've paid for my sure to be medical fees for crashing from one of these loons.

5) Know how to bike BEFORE the race. There was this one girl in front of me who not took a terrible left turn (took up the whole road and braking way more than needed). Not only did she take up the whole lane when doing this, but she made a bad shift and dropped her chain. She then just stopped on the road! Right in the middle! This was a part of the road where the left lane was full of cars that were stopped waiting to pass when there was lack of riders. So I had to pass on the right of her (while almost riding into the dirt embankment) while another passed on the left. And #6, which is related....

6) If you can't climb....just walk your bike up. I know Chalk Hill is a grinder, especially that far into the race, but that doesn't give you the right to do zig zags all over the right lane cause you don't have the bike strength or totally chose the wrong gear choices for the race. It's annoying and dangerous....just walk and stay out of our way. It's less embarrassing than looking like a fool all over the road.

7) If you have to make a pit stop at one of the bike aid stations to go to the restroom please take your bike off the road. This is a part of the course where us people who choose not to stop need to get close to the volunteers on the right side of the road to get hydration/nutrition.

Now onto the run. Boy the roads get crowded at this point of the race.

8) Don't try to act like your saving yourself for the last 1/2 of the race. If I'm passing you just accept it. It gets old passing people who try to stay with you because they don't like getting passed. Then you see them at an out and back walking cause they obviously overcooked themselves.

9) If you're going to be taking every water, ice, gatorade cup at an aid station...just goto the table instead of taking every volunteers cup. Some of us actually know what we want at a station and will be on out own way. These poor volunteers spinning around and around trying to make sure they help everyone who needs it doesn't need you just taking stuff and dropping it cause you can't say "Water".

And #10...I Didn't plan for this to be a 'Top 10' List, but I'll leave it here.

10) After the race keep the food line going! Some of us are hungry!

To all you AGr's who every race have deal with all this bs, you now have my sympathy.
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [MikayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

We need to make this post sticky....and I honestly mean that as a compliment. Thank you for your race report.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post. Yes, I have been in the last mens wave for a number of years. And boy it is a pain having to swim through the slower swimmer, etc. And when you add the extra issue of the heat being later, well,
welcome to our world.

Only thing worst is for the women, who are even behind me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jul 16, 12 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. if you see a beginner be polite to them.
2. I f you see someone going slow don't judge, even the best bonk
3. Smell the roses
4. enjoy your race you never know if it's your last
5. Don't be full of yourself
6. race hard and legal
7. thank everyone working
8. meet people
9. know the rules
10. If you are a good age grouper don't call people pussies on the forum. You are only average and given time you will mature
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the last ag 40-44 and I did a lot of passing on the right on the bike. It was a mess the first third dodging the slower folks as well as the potholes. On one of the hard left turns I had a guy ahead of me who was unsure of the turn brake into my path.

The swim was surprisingly pedestrian free...a few slower groupers but not too bad.

I talked to a lot of people who said this was their first or second tri ever. No wonder we had some of the nutty shit out there on the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is truth! Def needs to be a sticky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst part when you start in one of the last waves is watching folks driving out of the parking lot headed home while you are still on the run. They should hold traffic until the last finisher is in!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like how they have it setup to where all the AG waves are scrambled every year to make it a little more fair to everyone, especially when it's hot later in the day.

I have a better idea. Slow people go last.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikayP wrote:

3) If you are swimming at a decent tempo DO NOT IMMEDIATELY GO TO BREAST STROKE! All of a sudden I'm drafting off of someone at a good clip and then my face goes into your ass.....C'mon people let's go!

I've been on the receiving end of a "face full of ass" a few times with experiences ranging from mentally scarring to mildly enjoyable..... The part you have to watch out for is the breast stroke kick, raining pain upon your face like Thor's mighty hammer.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once finished IMLP with a "scrape"...man it got salty and stingy once I was done....found a finger nail in it.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I have a better idea. Slow people go last.

You're a funny guy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you are swimming at a decent tempo DO NOT IMMEDIATELY GO TO BREAST STROKE! All of a sudden I'm drafting off of someone at a good clip and then my face goes into your ass....."

Can you tell us more about this part?

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) The people who would actually benefit from this message wont read this
B) Sorry the other 2,299 competitors arent doing more to make YOUR day more special
C) Get over it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your post.

One year during the swim of IM Augusta, the 25-29 males started two waves behind the 35-39 females. Nothing like having a younger man swim over me. Seriously, I could tell that the chilly water did not bother him much....

If you are going to participate in triathlon, please learn USAT regs and a little course courtesy. Tri responsibly!!!

-TMT
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
3. Smell the roses
6. race hard and legal
8. meet people
9. know the rules
10. If you are a good age grouper don't call people pussies on the forum. You are only average and given time you will mature

This is far more insightful than the OPs self righteous rant against all those who are perceived inferior to him. Honestly, if you are that great - get your elite card, I'm sure you won't encounter many of these problems in that group of athletes.
Last edited by: chasec: Jul 16, 12 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [nugent44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I will probably regret this, but.....

I agree, most people who need to read this post will never see it. But that does not mean that we cannot share this information with those who don't read ST. Surely we don't all train alone or with athletes who are seasoned. One thing that set triathlon apart from other sports for me was the support and sharing of information from those who were more experienced.

Furthermore, it is not about affording fellow athletes a more pleasurable race experience. It is about the safety on the course.

-TMT
Last edited by: trimomtri: Jul 16, 12 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [trimomtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo. I sincerely applaud your non-offensive rebuttal! Unusual around these parts.

True, it would help all of us pass this wisdom along to the less experienced athletes. Maybe something to add to the athlete's guide / pre-race meetings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a putz!

Ok so you're younger and faster and you have absolutely no idea how hard it is for an older AG. Boo Hoo. You haven't bothered to find out how fast performance drops off with age,(but you will kiddo) but you're pissed because they got in your way. Since when did they start the Pros and/or Elites in the last wave. You're an also ran like the rest of us, get over yourself.

I have been starting in what seems to be the last wave for a long time. Yes I swim through a couple of waves that start ahead of me, yet somehow I manage to do it without getting pissed off. Have never had a face full of foot from a breatstroker, imagine that. And you must be going mighty fast to end up, up someones arse. Admit it you just short sighted, have a arse fetish and are too cheap to pay for it. Obviously you don't get enough.

On the bike, so you're the arsehole from last year's IMC, passing on the right. Some girl can't make the corner like a F! racer, duh! That's why you have two eyes, it's for depth perception, as well as the brain to use it. Use it. Passing on the right, is never right, never acceptable and makes you an arse of the first water. Oh and BTW you're DQ'd, how about you report yourself. I guess personal honour doesn't come into your equation.

As for the run, well aren't you special, all those slow people getting in your way again. How come with your magnificent swim and bike you haven't passed them all. So old, slow people need to drink and take a break along the way, some of them are having a ball by the way, obviously not you.

As for the food line, older people have eaten in places other than Mickey D's, the reason the line is slow is because we're looking for something edible.

What a winner you are. Did you get a medal, have you framed it. How cute. Your mommy must be proud.

Hoser
Last edited by: phog: Jul 16, 12 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [nugent44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nugent44 wrote:
Bravo. I sincerely applaud your non-offensive rebuttal! Unusual around these parts.

True, it would help all of us pass this wisdom along to the less experienced athletes. Maybe something to add to the athlete's guide / pre-race meetings

Thanks for the positive response. I think your idea of having a crash ( no pun intended) course on course etiquette is a great one.

-TMT
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3. Smell the roses
6. race hard and legal
8. meet people
9. know the rules

Very nice. Good words to race by.
Last edited by: Endoone: Jul 16, 12 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo, sir!
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I think he is serious.

North Shore Sprint Triathlon in Vancouver, BC does it's pool wave starts based on this premise.

The lineup to get in the water is based on your estimated swim speed with fastest to slowest.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a master's woman who usually had to start last (or later), thank you. People bitch about later wave people complaining, but they have no clue.

You need a #11 - how did you finish? Half VM is one of my all time favorite races.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done races like this too.

People overestimate[\strike] lie. Slow people lie worse than fast people.

Quote Reply
Re: To you older AG's, I get it now... [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy did not even make it into the top ten of the 45-50 AG. Just checked his race result.
Probably swam breast stroke most of the way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next