Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds.
Quote | Reply
I know statins can be combined with BP meds (like amlodipine) but statins themselves don’t treat BP. My doctor brain couldn’t let that slide. Sorry!
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the author of the referenced poll, nor do I have any idea of its objective. Agree, statins are not indicated to lower blood pressure. There are data, however, that suggest the class has a modest effect in reducing sbp and dbp in normotensive as well as hypertensive adults.
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [sneaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless, for those of us that take a drug like Lisinopril (and that's it) there is no right answer in the poll.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But clogged arteries should raise blood pressure so it makes sense, as all cells in body would need same amount of sodium even if unclogged
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
But clogged arteries should raise blood pressure so it makes sense, as all cells in body would need same amount of sodium even if unclogged

That's not at all how it works.
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Please tell me that you're on your phone and can't figure out how to make this pink
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While we are on this topic... what the hell *does* cause high blood pressure? Seems obvious that it's resistance (somewhere) in the blood flow path. When I look it up or ask the doctor all I get is a bunch of "contributors" that don't apply to me. 140/90 is pretty average before exercise, but after exercise it drops to <120/75 for a few hours. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
While we are on this topic... what the hell *does* cause high blood pressure? Seems obvious that it's resistance (somewhere) in the blood flow path. When I look it up or ask the doctor all I get is a bunch of "contributors" that don't apply to me. 140/90 is pretty average before exercise, but after exercise it drops to <120/75 for a few hours. Thanks!

genetics>external factors on your body (diet-esp salt, smoking, inactivity, stress, unknown other medical stuff going on-ie obstructive sleep apnea, adrenal/thyroid disorders, renovascular disease etc...)

I have lots of severely hypertensive patients who are thin/fit/active/don't smoke and picked their parents poorly and have big BP's and big risk without meds

*that said, I'm not sure what the poll is trying to ask or get at...as taking a statin will not affect your BP (unless you are on a combo med w an antihypertensive med in it along with the statin like caduet=amlodipine and atorvastatin)

I do know that HTN and hyperlipidemia are two important risk factors for ischemic CAD and are used in the 10 yr risk calculator.

http://www.cvriskcalculator.com/

For the record, I am neither on statin nor on BP meds and have low/nl BP but do have a moderately elevated LDL (*damn genetics!) and a marginally elevated risk but I am comfortable not being on meds after lengthy discussions with my own doctor.
Last edited by: dtoce: Aug 11, 18 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
unknown other medical stuff going on-ie obstructive sleep apnea, adrenal/thyroid disorders, renovascular disease etc...)

Wouldn't it make sense to treat the cause rather than symptom?

How exactly does higher than 130 BP put a person at risk? How have they determined BP risk factors that are independent of the underlying cause? I guess they'd need to do long term studies showing that a person taking only BP lowering meds (not treating the underlying cause), will have a better x% outcome than those not treated.
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
dtoce wrote:
unknown other medical stuff going on-ie obstructive sleep apnea, adrenal/thyroid disorders, renovascular disease etc...)

Wouldn't it make sense to treat the cause rather than symptom?

How exactly does higher than 130 BP put a person at risk? How have they determined BP risk factors that are independent of the underlying cause? I guess they'd need to do long term studies showing that a person taking only BP lowering meds (not treating the underlying cause), will have a better x% outcome than those not treated.

It is best to treat the underlying cause first, with those secondary causes of hypertension, yes...but primary hypertension is far, far, far more common.

Studies are done all the time trying to find the magic line where risk goes up. And tons have already shown that taking meds lowers risk of stroke-these are called primary prevention studies.

Framingham, Nurse's Health study, Women's Health Study, Interheart...I'm not going to quote decades of literature to you. Discuss it with your own MD, if you have questions...

By example, I will emphasize that there are five modifiable risk factors for CVD (elevated cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and smoking) which accounted for one-half of CVD deaths in United States adults aged 45 to 79 from 2009 to 2010 and it was felt that ~50% were possibly preventable with appropriate lifestyle modifications. But I believe genetics are critically important in whether you are are more or less likely to develop CV issues.

----time to bike!
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

It is best to treat the underlying cause first, with those secondary causes of hypertension, yes...but primary hypertension is far, far, far more common.

It's frustrating to have to tell people that we simply don't know the cause of 95+% of hypertension cases, but that's where we are these days. Can't treat an underlying condition when we have no idea what (if it exists) it is. Like you, I've had young, thin athletic types with hypertension. Sometimes them's just the breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:

this is laymans article but ive seen other sites say the same..

https://www.healthline.com/...atins/hypertension#4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup. you're right. brain fade on my part. i meant to write ace inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, etc. but i had cholesterol on my mind as i just went through some cholesterol testing. this was one of a few polls i took pursuant to an article just published on the site.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Aug 11, 18 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Framingham, Nurse's Health study, Women's Health Study, Interheart...I'm not going to quote decades of literature to you. Discuss it with your own MD, if you have questions...

If you could point me to one study that I could access that you consider to be definitive, that would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Thanks for the layman's article. I'll take my medical degree and experience over that though.

Your understanding of it is very poor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
dtoce wrote:

If you could point me to one study that I could access that you consider to be definitive, that would be helpful.

This report summarizes everything and will allow you to go to the specific sections regarding questions you may have and help you with things to bring up with your doctor.

Current Guidelines:
https://www.acc.org/...d-pressure-in-adults

Data Supplement showing Studies
http://jaccjacc.acc.org/...746528541.1532986808

FAQ's
https://www.cardiosmart.org/...746528541.1532986808

Population Risk-page 136
http://www.onlinejacc.org/...746528541.1532986808

I hope this helps. I'm going to go spend some 'off' time now...
----time for a swim!
Last edited by: dtoce: Aug 12, 18 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what my BP is. Even when I was taking an annual flight physical, I didn't know/pay attention. (As long as I didn't "fail" the physical, I figured it must be OK).

A few years ago I went to the ER after getting hit by a vehicle while on a bike ride. They said something like, "Your BP is sort of low." When I told them how much running and cycling I was doing, they said that explained everything.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: To whoever makes the poll question: statins are cholesterol meds. Not BP meds. [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Thanks for the layman's article. I'll take my medical degree and experience over that though.

Your understanding of it is very poor.

You can be useful in proving your snobbery of a degree by refuting this . At that, how many teachings have been reverted or modernized since your stone tablet of a degree
Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 13, 18 8:43
Quote Reply