Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Must be nice to live in a Utopia where F-450s and RAM 3500s don't try to take you out if you're half a pedal left of the white line

Yes, we have a right to be there, but often it's a right only exercised posthumously

ETA: And we're not talking about Traffic, just regular suburban, slightly more populated than farm country, roads in the Pine Barrens

Sad.

Some of the best roads I have ever been on (well maintained, scenic, good shoulders, mountain climbs to about 12 feet above sea level) are driven by a bunch slack-jawed locals.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Must be nice to live in a Utopia where F-450s and RAM 3500s don't try to take you out if you're half a pedal left of the white line

Yes, we have a right to be there, but often it's a right only exercised posthumously

ETA: And we're not talking about Traffic, just regular suburban, slightly more populated than farm country, roads in the Pine Barrens
Exactly what I'm talking about. First of all, what you describe is traffic. "Traffic" is not only heavily congested traffic. In fact, more crashes occur in light traffic, perhaps because motorists and cyclists are less guarded then.

Why would you be only half a pedal left of the white line? That's the epitome of edge riding. You're practically inviting them to squeeze into the lane with you, and then you wonder why they pass so closely?

As if full lane use is not about safety. It is! All your experience of being mistreated and nearly killed by motorists is from thousands of miles of edge riding. Cyclists who use the full lane by default report much better results. But you insist we might be right until we're dead right. Never mind all the edge cyclists who keep getting hit and killed. Fine. Suit yourself. But please don't criticize those of us who find we are much safer using the full lane.

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Why would you be only half a pedal left of the white line? That's the epitome of edge riding. You're practically inviting them to squeeze into the lane with you, and then you wonder why they pass so closely?

Because I've tried it your way and it's not a smart thing to do ... they just pull around to the MIDDLE of the road and squeeze you off no matter WHERE you are, with much noise and fury

To them, it's not about passing, because they DON'T pass right away ... they match your speed, maybe get a little ahead, then gradually move you over... it's about taking out a cyclist

And if you hit the brakes, and let them get along? They'll just pull off, wait till you go by and play some more

Riding on the side, I have found them to be more tolerant, and some give much more leeway, THAT is my safe place, so don't criticize ME either. OK?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 17, 15 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
Sad.

Some of the best roads I have ever been on (well maintained, scenic, good shoulders, mountain climbs to about 12 feet above sea level) are driven by a bunch slack-jawed locals.

This one is especially nice around Halloween

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart Because I've tried it [i wrote:
your [/i]way and it's not a smart thing to do ... they just pull around to the MIDDLE of the road and squeeze you off no matter WHERE you are, with much noise and fury

To them, it's not about passing, because they DON'T pass right away ... they match your speed, maybe get a little ahead, then gradually move you over... it's about taking out a cyclist

And if you hit the brakes, and let them get along? They'll just pull off, wait till you go by and play some more

Riding on the side, I have found them to be more tolerant, and some give much more leeway, THAT is my safe place, so don't criticize ME either. OK?

I don't get it. That is such a great place to ride and almost every time I go out there the same thing happens.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
Sad.

Know that one well! Gives new meaning to "watch your six".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

Because I've tried it your way and it's not a smart thing to do ... they just pull around to the MIDDLE of the road and squeeze you off no matter WHERE you are, with much noise and fury

You've tried it my way? What kind of mirror do you use?

Almost always when people say (and genuinely believe) they tried it "my way" it turns out they've gone left about as far as the right tire track, and without a mirror. No monitoring rearward. No communication. No releasing. Maybe that's the case with you, or maybe you've actually tried my way: riding out near the left tire track, monitoring rearward with a mirror, acknowledging motorists as they approach, and releasing when it's safe and reasonable.

In any case, where?

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: Nov 17, 15 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
RandMart wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
Sad.

Know that one well! Gives new meaning to "watch your six".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoAg4mx0wU

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say that's almost clear of the Pine Barrens. It's south of Weymouth, right?
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Many cyclists remain unaware of this stuff, including those who are all too often killed while blissfully riding on shoulders and in bike lanes. It's really difficult to read about those stories knowing how easily such crashes can be prevented.

Got it. Don't ride in the bike lanes, ride in the middle of the road instead.

I'll inform the local bike coalitions to stop their idiotic campaigns to add more bike lanes because that'll only get more cyclists killed.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(yup - most of the coalitions are ill-informed, and prey on fear. They pull tricks from the NRA playbook.)

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Please, just stop. MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!

I think the only way this thread will die if 95 eventually gets run down by one of the attentive, understanding drivers patiently waiting for him to finish his 'control and release' maneuver.

With such a perspective, riding a bicycle in traffic must be terrifying for you.

Actually, I love riding in traffic. Well, I don't love it like I do riding beautiful open roads, but it doesn't phase me whatsoever. Also, I should add, when I ride in downtown traffic, I ride extremely defensively, my head is on a swivel, and I always make strong eye contact, give clear, easily recognizable verbal or visual cues, and generally, cover my ass as much as possible. I will never go on a 'training ride' in traffic, because I know I would be working too hard, and prone to errors in judgement/not being attentive etc. Plus, there's just too much stop and go to get a good workout in.

I'm playing in their world, and even if they are in the wrong and I'm in the right, I'm the one ending up dead if there's an accident. That's the mindset I have when I ride during rush hour or heavily traffic areas. Riding so far left that you're in their left tire track zone.... I don't know man, whatever floats your boat. Obviously, no one here is going to be changing your mind. I know that, unless I'm working my way through down town or something and I'm moving the same speed as traffic through short, stop and go city blocks, there is no chance in hell I'm attempting that because, after 20 years of riding I can confidently say that in most cases, at least around here, that is just a really, really dumb move.

Carry on. Hope you enjoy tomorrow's ride in your imaginary utopia of friendly, patient drivers who love slowing down by 30kph to wait for cyclists to release them!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

Many cyclists remain unaware of this stuff, including those who are all too often killed while blissfully riding on shoulders and in bike lanes. It's really difficult to read about those stories knowing how easily such crashes can be prevented.

Got it. Don't ride in the bike lanes, ride in the middle of the road instead.

I'll inform the local bike coalitions to stop their idiotic campaigns to add more bike lanes because that'll only get more cyclists killed.

Exactly.

Here's one of those idiotic "protected" bikeways they're demanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeZXRBRJOo

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my head is on a swivel

Hockey player. Defense.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Please, just stop. MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!

I think the only way this thread will die if 95 eventually gets run down by one of the attentive, understanding drivers patiently waiting for him to finish his 'control and release' maneuver.

With such a perspective, riding a bicycle in traffic must be terrifying for you.

Actually, I love riding in traffic. Well, I don't love it like I do riding beautiful open roads, but it doesn't phase me whatsoever. Also, I should add, when I ride in downtown traffic, I ride extremely defensively, my head is on a swivel, and I always make strong eye contact, give clear, easily recognizable verbal or visual cues, and generally, cover my ass as much as possible. I will never go on a 'training ride' in traffic, because I know I would be working too hard, and prone to errors in judgement/not being attentive etc. Plus, there's just too much stop and go to get a good workout in.

I'm playing in their world, and even if they are in the wrong and I'm in the right, I'm the one ending up dead if there's an accident. That's the mindset I have when I ride during rush hour or heavily traffic areas. Riding so far left that you're in their left tire track zone.... I don't know man, whatever floats your boat. Obviously, no one here is going to be changing your mind. I know that, unless I'm working my way through down town or something and I'm moving the same speed as traffic through short, stop and go city blocks, there is no chance in hell I'm attempting that because, after 20 years of riding I can confidently say that in most cases, at least around here, that is just a really, really dumb move.

Carry on. Hope you enjoy tomorrow's ride in your imaginary utopia of friendly, patient drivers who love slowing down by 30kph to wait for cyclists to release them!

You know it's not just me "imagining" this "utopia", right? We create it by how we ride, everywhere we ride.

Hours of video examples:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CyclistLorax

Explanatory/educational essay:

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

Facebook advocacy:
https://www.facebook.com/...TrafficLane/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/iamtrafficorg/?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/...ngSavvy.org/?fref=ts

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: Nov 17, 15 18:13
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:

Yes, I guess it is; being between Vineland and EHT

I'm just above Hammonton; most of the CRs I ride start with 5s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's news, then it must be news...

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [tribritre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. Well played. But please don't think avoiding debris is the only, or even main, reason to prefer full lane use by default over edge riding by default.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
NJSteve wrote:

Yes, I guess it is; being between Vineland and EHT

I'm just above Hammonton; most of the CRs I ride start with 5s

Yes. I ride on the 5s, too. Great roads.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is everybody? Staying safe?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I'd rather have a conversation with a Trumpie about the memo than go through this again.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought we were all riding our Tron Bikes on Zwift now, rendering this thread moot

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
How is everybody? Staying safe?

Despite over a thousand passes along this stretch since that day I have yet to see...

1. Debris on the side of the road.

2. Another cyclist in the middle of traffic going east at sunrise.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Duffy wrote:
...with the Helen's top, Trek shorts and white Trek bike with aero wheels...

Seems like all the Helen's riders meet this description

Every town has to have that “one” team/group. Out here it’s the Donut Ride jerks. :|
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
...with the Helen's top, Trek shorts and white Trek bike with aero wheels...

Your behavior and riding style not only endangered yourself but creates an even more hostile environment for all of us other cyclists.

You were riding in the middle of the right lane of PCH 1 while just to the right of you was a totally clear and very wide bike lane. This was during the very busy morning commute. I changed lanes and passed you after having to slow from the posted 55 mph speed limit down to ~25 mph. You were hard to see due to the fact that our easterly direction was facing directly into the low morning sun.

I honked my horn at you (after being well past you) to give a little hint. You responded with your middle finger.

A couple miles ahead at a stop light I attempted to explain to you that I too am a cyclist and that your behavior was dangerous. You told me to "fuck off" and gave me the finger again.

Many motorists believe that cyclists ("Lancers") are arrogant, entitled assholes with no regard to traffic laws or safety. You fit this stereotype perfectly.

Your actions have made it more dangerous on the roads for cyclists everywhere. I hope you see the error of your ways an use better judgement in the future.

I'm just aware of this post. I would punch this motherfucker in the face. Someone has to teach him a lesson.
Quote Reply

Prev Next