Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To shave or not to shave?
Quote | Reply
Just found this great tri forum.

I am new to tri's (about 12 months now) and also new to cycling. I see a lot of what I would call "serious" athletes whom shave their legs. Talking about males here.

What are the benefits of shaved legs ? Show off your leg muscles - ha? Reduce infection from leg hair in a wound after a fall?

I have done about 5,000 km (3,000 miles) on my bike in 12 months and have not fallen off once (I guess I am lucky). Are bike falls common for cyclists such that it warrants the dreaded shaving?

Do most of you male athletes shave your legs?

Thanks

"Hairy Legs"
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - I guess I should have done a "search post" first before I duplicated this question of shaving. Seems that it has been asked and answered many time before. Sorry.

Still "Hairy Legs"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah Ha! They're not hairly legs!

They're "Bearskin Leg Warmers"

I shave in years when I'm doing an IM so I don't look so stupid at races.

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shave. I consider myself pretty serious about the sport but I do it just incase there is a nasty fall. As once stated by someone on this forum(sorry, I don't remember the name), there are three types of cyclist: Ones that will fall, ones that have fallen, and ones that are both.

Plus it's a lot faster in the swim, if you don't wear a wetsuit. I have also heard from many swim coaches who are freaks about the shave and taper thing(like myself), that by shaving, it reduces lactic acid in that part of the body. Don't ask me to explain why because I have no clue how, I've just heard it from many people and it seems to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the chicks dig it.... while you're at it, hit the arms and chest also

jg
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, #1 reason. Chicks dig it. Even a long-entrenched wife will dig it. Its a hassle sometimes, but I'd never go back. And you quickly get over the ego-infested ribbing from the "manly" men out there. They don't know what they don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The #1 reason for me is because it keeps me racing. Sounds strange, but I've been shaving my legs since I started racing about 15 years ago. Now that I'm so used to it, I can't stand the thought of letting the hair grow back, but if I'm not racing, I have no excuse. So see, in some twisted way I race so I can shave my legs. :)
Quote Reply
Some it up in one word [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've posted on this before and I think you can put the answer very simply: It's SexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexySexy

I don't think any ladies here have ever posted that they were very turned off, or thought shaved legs were horrible.

-The only smooth legged rodent in the midwest
Quote Reply
Re: Some it up in one word [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, shaved legs are a definite turn-off. Shaved chest, not so much.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Some it up in one word [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bay area types sure like things differently...

just pulling your (shaved) legs, clm ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Some it up in one word [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife was horrified when I first shaved them but now she has grown to like it. Everybody does it to look cool. All other reasons are bull@#$%. Seen the TV comercials for the show 54321? "Don't be THAT guy". Same principle.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Schwingding [ In reply to ]
Re: To shave or not to shave? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently do not shave, but my wife keeps nagging on me TO shave. She is tired of seeing me in bike shorts and speedos with hairy legs. She says it just not a flattering look.

Again, it just seems to be for the chicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing, the people that can shave, will (they aren't ever hairy guys anyway). What ever the "reason"; a commitment to the sport, falls, easier to get the wet suit off or sex appeal, it's just another tri sub-culture. Try it out, but beware of the in grown hair once you get tired of shaving every week! I'm a guy who gets 12 o'clock shadow, let alone 5 o'clock. I'd never do it!
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After a few times - no more hair - anywhere you use it.

Do you happen to know of one that works in reverse--I need one that will put hair back where it doesn't seem to grow anymore. :(
Quote Reply
Re: To shave or not to shave? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh that's easy! All you have to do is switch the batteries around.

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply