Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads..
Quote | Reply
Why?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Sep 28, 20 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feeling lonely and trolling for people to belittle?
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about the pads being mounted on a parallel plane to the basebar, with a ski-bend extension?

This is the setup I have on my P3, I am using a mostly stock cockpit except I swapped for the carbon cups vs the stock aluminum from 3T.

I haven't cut the steerer tube yet but am running a Tririg stem.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't run them (I run drops with special clip-on aerobars), but I think that know why riders tilt up their base bars.

Riding with flat base bars in the regular world (like, say, a fast downhill stretch with turns and less than perfect pavement) is a very, very poor option. Only two things possible with that kind of set-up in that situation: ride very dangerously, or go way slower than possible. I don't like to do either.

So I think that riders tilt up their base bars to kind of simulate the hooks (and the security) of drop bars.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 28, 20 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t the most likely answer because that is what the stock aerobar set up that they bought offers them? What percentage of the market (I mean actual aerobars actually in use, not available for purchase) offer tilt for pads?
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Isn’t the most likely answer because that is what the stock aerobar set up that they bought offers them? What percentage of the market (I mean actual aerobars actually in use, not available for purchase) offer tilt for pads?

I would agree, and add that the new bike owner will feel the utility of the upswept bullhorns immediately, but yet ride level pads and extensions indefinitely.

How long was it between when the industry offered purpose built upswept bullhorn ends and native pad tilt function?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I don't run them (I run drops with special clip-on aerobars), but I think that know why riders tilt up their base bars.

Riding with flat base bars in the regular world (like, say, a fast downhill stretch with turns and less than perfect pavement) is a very, very poor option. Only two things possible with that kind of set-up in that situation: ride very dangerously, or go way slower than possible. I don't like to do either.

So I think that riders tilt up their base bars to kind of simulate the hooks (and the security) of drop bars.

Are your pads tilted?

Last edited by: ericMPro: Sep 28, 20 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
Are you talking about the pads being mounted on a parallel plane to the basebar, with a ski-bend extension?

This is the setup I have on my P3, I am using a mostly stock cockpit except I swapped for the carbon cups vs the stock aluminum from 3T.

I haven't cut the steerer tube yet but am running a Tririg stem.

Have you considered tilting your pads like your bullhorns?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are (tilted to match forearms slightly tilted up).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 28, 20 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Feeling lonely and trolling for people to belittle?

I honestly don’t understand the sentiment of your post.

It’s a legitimate question... many many KQs, TT titles, and fit philosophies (FIST, for one), not to mention a business mini-empire (TriRig), have been launched on the back of questions like this one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had the parts in hand I'd be open to trying anything, with the promise of additional speed (first) and comfort (second). I feel like before investing money in this area however, I'd want to consult a professional fitter as so far I've just been using trial and error for a self fit.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
If I had the parts in hand I'd be open to trying anything, with the promise of additional speed (first) and comfort (second). I feel like before investing money in this area however, I'd want to consult a professional fitter as so far I've just been using trial and error for a self fit.

Done right, ie. doing the right things *in addition to* doing things right, changes like this will hit the trifecta... comfort, power, and speed.

Consider how comfort helps aero and also power. For one it’s direct and one indirect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric
Tilted bullhorns and elbow pads sounds so comfortable! You have a solution for a P5-6 cockpit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I know you like tilted pads, as do I.....but are you advocating for or against tilted bullhorns to match the tilted pads? And, why?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 28, 20 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Why?

The short answer is because the PD aerobar bracket I have doesn't offer pad tilt (independent of the aerobars). So, I need pad wedges, and I haven't gotten around to buying them them yet.

TLDR: I'm lazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you're getting at (whether an open Q or something else)... bit here goes.

I'm using a Profile Design 'zero's base bar + J4 brackets and the T1+ bars (the bars that have a double kick up to be like a ski bend.

The base bars are about flat (so the aero profile portion is flat) but the last few inches kicks up - so your hands don't slide off when braking, downhill etc. Seems just sensible to help keep control. (Something Dan wrote about about 2 or 3 years ago).

The extentions clamp to a circular section of the base bar (just as the stem does) so the pads and in turn extentions can be T any angle. Mine ate tilted a little- just a couple of degrees (2 or 3 degrees as a guess by eye) - simply for comfort - the bend of the extensions then just fall into a comfortable position. (I just can't get on with straight extentions or S shaped- I hate having to cock my wrists downwards at all.
The the ski bend extentions give me something to push against to hold in position so the pad doesn't have to be hugely tilted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question feels very unclear. Might get varied response.

1) Are you asking for those with native uptilted bullhorn ends (like PD Ozero), and flat elbow pads (Due to no adjustment). Why run such an old setup?
2) Are you asking for those with straight bullhorn ends (but uptilted through stem), and flat elbow pads. Why not tilt the entire bar?
3) Are you asking something that might have to do with shape of extensions (J-bend, SKi-bend, ergo, etc.)?
4) Is the question based on assumption of "if you have uptilt bullhorns, then you should have uptilt elbow pads?" -> Why do you have a different preference?

As for my reaction to the question. I don't think one's preference for bullhorns and elbow pads necessarily correlate? Some might have no preference. If I have a PD ozero base, I'll set it up to be how i think it's most aero (in which case the bullhorns will be left uptilt)?

I also feel no utility in upswept bull horns (many might be like me). From my experience, if I actually have to brace against my bullhorn, I am probably already crashing. If I am descending on my bullhorns, I should have my body shifted back, else I'd have too much weight on my front wheel for proper control no matter what (arms would also be too rigid). The shape of the basebar being a small cylinder is enough for me to feel like a bump won't shake my hand off the bars.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Sep 28, 20 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the optimal angle for the bullhorn tilt?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Around 15 degrees for control and comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Basically, match the tilt of brake hoods. Ergonomically (not aerodynamically) speaking that is what the bullhorn is trying to replicate.

To the OP, the tilt of the pads and the sweep of the bullhorns are orthogonal. Might as well match the saddle tilt while you're at it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the basebar count as tilted if the foil is horizontal?
Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

How do you feel about pad tilt?

Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Does the basebar count as tilted if the foil is horizontal?

We are talking the upswept part to hold

Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Basically, match the tilt of brake hoods. Ergonomically (not aerodynamically) speaking that is what the bullhorn is trying to replicate.

To the OP, the tilt of the pads and the sweep of the bullhorns are orthogonal. Might as well match the saddle tilt while you're at it.

I’m not sure if you’re serious but this is the post.

Quote Reply
Re: To Those of You With Tilted Bullhorns Ends and Flat Elbow Pads.. [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another way to put it is why are bullhorns upswept?

Quote Reply

Prev Next