Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To Sara Gross (TriEqual president)
Quote | Reply
Sara, you left a Facebook post on the article posted yesterday about who likely triggered the US Atty's investigation into IM's lottery. i'm answering you here, on the forum, because i think it's a better architecture for any back-and-forth on this.

you wrote that, "I do not think its fair to draw lines between this story and TriEqual," and that "In fact, we hope to work with the WTC if they are willing to communicate with us."

i do note a tone (your tone, you personally) that is refreshing and civil. it's not my call who leads your organization but in my opinion the group has precisely the right person heading it.

let me tell you why i disagree with your statement that, "These two topics are mutually exclusive" if what you mean is that they are entirely disconnected.

my issue with TriEqual has never been its mission or its opinions. it is the behavior, language, frothing of the mob, that has grown up around the movement, and TriEqual's silence when it always could have appealed for civility among its own adherents had it so chosen. i think this bears directly on the topic, but i'm going to leave that for a moment.

the original story we wrote, announcing the news of the US Atty's move against the lottery, was the most-read story on slowtwitch in awhile. yet, in my mind, that was the end of it after it was published. i did not "out" ryan and mark. they outed themselves. i felt this was itself a story because the topic was so ardently followed by our readers and because it's interesting, to me, that triathletes themselves started this in motion rather than the justice dept figuring it out itself (yes, the feds might have independently decided to take action, but, curiously, after decades of ignoring the lottery, a letter was sent to the feds blowing the whistle on the lottery and the feds chose to contact ironman that very same month).

the US Atty, who raced and finished IMFL 8 times, who undoubtedly was not naive of the lottery program, did not even think about the illegality of it until it was brought to his attention. i don't think he was blind, stupid, or corrupt. i just think it didn't occur to him, like it didn't occur to me, and it probably didn't occur to ironman down through the years. it was overly commercial and fed on the forlorn hopes of kona aspirants, but i very much doubt that ironman conspired to get away with a criminal act - the act might have violated laws, but i don't think this was ironman's intent (and i doubt the US Atty thinks so either).

yet, look at the FB comments appending to both the articles we published on this. read those comments, and you tell me whether you think they're over the top. see if you recognize the names any of these folks who are posting.

when i followed the twitter and FB comments by ryan and mark, i don't read "it's a bittersweet day, it's the end of something that should not be continued, that's a positive thing, but it's hard to watch such an important tri-related organization be harmed." rather, the comments are gleeful. victory. we won. look what we did. congratulatory. high-fiving. and i think this flows directly from the mood TriEqual has allowed if not fostered. i think your own comment betrays a sentiment: "...if they are willing to communicate with us." this is what has driven so much of the frustration. below is what ryan wrote to me about the genesis of the letter to the feds on the lottery:

"During the course of our dialogue regarding the Ironman Foundation, KBG drafted an email to Dave Deschanes requesting comment. I then drafted an initial email with questions to send to Ellie Seifert and Andrew Messick on December 22nd. The response received was, and I quote, 'We decline to participate.' Given the frosty nature of the communication line, on or about this date, I drafted a form letter which is the one that you see in Mark's Tweet, regarding what appeared to be a violation of Florida law. I then forwarded it to Mark."

TriEqual felt dissed, and maybe it was dissed, by ironman when it sent its original letter asking for/demanding 15 extra slots for the women. since that time what i see is a posture that might be best described as, "ironman is going to rue the day it decided to ignore us." i think it's absolutely germane to the story - and would have been bad journalism to omit - the close ties that bind the organizations, inside of which the various parties written about sit. there's been a frothing up, and that frothing was generated around the TriEqual movement. TriEqual has welcomed it. used it to its advantage. made the conscious decision not to tamp it down.

this is why i disagree with your view that TriEqual and this lottery issue are disconnected. in fact, were i to try to construct an argument proving that your movement and this event were disconnected, it would be an extreme exercise in dialectic.

finally, i don't see what all the hubbub is about. i'm at once told in the FB comments that what these folks did was a heroic act (uncovering criminality) and how dare i smear them, shame them, by shining a light on what they did! i have never seen a group of people so conflicted by an act taken. someone even took me to task for placing a picture of ryan in the story. when i wrote back that i asked ryan for a picture for the story, and ryan sent it, the reader became even more irate at me!

so, yes, i do think it's fair to paint a landscape of TriEqual's supporters and leaders who have felt insulted by ironman's refusal to engage; a superheated atmosphere of incivility that TriEqual has allowed to fester; and observers can either conclude that this poisoned mood created an atmosphere that brought us to this point; or whether, as you assert, all these activities are occurring entirely independent of each other; have nothing to do with the other; and, i suppose, you think that absent the TriEqual movement mark and ryan never would have sent the letter to the justice dept.

in short, you (and i mean you, personally) are saying the right things. you are using a tone i appreciate. i think clint either lucked out our chose wisely when he corralled you (or you corralled each other). were i ironman, i would find it a pleasure to sit down with you and hash out the issues, see if there was a future where all sides felt satisfied. i just think that there's one element missing, and that is your own exhortations for civility to your own supporters. i do believe a reasonable person can draw a line between the escalating anger at ironman triggered by TriEqual, and the lottery news of day before yesterday, and to omit that connection would have been bad reporting. that's why the article was written as it was.

[LATE EDIT: to those coming to this post late, i've done some further investigation and i'm out over my skis conflating TriEqual with "lotterygate." i can't find any evidence of a nexus here, so, when i write this above to sara - "i disagree with your view that TriEqual and this lottery issue are disconnected" - there are timeline problems; and the fellow who wrote the letter alerting Justice what he felt was an illegal lottery insists the women's issues were not a factor. indeed these issues were not widely discussed in public until february, 2 months after the letter to Justice was sent. therefore, you'll see in post #141 of this thread that i can no longer support this part of what i'm writing above. further, there is or soon will be a statement to this effect i expect any reader will find on the main slowtwitch page.]

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 16, 15 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think it would be funny if WTC said "You guys want equality.....OK, then, it will now be 35/35".

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, the resentment and frothing some people feel for a corporation like Ironman, that continues to raise fees, makes exorbitant demands from cities, has killed traditional races, has brought a new "racer" only focused on IM or HIM and their M dot tattoo & sticker into the sport, can only be traced back to TriEqual? Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan: That was cheap "journalism" and you know it. Please don't try to defend it.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reporting the lottery for investigation was a douchebag move, because it just harms people out there who dream of 1 shot at Kona. Do you really think the monetary penalty will have any long-term effect on WTC? No. They'll make the difference some other way.

And I don't know much about TriEqual's goals, other than their main website page. But the women's pro slots at Kona have *nothing* to do with the lottery. It isn't a zero-sum game. I wish people would stop trying to make them equivalent.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [Maui_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am happy to hear why you think so.

by the way, the one person who's manned up, owned his acts, is ryan. i've got a lot of respect for that guy or, to put it more clearly, my respect for him has grown immensely over the past 24hr.

but, to the point (and i'm glad to see you emerge from the lavender room to engage on the main forum), i find it fascinating that those who champion the act are incensed that i wrote about how the act came to be, especially after the actors themselves announced their actions!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that the campaign to get rid of the lottery was meant as retaliation against the WTC, because they wouldn't add 15 extra pro women's slots?

If so, buttery -

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
there's been a frothing up, and that frothing was generated around the TriEqual movement

You seem equally conflicted. You go out of your way to commend Sara's civility, then accuse her organization of encouraging "frothing." Which has a distinct pejorative tone to it. Just like "manifesto" has a pejorative tone. You're being civil but speaking form a mildly condescending, paternal position.

If you're going to approach this from the position of a journalist, use neutral terms.

If you're going to approach it as an editorial writer, make your thesis transparent instead of dancing around the issue by making allusions to possible connections, "Moon Landing a Hoax.?"
Last edited by: trail: May 15, 15 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Wait, the resentment and frothing some people feel for a corporation like Ironman, that continues to raise fees, makes exorbitant demands from cities, has killed traditional races, has brought a new "racer" only focused on IM or HIM and their M dot tattoo & sticker into the sport, can only be traced back to TriEqual? Makes sense.

Nobody is forced to do WTC races, and WTC aren't responsible for killing traditional races. If triathletes are choosing to race HIM or IM instead of traditional races, it can only be because WTC are putting out a more attractive product. Particularly since, as you point out, their fees tend to be higher.

I simply don't get the resentment for WTC. If you don't like their races, don't do them. There are plenty of other races out there of all distances to take part in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:

Hyperbole much?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

TriEqual felt dissed, and maybe it was dissed, by ironman when it sent its original letter asking for/demanding 15 extra slots for the women. since that time what i see is a posture that might be best described as, "ironman is going to rue the day it decided to ignore us." i think it's absolutely germane to the story - and would have been bad journalism to omit - the close ties that bind the organizations, inside of which the various parties written about sit. there's been a frothing up, and that frothing was generated around the TriEqual movement. TriEqual has welcomed it. used it to its advantage. made the conscious decision not to tamp it down.

this is why i disagree with your view that TriEqual and this lottery issue are disconnected. in fact, were i to try to construct an argument proving that your movement and this event were disconnected, it would be an extreme exercise in dialectic.

Hi Dan - I do not think something based on a lot of speculation regarding motivation and intent should be considered "absolutely germane to the story" without doing the appropriate research. I think this hypothesis regarding "guilt by association" generated some of the feedback that you have received regarding the article.

If slowtwitch posts are going to be paraded as "news", rather than as editorial, it seems wise to beef up the research and use of legitimate sources without resorting to wild speculation. Should you need an on-call fact-checker, I would gladly volunteer.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not email or message this directly to Sara? If you want to have a dialogue with her to understand her position on the questions/comments you have, why not do that directly? Seems more civil to me...

sara@saragross.ca
http://www.saragross.ca/contact.php
https://twitter.com/saragross

Something tells me one of those will get you in direct contact with her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"During the course of our dialogue regarding the Ironman Foundation, KBG drafted an email to Dave Deschanes requesting comment. I then drafted an initial email with questions to send to Ellie Seifert and Andrew Messick on December 22nd. The response received was, and I quote, 'We decline to participate.' Given the frosty nature of the communication line, on or about this date, I drafted a form letter which is the one that you see in Mark's Tweet, regarding what appeared to be a violation of Florida law. I then forwarded it to Mark."

TriEqual felt dissed, and maybe it was dissed, by ironman when it sent its original letter asking for/demanding 15 extra slots for the women.

So Ryan contacted WTC for comments. Dark Mark then sent the letter to the feds. WTC declined to respond.

How to you go from here to "TriEqual felt dissed"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront. I must say that by my casual observance, TriEqual has appeared to be a group of disgruntled triathletes with an axe to grind against WTC. My perception is that it's really more about sticking it to Ironman and that the equality issue is just a convenient cover. The people involved in TriEqual and their attempt to hold a meeting at the Ironman Texas host hotel is a good example of why I doubt their sincerity. To learn that they were behind reporting WTC to the feds only strengthens my suspicion. I hope that Ms Gross can help to clarify TriEqual's mission and separate what it is attempting to achieve from the behavior and motives of some of it's members.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non sequitur.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I still think it would be funny if WTC said "You guys want equality.....OK, then, it will now be 35/35".

I still think it's funny that people portray 50/50 as equality. Should be 85 slots, indifferent to any quality about the competitor except their performance.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Reporting the lottery for investigation was a douchebag move, because it just harms people out there who dream of 1 shot at Kona. Do you really think the monetary penalty will have any long-term effect on WTC? No. They'll make the difference some other way.

And I don't know much about TriEqual's goals, other than their main website page. But the women's pro slots at Kona have *nothing* to do with the lottery. It isn't a zero-sum game. I wish people would stop trying to make them equivalent.

^This. I have never participated in the lottery and will not regret its passing and I suspect most slowtwitchers feel the same way. However, in other forum populated by everyday triathletes, there is sadness that this opportunity is now gone. Triathletes were not scammed by WTC. Instead they signed up in droves knowing their chance was slim to none, but that it was a chance. No one is better off by this action.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[I have never participated in the lottery and will not regret its passing and I suspect most slowtwitchers feel the same way. However, in other forum populated by everyday triathletes, there is sadness that this opportunity is now gone. Triathletes were not scammed by WTC. Instead they signed up in droves knowing their chance was slim to none, but that it was a chance. No one is better off by this action.[/quote]

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: May 15, 15 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
TriEqual has appeared to be a group of disgruntled triathletes with an axe to grind against WTC. My perception is that it's really more about sticking it to Ironman and that the equality issue is just a convenient cover.

You do realize the quest for equality is because we want to see women race Kona and Ironman, not the reverse? Why would a "mob" against an organization so ardently fight to be an integral part of that organization?

TriEqual is fighting to promote progress in Ironman, not the reverse. In a world where women still make 78 cents on the dollar to men, why shouldn't sport at the world championship stage be a beacon of equality for the future? Much like we saw female involvement in sport increase at the youth level when NCAA kicked off Title IX, why can't we fight to support a structure of equality in which "Anything is Possible" regardless of your gender? I'm getting off a tangent here, but cannot help but shake my head at the portrayal of the TriEqual movement as a "frothing mob" of "disgruntled triathletes". Yes, there are some more vocal than others but to conflate all things bad and evil with this group simply because they are passionate about something so straightforward as equality is misguided.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maggieru wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Hi Dan - I do not think something based on a lot of speculation regarding motivation and intent should be considered "absolutely germane to the story" without doing the appropriate research. I think this hypothesis regarding "guilt by association" generated some of the feedback that you have received regarding the article.

If slowtwitch posts are going to be paraded as "news", rather than as editorial, it seems wise to beef up the research and use of legitimate sources without resorting to wild speculation. Should you need an on-call fact-checker, I would gladly volunteer.

Hang on second - you are saying that Dan is using "a lot of speculation regarding motivation..."? Did you read the quote given to Dan by the guy who authored the complaint to the DOJ? Here it is: "During the course of our dialogue regarding the Ironman Foundation, KBG drafted an email to Dave Deschanes requesting comment. I then drafted an initial email with questions to send to Ellie Seifert and Andrew Messick on December 22nd. The response received was, and I quote, 'We decline to participate.' Given the frosty nature of the communication line, on or about this date, I drafted a form letter which is the one that you see in Mark's Tweet, regarding what appeared to be a violation of Florida law. I then forwarded it to Mark."

I've highlighted the section which I think clearly shows what the motivation for sending the letter to the DOJ was. Mind you, Dan didn't say this...it came directly from the author of the letter. The fact remains that one of the leaders of TriEqual (KBG) and a big supporter (Heisler) were having a discussion related to 50 to Kona. They then began discussing the legality of the Kona lottery. Out of that, Heisler drafted the complaint to the DOJ...Dark Mark sent it to them. After the DOJ released their report two days ago...Dark Mark goes on twitter and claims responsibility with Heisler. Dan didn't out them...there was no 20/20 investigative effort by Dan or Slowtwitch. Dan reached out the the responsible parties the publicly claimed responsibility, got a comment from one of them (the other declined comment) and reported the timeline and the comments. I see nothing wrong with his approach and it is well above board. Whether KBG actually drafted part, all, or none of the complaint doesn't matter...she was involved from a timeline perspective and from a background perspective (per Heisler). Thus it is more than fair to make mention of it.

Not only that, Dan asked her for comments on her involvement, reported her response, and went the additional step of saying that he believed her that she wasn't party to the writing or sending of the complaint. What other "legitimate sources" would you interview?
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much like we saw female involvement in sport increase at the youth level when NCAA kicked off Title IX, why can't we fight to support a structure of equality in which "Anything is Possible"//

Keep in mind that title 9 also had the affect of cutting mens sports, often not adding anymore women to the sports rosters. My swim team along with 100's of other mens sports were cut from college programs, just so they would not have to add any more womens sports. Things are not always good or bad, sometimes they can be both. Will it be a victory if they cut the mens slots to 35 in this instance? It equalizes and pretends to do what folks are asking, but will anyone have really won anything in this instance?
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they were doing is illegal. Don't you think there is a legal way to accomplish what the lottery aimed to do?

I don't care who blew the whistle or what their motivation was. It was illegal activity..
Last edited by: dtaylor: May 15, 15 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
My swim team along with 100's of other mens sports were cut from college programs, just so they would not have to add any more womens sports.

Sounds like your example is a bit misguided.
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Dan, thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront. I must say that by my casual observance, TriEqual has appeared to be a group of disgruntled triathletes with an axe to grind against WTC. My perception is that it's really more about sticking it to Ironman and that the equality issue is just a convenient cover. The people involved in TriEqual and their attempt to hold a meeting at the Ironman Texas host hotel is a good example of why I doubt their sincerity. To learn that they were behind reporting WTC to the feds only strengthens my suspicion. I hope that Ms Gross can help to clarify TriEqual's mission and separate what it is attempting to achieve from the behavior and motives of some of it's members.

SO.SPOT.ON!
Quote Reply
Re: To Sara Gross (TriEqual president) [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You misrepresent the purpose of our discussions, which were tied to our research on the finances of the Ironman Foundation and in no way, shape, or form related to 50 Women to Kona.

Any and all discussion surrounding 50 Women to Kona came well after our research into both the Foundation and the Kona Lottery.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next