Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tires
Quote | Reply
     I have some tire questions. I notice that some clincher tires have maximum psi of 145 (such as Vredstein's which I used last season). What are the advantages to this type of tire versus a tire with a maximum psi of 110-120? Are the higher psi tires more puncture resistant? faster? less comfortable ride? I need new tires for a 1/2 ironman on rough roads and was wondering what I should get. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
less rolling resistance. I hesitate to put too high of air pressure into a clincher tire though. Fuji bikes were coming stock with these 170psi racing clinchers. At that psi, you're playing with the ability of the bead of the rim to support all that pressure without giving out, especially if you get a blowout and all that pressure suddenly drops, the rim is much more likely to deform.

I recommend Michelin High Lite's. You can find 'em for twenty bucks or less online, they ride very smoothly at 110psi, and they are hard to puncture. I also recommend michelins carbon comp, but they're 15 bucks more and don't ride or grip quite as smooth, but are virtualy puncture proof as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally will never put over 110 in a clincher every again. I'm light so 110 is plenty of air.
I was riding on day, had put 120 psi in and the tires where rated for 125. I was going about 35 mph down a windy backcountry road, tap the brakes to dump so speed before a corner and blow the rear tire, like it exploded, one side comes all the way off the rim. I already had like 3-400 miles since I changed the tube and done heavier braking hills w/ no problems. Thankfully there was no traffic and I stayed upright, but that has since made me alittle more weary of those high PSI clinchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
105-120 is the perfect pressure. (Depending on rider weight and road surface). Higher pressure gives higher rolling resistanse on normal roads. A medium pressure (105-120) means a bit flex - making the wheel roll straight on, while higher pressure forces the wheels to jump up and down over all uneven parts of the road.

I think the mentioned accident with 120 pis was just a random accident - if the rim is classified for high pressure, that's not any problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i think the blow-out was random as well. the roads may have been hot or you might have been braking harder all day than you thought. in any case, it is more important to determine what your RIM's recommended pressure is. for example, my Ksyriums say not to inflate over 120psi although the rim is rated at at 145, because the 25psi is allowance for heat build-up due to braking. so 170psi clinchers are a load of crap, unless your rim explicitly says it can hang on at about 200psi.

Kim
Quote Reply