Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tires
Quote | Reply
I have Specialized Turbo Pro Gripton and looking for new tires because the are old tires and looking for faster tires.

Options: 1) Vittoria Corsa 2) Bontrager R4 3) Continental GP

How would you rank those tires? Also, what roughly (all variables considered) be a time savings on a 40K with the tire upgrade?
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of your 3 options are a specific tire.

What wheels are you running, and what event?
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
None of your 3 options are a specific tire.

What wheels are you running, and what event?

Wheels profile design 58 78 with rear wheel cover. Event Olympic distance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t touch the bontragers. Conti GP4000 is a solid tire. They do make faster ones with a bit less puncture protection.

Quote | Reply
Why not? Not the fastest, but for not bad given decent puncture resistance. Pretty dependable grip in my experience too.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME the durability is not good and the puncture resistance is poor. There are much better options out there.

Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Wheels profile design 58 78 with rear wheel cover. Event Olympic distance

Definitely run a 23 on the front. If you want some puncture protection the Conti Attack 23 is the best choice. Think I saw them for $45 on probikekit. You could run a GPTT 25 on the back if your frame will fit it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heuristic analysis of the 4,173 other tire threads on the site suggests a slightly worn Conti GP 4000 with a latex tube in the width most appropriate for your rim will be the best choice 93 times out of 102.

Last edited by: M----n: Jun 17, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I have Specialized Turbo Pro Gripton and looking for new tires because the are old tires and looking for faster tires.

Options: 1) Vittoria Corsa 2) Bontrager R4 3) Continental GP

How would you rank those tires? Also, what roughly (all variables considered) be a time savings on a 40K with the tire upgrade?

I also focus on OLY distance and switched from Conti gps to TTs this year. According to several sites (and Conti), it's a faster tire with the same Vectran puncture protection. Just less tread so a shorter life. Used in two events so far this year and very satisfied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there much difference between the attack and the GP4000SII? Does the GP have a thicker casing for more puncture resistance?
Knock on wood, been using the GP4000SII's (both in 23 and 25) & latex tubes for about 4 years now and not a single flat.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Is there much difference between the attack and the GP4000SII? Does the GP have a thicker casing for more puncture resistance?
Knock on wood, been using the GP4000SII's (both in 23 and 25) & latex tubes for about 4 years now and not a single flat.... :)

All the Conti "good" tires have the same 110tpi x3 casing. All but the Supersonic have a Vectran belt, which I think is the same in each. All have Black Chili tread compound but there might be differences in formulation.

The Attack, GPTT, and SS have much thinner tread than the GP4000. That's the main difference. The GP4000 is very good aerodynamically for a tire its size, but Crr isn't the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running GP4000s... 23 on the front and 25 in the rear with latex tubes. Great combo... fast, comfortable and reasonable flat protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok... So it looks like I going to upgrade from the Turbo Pro Gripton to the Continental GP 4000s...

Looks like a savings of 1.5 watts... So I'm thinking like not a material difference on a 40k...

A few seconds? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General rule is 4 seconds per watt over 40k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting a savings of 1.5 watts?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S-Works Turbo and GP4000 are pretty much identical

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Where are you getting a savings of 1.5 watts?

Bicyclerollingresistancecom
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

So what should I get.... I need new tires and trying to buy some speed... LBS has conti up 4000s, bkntrager r4s and Victoria corsa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get GP4000s and you'll be fine.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I think S Works Turbo a tad quicker but more susceptible to punctures.

Either would be better than R4.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised that no love for Vittoria Corse Speed+. I was under the impression it is one of the fastest out there, and lowest crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally poor aero performance, but good on the rear if you also are ok with having the most fragile tire around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run r4 on my bonterager wheel in the front and G4000sii in the back. Any room for improvement?
Quote Reply
Re: Tires [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager makes all sorts of R4 variants. And wheels.

Fastest combo on most wheels would be a Supersonic old 23 or new 20 (or old 20 if you have really narrow rims) on the front, and a Corsa Speed 25 on the rear. If you want more puncture resistance and you have wide rims, then the Attack on the front and 25mm GPTT rear would be the top choice IMO.

These are for racing, not daily riding. The tread is thin and won't last long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Generally poor aero performance, but good on the rear if you also are ok with having the most fragile tire around.

Who cares. The crr reduction makes up for the "poor" aero. Listen to Tom A.

Quote Reply

Prev Next