Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tire width vs aero: where do you stand?
Quote | Reply
It is widely accepted/proven that wider tires allow for lower rolling resistance, and (maybe less publicised) lower pressures cope better with impedance losses from rough surfaces. It is also well accepted, that wider tires take an aero hit at zero yaw, and do so even more at yaw if you go over the width of the rim.

Disc brakes are allowing tire sizes like 28mm (measuring even larger) to become a reality with minimal low yaw aero losses, offset by improved rolling resistance, and impedance losses, as the roads i frequent are not great.

Many of us are limited in tire choice due to our frames, and/or rim brakes.

It is all give an take, and your average speed, wind strength/direction, rider weight, and road surface factor in.

What combo have you opted for, and why?

To start, as a light 130lbs/60kg rider i have opted for 25mm tires, measuring 26mm at 90psi, on rims that are 25mm at the brake track, and 27mm at the widest. My reasoning is that i want to follow the 105% rule for optimal aerodynamics of my wheel, and i keep the pressures low(er) to prevent tire size from getting too large, and hurting aero. What i lose in rolling resistance with lower pressures is partly offset by my low weight, and gains in comfort, aero, and minimizing impedance.

Given the pressures i run, i estimate marginal gain scaling up to 28cc tires, wider rims (requiring disc brakes).
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 31, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
To start, as a light 130lbs/60kg rider i have opted for 25mm tires, measuring 26mm at 90psi.

holy f*ck

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

90psi considered low?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

90psi considered low?

Crazy high

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anything that is a race(tri's, TTs) or closely resembles a race (fast group rides)... I will go lower width combined with aero... basically where the average speed as above 20mph and considerable time will be spent above that speed

if it's a fondo or gravel ride where I dont care about time I will chose wider width..for the comfort mostly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wider tires having lower rolling resistance is only true if the results aren't normalized for casing tension. Narrow tires with proper pressure allow you to optimize both, at the expense of some handling and comfort, which I'm willing to do for time trials. I'll be running supersonics next tri season, 20mm front and 23mm rear, probably between 80-90 psi. Currently i weigh 180lbs but I'm hoping to be closer to 170 next race season.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

90psi considered low?

It is all relative is it not? I have gone with 120-130psi with other wheels in the right road conditions when i am trying to minimize rolling resistance.

Also, the gp4000sii’s i use advise 95-120psi. So for continental, I suppose 90psi is low. But i have yet to crash and burn in a ball of flames pushing the upper or lower limits... yet.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 31, 18 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I'm sticking with my Hed3/Renn disc combo. I'll be staying with 20f/ 23r Contentinentals

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right road conditions = track? 130 is off the chart too high
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It is widely accepted/proven that wider tires allow for lower rolling resistance"

Really?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
hblake wrote:

90psi considered low?

Crazy high

Why would i run lower?

My view is to find the pressure that allows a smooth ride (minimize impedance losses), maximize pressure (reduce rolling resistance losses) while not exceeding the width of the 105% rule. 23cc might work also, but smoothness/impedance was the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Wider tires having lower rolling resistance is only true if the results aren't normalized for casing tension.

Casing tension? If you want to normalize for "ride" (spring rate over typical road irregularities) then look at equivalent pressure. The larger tire will then be better at Crr and pinch flat resistance.

But I don't believe that wide tires are good for aero on the front (especially with yaw and handling), and are detrimental even on the back. I run a 20mm SS on a 86mm rim with 25mm brake track (17mm internal) and 29mm max width. The tire is ~22mm wide. 23mm CS on the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:
right road conditions = track? 130 is off the chart too high

Smooth road, non-aero wheels/bike. I only have done it a few times... to very fast results (obviously not scientific), but it is just not worth it for most of my road bike riding for obvious reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90psi is too high for you.
I'm planning to ride the following combo this season:

HED jet plus black / disc combo (25mm width) with Supersonic 20mm front, Supersonic 23mm rear at 75-80psi and latex. I'm 71kg.

Rocket_racing wrote:
It is widely accepted/proven that wider tires allow for lower rolling resistance, and (maybe less publicised) lower pressures cope better with impedance losses from rough surfaces. It is also well accepted, that wider tires take an aero hit at zero yaw, and do so even more at yaw if you go over the width of the rim.

Disc brakes are allowing tire sizes like 28mm (measuring even larger) to become a reality with minimal low yaw aero losses, offset by improved rolling resistance, and impedance losses, as the roads i frequent are not great.

Many of us are limited in tire choice due to our frames, and/or rim brakes.

It is all give an take, and your average speed, wind strength/direction, rider weight, and road surface factor in.

What combo have you opted for, and why?

To start, as a light 130lbs/60kg rider i have opted for 25mm tires, measuring 26mm at 90psi, on rims that are 25mm at the brake track, and 27mm at the widest. My reasoning is that i want to follow the 105% rule for optimal aerodynamics of my wheel, and i keep the pressures low(er) to prevent tire size from getting too large, and hurting aero. What i lose in rolling resistance with lower pressures is partly offset by my low weight, and gains in comfort, aero, and minimizing impedance.

Given the pressures i run, i estimate marginal gain scaling up to 28cc tires, wider rims (requiring disc brakes).

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Dec 31, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
LAI wrote:
hblake wrote:

90psi considered low?

Crazy high

Why would i run lower?

Traction, comfort, and because you should not be so damn dogmatic.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 31, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
"It is widely accepted/proven that wider tires allow for lower rolling resistance"

Really?

Pretty much. 19cc tires are pretty dead for example. 8 years ago, 23cc was called “wide.” The debate is more about, for a given rider, at what width do gains become offset by losses? Given the multitude of factors at play to generate a “correct” answer... the answer becomes hazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried 75ish psi on jet+ rims with 23c tires(4000k) and got a rash of pinch flats that week. at 75kg. I don't go lower than 85 any more. the 75psi ride felt nicer and wasn't slower, but who the hell want to stop every other ride to fix a pinch flat??
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I tried 75ish psi on jet+ rims with 23c tires(4000k) and got a rash of pinch flats that week. at 75kg. I don't go lower than 85 any more. the 75psi ride felt nicer and wasn't slower, but who the hell want to stop every other ride to fix a pinch flat??

I'm running tubeless, but I do 55 front and rear with schwalbe pro ones staggered sized 26/28 mounted. I don't have any tube tires that mount up that large, but if I did I'd probably roll around at 65 or 70. I'm normally around 62kgs. And yeah, pinch flats suck.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

Any time I go under 90 psi on my 28mm tires (Conti 4K) I get pinch flats out the wazzoo. I’m 74kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

HED jet plus black / disc combo (25mm width) with Supersonic 20mm front, Supersonic 23mm rear at 75-80psi and latex. I'm 71kg.

Very interesting. It would be interesting to see wind tunnel data of a 20 on those wheels vs 23. If you could preserve the aero performance of those wheels (not exceeding 25mm) with a 23cc tire, would you swap to achieve lower rr, and less impedance losses?

Also interesting is that conti suggests 145-170 for your front. I assume they print their numbers to account for possible high cornering loads (not typically seen in tri). I tend to ignore lower pressure advice as i figure i am both lighter than the typical test rider the numbers are besed on, and i am not cornering hard in a crit race.

Finally, would you consiter (say) gp4000/5000 if they increased your wheel aero performance at yaw? (Smooth tire profiles are not as good at keeping the air flow attached to the wheel). The data seems to be there if you believe people like swissside.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 31, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 80psi with 23c GP4Ks butyl in training so far so good. Will probably stay on the 80 side and ride the race setup a couple of times just to be sure.

jeffp wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Really?

Pretty much. 19cc tires are pretty dead for example. 8 years ago, 23cc was called “wide.” The debate is more about, for a given rider, at what width do gains become offset by losses? Given the multitude of factors at play to generate a “correct” answer... the answer becomes hazy.

I used to roll a 20c supersonic on my Bonty D3 90mm. The guy at the tunnel remarked arrogantly, "that's the wrong size tire for that wheel". When I got done testing he changed his tune to "never run without that wheel". But then I did a Time Trial in April of 2016 that changed my mind on staying narrow. The road was crap in a lot of places so I decided to take my attack 22 on that day. Being able to run lower pressure without fear of damaging my wheel or causing a flat made the ride so silky I was in love. Sold my 20c and ordered a 23 for the front. It measures just under 23mm and yes, I think it's freaking wide. I have to go back and check my notes, but I think I am currently running 90psi in that tire. I had a Zipp Speed SL 27 tubie on a stinger disc, but I really don't recall how much lower I had that guy. Maybe 80?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They measure 25 on the HED Jet plus so aero should be decent and will make up the difference with lower Crr. I'm intrigued about the new gp 5000. Sounds like they're lower Crr and don't balloon too much on wide rims.

Rocket_racing wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

Very interesting. It would be interesting to see wind tunnel data of a 20 on those wheels vs 23. If you could preserve the aero performance of those wheels (not exceeding 25mm) with a 23cc tire, would you swap to achieve lower rr, and less impedance losses?

Also interesting is that conti suggests 145-170 for your front. I assume they print their numbers to account for possible high cornering loads (not typically seen in tri). I tend to ignore lower pressure advice as i figure i am both lighter than the typical test rider the numbers are besed on, and i am not cornering hard in a crit race.

Finally, would you consiter gp4000/5000 if they increased your wheel aero performance at yaw? (Smooth tire profiles are not as good at keeping the air flow attached to the wheel). The data seems to be there if you believe people like swissside.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width vs aero: where do you stand? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Traction, comfort, and because you should not be so damn dogmatic.

Hahah, Fair! But are we talking new dogma? Or old dogma? Many of us are guilty one way or the other.

Traction has not been an issue at those pressure, but i can’t argue with the comfort part. The balance is a risk of pinch flats when the roads get a bit ugly. To optomize rolling resistance, my logic has been to run the maximum pressure that does not compromise my aero wheels (width) or comfort for the route i run.

I should add however, that comfort on a tt bike, vs traditional drop bar crit bike is different.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 31, 18 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

This chart is pretty spot on for me, ymmv

My YouTubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next