Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.)
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden my tri bike much in the last 5ish years. Been mostly riding gravel/MTB.

Tri bike is a 2006 Cervelo Dual with 2010ish era Jet 6/9 clincher wheels, currently with 700x23 Conti GP4000S tires and latex tubes. Not interested in upgrading wheels, and don't know that my frame would fit much wider tires anyway. So, looking for recommendations for new 700x23 clincher tires that are the best balance of speed & puncture resistance (like my current GP4000S were at the time).

Thanks.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Dec 25, 20 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you want to go uber light and fragile for a race day only tire, everyone around here says Conti gp5000 for v good rolling resistance, pretty good puncture resistance.
Only downside if setting up tubeless is they can be tight to get on (as the TL version).

I've 23mm gp5000 (non-tubeless) on my older narrow rims and V happy with them. And used them with last year on an Xtri in absolutely foul conditions without problem (for a 116 mile sample of 1).

On a Mavic Open Pro rim they measure true at 23mm
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental GP5000 clincher.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Continental GP5000 clincher.

^^^^^^This.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP5000 tubeless tires are only available in 25mm or wider.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys. Have no interest in tubeless, so the regular GP5000 in 700x23 with latex tubes sounds like a winner.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep in mind. The GP4000s were fairly wide for their advertised sizes and Continental appears to have corrected that when they came out with the GP5000. So even though you want the equivalent of your old 700x23, when you go to the 5000s, maybe try 700x25
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
So even though you want the equivalent of your old 700x23, when you go to the 5000s, maybe try 700x25

Does anyone have real world width measurements at typical riding pressures for the GP4000S 700x23 and the GP5000 700x25?

Any estimates for how much, if any, slower the wider tires would be on the older Hed Jet C2 rims?

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GP4000 700x23 will measure about 25mm wide on most wheels.

Of course, you could measure it yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been extremely happy with the 700x25 GP5000 TL setup that I have on my bike. Rolling resistance and puncture protection has been more than I could ask for while still being able to provide a smooth ride.
Last edited by: onebikewonder: Dec 26, 20 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

Does anyone have real world width measurements at typical riding pressures for the GP4000S 700x23 and the GP5000 700x25?

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...prix-5000-comparison

This site has width and height measurements of different size GP 5000

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Dec 26, 20 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendation needed. (Haven't been around the last ~5 years.) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
This site has width and height measurements of different size GP 5000

Perfect. Thanks.

They also say the GP4000Sii in 700x23 measure 25mm wide. Assuming my GP4000S are the same (as the GP4000Sii), the 25mm GP5000 should be just fine. I'm glad the above poster pointed the size discrepancy out. I'd much rather go slightly wider than slightly narrower.

Steve

Quote Reply