Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...I can see it being valuable in those situations where there are big differences in terrain and "ideal" pressure could be 20% higher or lower depending on the segment.

SRAM has a much bigger presence in off road and gravel so I think it's safe to assume that while this device can be used for road, it's not the intended audience.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see this being pretty useful for R&D or pro teams. One use case is Roubaix - you identify the pressure you want for the cobbled sections. You can use these wigets to gather data on how much overinflation you need to be at a desired pressure by the time you get there several hours into the race.

For us mortals, especially on the MTB side maybe it's a nice thing to have for dialing in your setup, similar to the ShockWiz. That I see as a really useful tool. I probably wouldn't spend the money on that (or the tire gauges) but a shop down the street rents out the ShockWiz for $40 a weekend. That to me is a great value. Maybe there is a rental market for the tire gauges as well. Who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price is definitely too high. Would be better if it was closer to the form factor of the Garmin product that has existed for years that fits the old schrader valve style, which used ANT.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low pressure warning might be good for safety.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do approximately 150 hours of fatbiking on snow during the winter on mainly unmaintained single track, so I personally could see a use for this for fatbiking!

You're the 1st person to mention fatbiking in this thread, but yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. But I wonder if the resolution and range are adequate for fatbiking. You'd need something like .1 psi resolution at 1-12 psi; the SRAM specs don't address this from what I've seen.

Tire pressure feedback would be awesome to have on the fatbike. I've done races (like this year's WM100) where I nailed the tire pressure and dropped better riders on downhills; conversely there've been times when I flailed and weaker riders rode away. And on any given day the snow is different and pressure needs to be different too.

I try to monitor my tire pressure fairly closely, and even have a 0-15psi Meisner gauge, but having a constant readout on the bars would be really cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse from Quarq here- happy to help answer any questions but given the general theme of this thread so far here are a few things we are hoping to address with TyreWiz-
  1. Quarq believes what is measured can improve. Sure tire pressure isn't rocket science but it does require a large number of variables to be considered.
  2. Given the variables that impact tire pressure and the role it plays in compliance, rolling resistance and safety it only seems logical that we'd have an accurate, dependable and always on means for measuring such an important variable in the equation. Sure we all have our trusty pump in the garage but our testing and my previous experience as a product manager for Bontrager pumps puts more than a shadow of doubt on accuracy. Most external gauges aren't much better.
  3. While detecting slow leaks and changes over time is certainly a benefit of the product we also feel that having an accurate sensor available will lead to new insights about optimal set ups and more importantly confidence that the number that feels right on the road or trail is repeatable no matter what pump or gauge you use.

Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Jesse@Quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse

Thanks for your input. I laughed when I saw this because I’ve been meaning to make something like this for my own evil means for a while now. Needless to say I’m getting one ASAP. This will be really helpful for our aero testing and some other plans.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
STP wrote:
I'm not paying $199 but this would be pretty useful. Think about it, most serious cyclists are (rightly) obsessed with tire pressure but we actually have no accurate data on what pressures we are really using at any given time. You pump up to X but then drop by some unknown amount when you take the pump off. Then, you go out and ride for hours on tires we know lose some pressure over time even if they are not damaged in some way and we often ride in wildly changing temperatures which might affect pressures. Now, those who really care can know what their pressures are over the course of an entire ride and, since the data syncs, among other things it will make analyzing various pressures with performance easier. Some folks will be able to make great use of that data. And then there is the side benefit of knowing your tires are holding air before some critical time like before a high speed decent . . ..

Way too pricey for most but a great little gadget.

An anal cyclist will check their pressure with a quality pump before each ride. A quality pump costs way less than $200, and it actually pumps up your tires too! You don't lose pressure when you take the pump head off the valve unless you have a crappy pump head or a bent valve core. The "hissing" sound you hear is the pressure releasing from the hose of the pump, not coming out of the tube.

Tire pressure doesn't actually change that much during a ride even with regards to temperature over the course of many hours. And even if you did...what are you actually going to do about it. Pull over and crack a CO2 just to add 2 psi? Or bust out a hand pump?

As per my first sarcastic reply...perhaps we should develop a seat post that also acts as a body weight scale. Because we don't have accurate data on how our weight fluctuates mid ride as we sweat, drink, eat, and burn off calories. If you're going to be that meticulous about tire pressure mid ride, then you also need to know exactly how much you weigh at that same point in time.

How much would tire pressure change from say 70 degrees to 95 degrees?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

How much would tire pressure change from say 70 degrees to 95 degrees?

Rule of thumb is about 1 psi for every 10 degrees. For a road/TT bike, that's nothing. For gravel or MTB, it's not much, but it is something. As Josh has explained in the Marginal Gains podcast, a few PSI in a race on cobbles is the difference between the fastest possible setup and two broken rims.

For MTB and Gravel, I think the TyreWiz is somewhat useful. On training rides or preriding a course, you can stop and go as much as you want to inflate with a handpump or deflate until you find the pressure you really like. You can also do this with a portable gauge, if you want to save about $175. I really like my accu-gage, and it reads within about 1psi of my Silca Superpista Digital

On race day, a small puncture is often sealed with a good sealant, but often times some pressure is lost. Maybe I'm not attentive enough, but often times i don't even notice when this happens. I just keep riding. The Epic in Missouri a few weeks ago was an example of this. I set my pressures before the race. In the second half of the race, I felt my rim hit rocks a few times. I told myself that next time i need to start with a couple PSI more. However, after the race I checked my pressures again, and they were about 10 psi lower than when I started. I must have had a small puncture at some point. I was lucky I didn't snake bite my tire and lose all the air, and a lot of time. If I had the tyrewiz, i would have known i was 10 psi down. While riding i could have gotten my CO2 ready, then hopped off my bike, gave it a quick shot of air, and chased back on in almost no time at all.

It's a niche product. If you don't understand why somebody would buy it, then it's probably not for you. For road riding and triathlon, i think it's near pointless. For offroad use, it has a purpose...you just need to justify if the data is worth it to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
For offroad use, it has a purpose...you just need to justify if the data is worth it to you.

Here's the 'post' data. Not valuable.

You can set up a data field on your device to monitor real time psi in both tires. I suppose that may be useful if you're getting jarred around and want to let a little out or add a little in to stop smacking your rims. To me, I would rather have 50 grams of SKS Airchecker (and $175) in my pocket than 20 grams of TyreWiz on my rims. The Wizs were given to me as a gift though, so I use them.

I made a little chart last year of their reading vs. two popular digital hand gauges and a popular analog gauge over a few different pressures on gravel, mountain, and fat tires. The one thing that annoys me the most, is that one of the Wizs seems to be consistently 0.5 psi off of the other based on comparing them two the three gauges. I keep it on the front because that's probably less critical to being lower for gravel. Other than being a talking point at rest stops, their only use is for letting out some air into a gravel ride with a longer paved start. I would not recommend them at $200 or probably even half of that. A handheld works just as well and is easier to use over a range of bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire pressure sensor from SRAM... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a saddle that detects how much you clench your butt cheeks so you can see later how scared you were on that 50 mph descent?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next