Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire patch facing rim
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to patch a tire on the rim side?

Put on new tires just to find a flat one the next day. Don’t know what happened, maybe I pinched it in putting it on, maybe the cat got it when I wasn’t looking.

Anyway tried to patch it. Seemed fine but leaks pretty quick in a couple of hours. Is a hole facing in the rim, about 1mm+ in length two inches from the stem even fixable or do I just suck at patching?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire patch facing rim [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, patching a tube when the hole faces the rim is easily doable. But you obviously have to do a good job patching to avoid having that particular hole leak again.

BUT, that said ...

Even if you do a great patching job, you must try to figure out what caused the hole. Because, since the hole faces the rim, if there is something sharp in your wheel that caused the first hole, without truly solving the issue, the thing that caused the initial hole will repeatedly cause more holes, and more flats.

Does that make sense?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the rim strip.

I've had a misaligned rim strip result in the tube bearing against the edge of a spoke recess with the result that the tube ruptured almost immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire patch facing rim [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yes, patching a tube when the hole faces the rim is easily doable. But you obviously have to do a good job patching to avoid having that particular hole leak again.

BUT, that said ...

Even if you do a great patching job, you must try to figure out what caused the hole. Because, since the hole faces the rim, if there is something sharp in your wheel that caused the first hole, without truly solving the issue, the thing that caused the initial hole will repeatedly cause more holes, and more flats.

Does that make sense?

Checked everything and even rode on it. Nothing. Which lends me to think it was either my half assed tire wrenching or my cat got a poke when I wasn’t paying attention.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using rim tape like velox or Stan’s or a plastic rim strip? I’ve found the rim strips to move around quite a bit during installation of tire and tube. Once you have the tire and tube installed, no air, recheck that the strip is still centered and even on both sides. If these are the same tubes and rims as before, that worked fine, and the failure is on the rim side, it must be the installation. Also, try a new tube, patches can be tricky. One more bit of advice, and I’m only mentioning this because of the failure spot near the valve, always insert tire levers on the opposite side of the valve, you’ll get a little more room.
Last edited by: Litemike: Apr 12, 20 6:36
Quote Reply