Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Suggestions
Quote | Reply
Brain Trust of ST. The clincher tubular debate is not applicable here. We've got tubulars. We need new tires to go with new race wheels. So, we're looking at....

Continental Competitions
Zipp, but not these new ones everyone is talking about
Vittoria Corsa something or another
Something else in the $80-$100 range

Vote for your favorite. I don't want a bunch of votes for some $300 per tire tubular. I'm going to buy 4 of these and unless you are going to buy them for me or give them to me, $300 each is not an option.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Veloflex Carbon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of those 4, Vittoria for sure.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Vittoria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I third Vittoria.

Slowtwitch Planet-X mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this question also and a lot of guys that I ride with love the Conti Sprinter, so thats what I went with.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's heretic on this site because of their allegedly poor rolling resistance, but I've had better luck for flat resistance with Tufo S3 than Vittorias. Any time you gain on rolling resistance will be lost if you have a flat. My son has flatted a new Vittoria at track nationals each of the last two seasons and there is no garbage on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti Comps...a bitch to stretch, but easy to glue, and tough as nails...I wouldn't ride sprinters, but the Competitions are the way to go...I never understand why people will buy $2k wheels and then not pay an extra $20 on tires...Anyway, just my opinion...I have have great experiences with 'em...

J

If it's not fun...don't do it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [triclmbpdl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONTI COMPS!!!

Fast, reliable, and stick to the road like glue. I commuted last winter on a pair - 50 miles a day on english roads and never punctured!

Worth every penny!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy, just to make sure that I am reading your chart correctly, the veloflex carbons are rated the slowest because they produce lower watts at a given air pressure or are they the fastest because it takes less watts at a certain air pressure? Not that it matters at my pace but just checking.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [MTMTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My interpretation has been that Veloflex carbon has the lowest rolling resistance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always found the Continentals to be very smooth and less prone to flats. Maybe I am biased but my Vittorias last year werre not the smoothest and I flatted twice at Oliver. I went with the Continentals as I liked the feel, they gripped well, and I've yet to flat on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am racing the Continental Podiums (great, round, light and reliable tire) and if I needed to change them would go for Vittoria's!

Marcos.

http://www.marcosapenedoamaral.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So based upon that info the continental podiums are slower than the continental Competitions? I would think that the podiums would be faster considering the smooth tread and narrower tire? I was going to thank you for the chart but now I think that you are just trying to confuse me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflex carbons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria has the best Crr of your choices but their puncture resistance is not great and they tend to have a shorter thread life. Conti Comps are the best all round tubs, but get the 06 version if you're going to get them. From 06, they made some changes to the design to improve grip and Crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is Crr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coefficient of rolling resistance.

edit: erm, how did you interpret the table above without knowing Crr = coeff. of rolling resistance?

Anyway the competitions and podiums are very similar in rolling resistance, but the competitions are more durable. My podiums were at the end of their lifespan after about 2-3000 km but my comps have normally lasted about 7-10,000km.
Last edited by: footwerx: Jan 12, 07 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the conti competitions and was impressed with the 2006 versions with the added Vectran. You can get those for $65 each at biketiresdirect.com, or if you want to save even more money they have the 2005 versions for $43. Tough to beat those prices!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Suggestions [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just reading the column that says rolling performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I'll keep watching the replies if they keep coming. About as I expected with a pretty good split between Conti and Vittoria. I'll have to check into the Veloflex carbons.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply