Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tinea versicolor or Vitiligo
Quote | Reply
I went to the dermatologist because of a white splotch on my cheek and he said it was vitiligo. I was hoping it was tinea versicolor and that I could treat it with anti-fungal stuff. He said he could tell because mine was smooth instead of scaly. Is that always the case or could he be wrong? It's the peak of the summer and I was re-using towels and such, which makes conditions really favorable for tinea. Just thought I'd ask the biggest brains I know.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tinea versicolor or Vitiligo [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can always look under a Wood's lamp (blacklight) - tinea versicolor will have a bluish glow and vitiligo will not.
Or, just treat with a topical antifungal or even one of the more milder selenium shampoos. Just a few days and it will usually resolve.

If it doesn't, either live with it (vitiligo) or get a scraping/biopsy to look for fungal hyphae on KOH prep or PAS stain.

Last edited by: rroof: Aug 6, 12 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband has tinea versicolor, and it's always smooth, and not scaly or scabby or flaky. And it's definitely not vitiligo.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tinea versicolor or Vitiligo [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the black light test and it was blue-white. Hoping that it's not vitiligo. Glad to hear that it can be smooth. Going to see if I can knock this out!

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had tinea for years (anyone want to explain why!?). Anyway, when I get it I just get dandruff shampoo with selenium sulfide as an active ingredient and use it regularly, letting it sit while I shave in the shower....usually gets it under control fairly quickly. I get it on my shoulders, down my back, and behind my knees...and it itches, now!

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure you have the diagnostic correct first. The Wood's light usually is quite telling. Vitiligo will be bright white.
TV will be blueish. I get TV every so often (typically at the end of the summer, and some antifungal stuff takes care of
it very fast). Viti is (probably) autoimmune, and difficult to treat, so step 1 is to confirm the diagnosis. Given the lamp
test, I'd seek a second opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinea versicolor or Vitiligo [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I can tell, it's a yeast infection in the skin, kind of like jock itch. Heat and moisture make it act up. Reusing damp towels, too. Read one place that it can be caused by excessive sugar in the diet and a diet change can help, but I don't think that's all cases.

I started biking at lunch, using my towel that had been sitting in my car from swim practice earlier as handlebar padding so I could get aero. And I have a high tolerance for what's really "dirty", so I bet I had a rockin' breeding ground going on. Anyway, this popped up on my face after I started doing that. And I bet my helmet straps could use a good scrubbing, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dealt with both... well, that's what the docs said. I was told to use: a fungal cream, some prescription stuff and then finally a steroid. None of them worked.

I tried tea tree oil and that worked. It really smells but was effective after a week or so.

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That made me laugh...perhaps a bit of a "look in the mirror" (pardon the pun), for me!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply