Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timing system
Quote | Reply
I am part of a triathlon club that uses the 'Winning Time' (WT) timing system for races. The system is probably 6-10 years old.

There is a problem of dropped times (i.e., the chip does not register as a mat is crossed) and compiling the results takes quite a bit of brute-force excel work.

Does anyone have experience with this timing system that might have some suggestions on how to increase the accuracy of timing as well as processing data to yield results?

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Re: Timing system [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d suggest asking in the Timers Talk Facebook group, lots of really good timing professionals in there

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does it used an active rfid chip? On those systems the battery can die on the individual chips over time. On the passive systems, factors like the orientation of the chip or the chip sticking to wet clothing can compromise the read rate. Also the electrical connectors may be all corroded, so perhaps clean those up. You system may allow for the addition of a second mat or roadside antenna, which might be an option. I'd start with the cheapest solutions and work your way up
Quote Reply
Re: Timing system [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ... I didn't know about that group.

I've put in a request to join.
Quote Reply
Re: Timing system [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - it's a passive system (chips on the ankles).

I'll see if there are other options for antennae or newer mats.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the chips throwaways or do you collect them after the event? If you own the chips you could go back to your file and get the code off the chips that are misreading and test them out on the system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We let them keep the chip ... Before the race, I’ve started having them walk across a mat and sometimes they have to walk over twice. But it’s not always the same chip that is having a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you could borrow a meter and see what is going on at the mat?

https://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?9557

also, take a look at this one

https://www.rfidjournal.com/.../experts/entry?10937
Last edited by: jroden: Jun 2, 19 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I suspect this might be part of the problem. In the manual, there is a statement about 'tuning' the system to maximize detecting the chip. But there are no instructions for how to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes check out that the group on Facebook they can help you understand how to work with that system.
Quote Reply