Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timing of FTP test before race?
Quote | Reply
First time racing an Ironman with power, when should I do my last FTP test before the race? I was thinking weekend before, but is that too late/too early? Will it mess up or be messed up by my taper?
Quote Reply
Re: Timing of FTP test before race? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your FTP is supposed to be the benchmark for your long term training plan. I don't think doing anything special (like a specific FTP taper) does you any good in that your training would be calibrated on a one off result.

But that wasn't your question was it? I don't have any IM experience but my intuition is that it would not be doing you any favors so close to race day. You probably already know at what level you can perform, just go with that for now and do an FTP test in the middle of your next training block.

Good luck with the race!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have googled before posting, but let me explain my thinking. I was thinking that maybe my FTP had gone up over the last 6 or so weeks and I needed to “reset” my number for the race, but maybe that thinking is off. Thoughts? Should I just use the number I’ve been using for my training all along?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To maximize your FTP 7-10d before the race.

But on the whole this is the wrong question to ask. Very, very, very wrong

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't let an FTP test figure dictate your race.
Especially if the FTP test will effect your race readiness.
Forget the test. If you think you need the test in order to race then it's certain you won't be able to make effective use of the FTP figure. Your training performances should inform your pacing decisions, not a calculation based on a 20 minute or 1hr test. Different people will be able to maintain different percentages of FTP so the figure itself is not that critical unless you have a lot more experience and data to apply with it.
If you don't already know what power level is appropriate for you, race on feel and just beware overdoing it, especially early in the bike leg. If you want a numeric target, base it on your training, pick a power level you're confident you can maintain for the duration of the race distance without being utterly spent at the end, and tweak it a little based on feel. Obviously you'll also want to adjust this to cater for the terrain anyway. You're not going to sit at a fixed number the whole time anyway unless the route is completely flat and wind free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do a sprint or olympic distance race 4 to 6 weeks out and see how you ride and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your premise is that you can define target power for Ironman from an FTP test. It's a dodgy premise. Your FTP can be informative but you need to verify your target power through real world testing over similar distances, and making sure you can still do a run off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Timing of FTP test before race? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

my coach definitely assigns some workouts to me weeks in advance for IM to dial in my power target for my race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't buy into FTP in my training or racing at all but each to their own. I did early in my Ironman career and FTP prediction for your race power is fraught with danger. Based on the predictions my FTP is too high for what I could withstand for an IM. You are saying it is your first IM with power so I can assume you have raced IMs before without power? I would be looking at the good races you had and any heart rate data you have and then be mixing that with perceived effort. If you believe you went too hard in the past back it of slightly and vice versa as you feel on the day. After a race with power you will get an idea your power but even then I have a window I like to be in and go to the upper and lower end of that based on feel for that race. It has taken me many seasons of IMs to work out what is a good constant power for me to put out a solid bike and back it up with running legs.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 8, 19 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
...let me explain my thinking. I was thinking that maybe my FTP had gone up over the last 6 or so weeks and I needed to “reset” my number for the race,...

The best thing you could do is look at all your data from rides +/- 30 min of your expected duration within the last 6 weeks or so. See what your avg power is for those each rides. That's a good starting point for what you can target in the race.

To choose a # based off FTP and if you've not ridden around that number for the expected duration, what makes you think you can hit that number in the race AND still run well?

Now to maximize fitness a FTP test 7-10d before the race isn't a bad idea. To use that to determine what you're going to ride when you've got all this other data makes no sense

I think that's a decent summary of what others have said as well

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply