Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timing of Bike Fit
Quote | Reply
Last spring I purchased a Yaqui Mariola from Ves Mandaric. I trained and raced on it throughout the summer, but I'm not 100% convinced that I've found my optimal position on the bike.

My off-season riding is spent alternating between a Schwinn spinner bike and a fixed-gear road bike (weather permitting). I typically don't touch the tri bike until mid- to late-spring. Question: is it better to have a fitting done now (i.e., during the off season) or should I wait until I am riding the Yaqui on a regular basis and then get fitted?

Thanks,
Michael Bey
Quote Reply
Re: Timing of Bike Fit [Michael Bey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Your best position will change as your fitness and adaptation to the general tri position changes. You should wait for position refinement fitting until you're adapted to the position a little later in the year. At least I'm assuming you're looking for refinement, not gross fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Timing of Bike Fit [Michael Bey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a specificity of training issue here. One thing that can mess up your ability to sit on the bike may be all the changing from bike to bike (fixed gear, spinner bike, etc.) Your Yaqui may fit you perfectly, but you may not be entirely adapted to fitting IT. I know that sounds like an oxymoron- as the bike should be optimized for the rider and not vice-versa, but switching from many types of positions that are widely different may be creating some of these issues. I would stick to riding your Yaqui and only your Yaqui if that is what you are going to race on.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Timing of Bike Fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, we shouldn't be training on a 73 road bike most of the time and on our 78 1-2 per week? What having fun on our mountain bikes? Or is it just a fine line?
Quote Reply