Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time to adapt to Nike Vaporfly 4% comming from Salming low drop shoe?
Quote | Reply
Used Nike Vaporfly 4% in my last IM. Some friends have told me that they used the shoe for the first time in a race and they felt fantastic and faster with them since the first time, so I went with the same approach here (used the 4% for the first time in the IM race).
As it's a very expensive shoe with no more than 100 miles of durability, thought it made more sense to use it as racing shoe only.

Did a conservative IM ride, and the IM marathon felt very good only for the first third of it, after that my legs felt so sore that I could only walk for the remaining 2/3's of the run. This haven't happened in any of my IMs.

My preparation and race execution was the same or even better compared to previous IM events where I've had good runs.

Does the Vaporfly 4% shoes require time to adapt? If yes, I assume it changes by individuals, any estimate how long it could take? As I have mentioned above, some friends have told me they used it for the first time in a race and they didn't had any issues with it.
Could the difference be because I did my training in Salming low drop shoes, that adaptation is required? maybe due to change in running dynamics?

Also, do you think if I continue to train in the Nike Zoom Fly it is a good adaptation to race in the 4%? If I feel comfortable training in the Zoom Fly's there shouldn't be issues racing in the 4%'s?
Other less expensive shoes that could make me adapt to the 4%s?
Quote Reply
Re: Time to adapt to Nike Vaporfly 4% comming from Salming low drop shoe? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going from a low drop to a high drop shoe usually takes less, way, way, way less time to adapt than going from high to low

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Time to adapt to Nike Vaporfly 4% comming from Salming low drop shoe? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For trianing, I've found the Pegasus Turbo to be the shoe most similar to VF 4%. You can find them on Eastbay for about $120 USD on sale.

DD is spot on.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Time to adapt to Nike Vaporfly 4% comming from Salming low drop shoe? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:
For trianing, I've found the Pegasus Turbo to be the shoe most similar to VF 4%. You can find them on Eastbay for about $120 USD on sale.

DD is spot on.

Really? You think the Turbo is more similar than the Zoom Fly? I find the Turbo to feel very different. Less spring and lower to the ground. The Zoom Fly feels more similar to me, it lasts longer than the turbo, and it's cheaper.

I do find the 4% takes a few runs to adapt, mainly due to the instability and a bit because they get me to use my calves more (maybe because of faster pace). Typically I add them to the shoe rotation 2 weeks before a race and that's enough. Couple of short runs and one long run.

I'm around 195 lbs and they feel good for at least 150 miles, imo. Unless you're significantly heavier, you should be able to get more than 100 miles out of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are fast. But perhaps going 6:37 pace for the first 5.3 miles (according to the tracker) was a bit too fast and a potential contributor? That would equate to a 2:53 marathon

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Time to adapt to Nike Vaporfly 4% comming from Salming low drop shoe? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hehe, surprised you know what IM race I was refering to :) . Was pacing based on HR for the run, in the same range I had trained for. In my first IMs when I've had over paced the first part of the marathon, I could still continue to run, slow, but still running.
This time, after the first third of the marathon I could no longer run even one stride due to how sore the legs were.
Also strange is that this time I backed it off in the bike to have more fresh legs for the run, legs felt very good at end of the bike.

But yeah, that could be another factor. Just surprised as this haven't happened before to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
hehe, surprised you know what IM race I was refering to :) . Was pacing based on HR for the run, in the same range I had trained for. In my first IMs when I've had over paced the first part of the marathon, I could still continue to run, slow, but still running.
This time, after the first third of the marathon I could no longer run even one stride due to how sore the legs were.
Also strange is that this time I backed it off in the bike to have more fresh legs for the run, legs felt very good at end of the bike.

But yeah, that could be another factor. Just surprised as this haven't happened before to me.

While I do have some twitchhunt skills, I actually perchanced upon you while reviewing results because I have this race on my plan next year and I am also M35-39 and your ST handle didn't leave much to imagination.

I would only add that I am fairly sure the zoom fly is meant to be the next step down from the 4%, which is why there is a zoom fly 3 coming out with the same upper as the Next%. Of course, that's the intention, people who have tried both that and the pegasus may feel differently. Either way, I would probably agree that training in one of those shoes then racing in 4% is probably best and I'd bet that it isn't related to the drop as much as it is the lack of stability and softness in those shoes.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply