Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time for a new bike and need some opinions
Quote | Reply
It’s time for a new bike and I need a little help. I’ve been doing triathlons and duathlons for the past 3 years on a standard road bike with pretty good results. Now I’m ready to step it up a notch and buy a new bike and I’ve been considering something with a steeper set tube angle. Here’s my question I prefer sprint too ½ IM distance races with technical/hilly bike courses meaning the tougher the better, should I stay with a standard geometry or go with a 76 deg or even a 78 deg? I’ve heard if the bike is to steep it doesn’t handle as well on technical courses. I also prefer a compact style frame I’ve found them easier for fast dismounts and 700c wheels. I’m 5’9”

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new bike and need some opinions [Jason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you gave a lot of information, but it isn't nearly enough. Yes, some people have a harder time climbing on a steeper frame...until they practice climbing on the steep frame. I always THOUGHT I didn't climb well on a steep frame because I didn't FEEL as powerful as when on a standard 73 degree bike. As it turns out, I'm actually faster on a steeper frame according to the clock. Although I DO ride a 76 degree frame faster than a 78 on hills, I ride a 76 faster on the flats, too...I guess it's due to my geometry and physiology. So the real answer is...it depends upon you, and maybe depends upon how you practice. Go to a VERY experienced fitter that knows more than just geometry, and maybe you'll get it right the first time.

As far as a steep bike not handling well in technical courses...it depends on what else has been changed in the frame geometry/components. If you take a road bike and simply steepen the tube (this is easily done with a forward mounted seat on a forward tilted seatpost), sure, I'll venture to say it won't handle well, because you have too much weight on the front. However, if you have a well-designed steeper geometry bike, it may handle the "technical" courses just fine.

As far as a compact frame being easier to dismount? This doesn't make sense to me unless you are pulling your dismount foot forward over the top tube (like a woman wearing a dress in the olden days) rather than backwards over the saddle. If you are doing the forward thing...I suggest learning the "right" way. I've seen too many people drop the whole shebang in the transition as their foot doesn't clear the top tube, this sets up a wiggle which is dangerous enough, and/or they simply get off balance (especially easy when tired and braking in a race situation) and WHAM. The worst thing is when they interfere with another racer with their mistake.

So, like I said, I know you gave a good deal of information about what you are looking for, but, you've only scratched the surface about what will be required to really make a good determination of what is right for you. Good luck...a well fitting tri-bike should increase your enjoyment of the sport.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you planning on selling the road bike and getting only one bike? If so, sounds like a Cervelo Soloist might be what the doc ordered. Compact frame, 700 wheels, aero tubing and can be rode quite well both road and multi-sport position. Much more versatile than a pure tri bike.

If you're keeping the road bike then have a look at the Cervelo Dual or P2K, depending on your budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new bike and need some opinions [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to take that “Like a women". I've practiced dismounting both ways leg over the back and leg over the top tube. Leg over the top tube seeing that the frame is compact the tube in much lower then your standard frame which makes it easy to dismount from the front. I find that my dismounts are much smoother and faster like an endless motion than if I were to throw my leg over the back and around. I guess it's just personal thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least you didn't take it as an offensive comment, and it wasn't meant to be offensive. The correct, and fast, way to step off the pedal is for your rearward foot to hit the ground first as you do a running dismount. Since the first landing foot has to be behind your pedal foot, it makes sense to bring it from behind to begin with. Plus, I'll bet you have MUCH better bike handling control with the over-the-saddle-approach. "Better bike control" is why I say the over the saddle approach is the correct dismount. I'm sure you'll find some pros that do the "girls" dismount. It doesn't make it correct, though. My opinion.

One more thing, if you are keeping your road bike, you might be able to err on the side of steeper on your Tri-bike...that way, you can ride your road bike on the most mountainous of races, and your steep bike on the others. But, if you get a properly fit steep bike, you may find it does well on all terrain. Mine does.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new bike and need some opinions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another bike you might look into if you are looking for one all-round bike is the Airborne Spectre. That is what I am riding now and have been very happy with it, switching over from a Cannondale road frame. Seat tube angle is about 75 deg., so you can switch from road to tri position with adjustment on the seat position. Airborne is selling out their '03 stock right now for $699, frame only. The fairings on the headtube and seat tube do look a little funky, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are considering an all-around bike that will handle well in the aero bars and climb like mad, look at the Yaqui DL geometry. You won't regret it. Seat angle on mine is 74.5
Quote Reply
Re: Time for a new bike and need some opinions [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you don't really need a sloping toptube, but rather a low toptube. Whether it is horizontal or at a slope, as long as there is room for your leg to go over you're fine. Lucky you, any good tri bike has a lowered toptube giving you the same result as a sloping toptube would on a road bike. Just compare standover heights between your current bike and the bikes you are considering to figure this particular issue out. And of course, figure all the other issues out as well, standover alone obviously does not a correctly fitted bike make.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply