Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL
Quote | Reply
Okay -- I thought I had picked a bike, but I'm having last-minute analysis paralysis. I'd appreciate opinions.

Firstly, here are the "starting point" coordinates from my well-respected, ST-approved fitter.
Stack: 630mm (maybe slightly higher)
Reach (to arm pad): 500 mm
Seat height with 165 cm cranks: 763 mm
Pad width 260mm
Arm Pad Drop -3 cm Will most likely be lower with the shorter cranks, a conservative starting point.

Here are the bikes I'm debating between, and my pros/cons in order of priority:

• BMC TimeMachine 01 One or Three (size ML w/ V cockpit, stack: 615-665, reach: 400-563)

• Fit: Seems to be the best on paper, but also the most adjustable
    • Pros: Fit, easy to travel with (handlebars completely removable), brake booster technology, very good aero data; Model "Three" available now; Dealer network if I need parts/repairs
    • Cons: Wheel-lockup recall issue (worried if my tire/wheel combo will fit, and just anxiety provoking), kind of ugly (especially V-cockpit); Model "One" (comes with wheels I want) not available until late-Sept but model "Three" immediately available
  • Canyon Speedmax SLX 9.0 SL (size M, stack: 532-650, reach: 432-536)

• Fit: I'm near the high-end of stack range, reach perfect
    • Pros: Looks sexy, comes with Zipp 858/454 wheels I'd keep, so no hassle of selling/buying new wheels; amazing reviews everywhere
    • Cons: Stem not removable which is a PITA in travel and requires one of those bulky cases (I do 1-2 travel races per year); I've never used BTA hydration and am worried I won't like it and it's so integrated into bike; replacement parts availability reportedly not so great; no dealer network and my shop gives me a sideways glance when I bring in my Canyon Ultimate; the affordable $6.5K version is sold out until Nov/impossible to get, but the $10K superbike is available (but do I need it?)
  • Canyon Speedmax SL 8.0 Di2 (size M, stack 605-692, reach: 467-492)

• Fit: Near bottom of stack range, so not much room to go lower if I get more flexible; need a 1cm longer stem to make reach work, which Canyon said they'd include for free
    • Pros: Not a super-integrated super-bike so easier to life with and travel with; standard stem so can use aftermarket options if I want; half the price of above leaves budget for a new MTB (price not deciding factor, but it's hard to ignore here)
    • Cons: Questionable fit on paper (but I could always return/exchange if it doesn't fit, and Cayon rep said I'm within the suggested spec) Not a super bike (will I feel like I'm "settling"), only the "Woman's" version is immediately available (everything exactly the same except wheels (which I'd sell) and color (which I kind of actually like better, but would it bother me that it's a "girl" bike)

While I theory the lead-time on some of these bikes shouldn't matter, I'd kind of like to race it at IM 70.3 Indian Wells Dec 9th, so the sooner I get the bike the better.

Other facts about me:
5'11", 155 lb, mediocre cyclist (3.2 watt/kg), focus for next couple years will be HIM and Olympic distance to get faster before returning to full IM when I can confidently go <11hrs (and baby(s) is/are out of diapers)
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 2019 BMC TM01Three from RA Cycles, these are shipping with the new fork.
The only pain in the ass is waiting on the flat bar set up if you need that.
I had a 2016 TM01 and crashed it, BMC sent me a MS because thats all they had for the 2016 model, they offered a huge rebate as well for the newer model which is why i jumped on it. Im 6'1 on a good day and was fit to a Large with a flat cockpit.
The reach was off with a ML and the bar pad configuration just didn't fit right, much to narrow.
If you're getting the TM01 Three the only difference between the '18 and '19 is the wheels and a $2000 saving.
I was looking at a Canyon as a replacement, the thing that turned me off to them is dealer direct and if i had a warranty issue I would have to deal with them, instead of an authorized retailer.
Last edited by: mike s: Aug 23, 18 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike -- Very helpful feedback. Any chance you can measure the width of the pads? I'd assume MS/ML are the same? I've heard the TM01 pads run narrow with few ways to make it wider. I'm only 5'11"/155lb but broad shouldered swimmer build. My fitter says pads need to be 260mm apart based on shoulder flexibility. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a picture of the bars with the pads using the shortest spacer slammed. If you raise the pads they get wider as well as the reach increases. Something to consider. That’s the reason I needed to go with the Flat bar setup, the stack and reach just didn’t mesh with the ML. Our stack and reach are similar 625/515. I have the excel BMC sizing that shows all configurations for each size with each aerobar setup. PM if interested.

Last edited by: mike s: Aug 23, 18 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't -3cm seem like a very small amount of pad drop?
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other opinions here. I'm really struggling with my decision?

Spooked by the TM01 recall issue, I purchased both a Speedmax SLX and CF and took to my fitter. I was able to get both bikes to fit but preferred the much cleaner setup of the SLX. The SLX is impressively adjustable. The problem is the flat basebars are very low. Apparently Canyon also makes a V-type cockpit that raises grips of basebars, but Canyon Germany is refusing to ship it to me (or my friend in Germany to forward to me, which is absolutely ridiculous). I love the look of the bikes, but working directly with them is damn annoying.

I'm basically comparing the top-of-the-line SLX 9 SL (Dura Ace Di2 with 858/454 NSW wheels, which seem kinda gimmicy honestly) with the TM01-One (Dura Ace Di2 with 808/404 NSW), which are the same price.
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 5, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger on a Canyon last night. There were 3 bikes in the running. Trek Speed Concept, BMC TimeMachine 01 Three and the Canyon CF SLX 8.

I eventually binned the BMC because the fit information was impossible to find and decipher. They don't give stack or reach in their geometry, much less pad stack and pad reach. I finally worked out that I'd have needed the flat cockpit but I couldn't confirm price or availability for it, so bye bye BMC. Too hard.

The Trek wasn't as clear cut. I very nearly went for it given the local dealer support network. I would have gone for a custom colour project one with Ultegra di2, draft box and speed box, so by the time I added them all up is was over $1000 AUD more than a Canyon. I have a fairly local Trek dealer who was offering 10% off new bikes as part of a deal with my state Triathlon federation, but they refused to honour the deal saying that it included every brand and model they sell, except project one Treks. That pissed me off, so in the end I went with Canyon.

It helped that my fitter said the cockpit would work better for me and travelling with the Canyon is simpler. I almost went back to Trek when i discovered the extra 3% international credit card transaction fee. Despite being billed in AUD, you pay head office in Germany so it's classed as international. I was not happy about that. How hard is it to process local credit card transactions?!

There was one other bike in the running, but it got removed fairly early on due to price and that was the Premier Tactical. A combination of exchange rate, import duty, credit card fees and GST put it about $2500 - $3000 AUD more than the Canyon. Paying US GST on the bike and then paying another lot of Australian GST when you import it doesn't seem right to me. If i buy from the UK for delivery outside the EU, then I don't pay UK VAT, just the Aus GST. Trump's fault no doubt.

Very pissed about this whole international exchange rate and transaction fee business. It makes it very hard to figure out exactly what you're going to pay.

So there you go.
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the purchase man. I also pulled the trigger on the Speedmax. I actually ordered both the SL and an SLX to see which fit better. It was a draw. Went for a short test ride on a familiar route of both bikes back to back. As luck would have it, wattage was +/- 1 watt. SLX was nearly 2 mph faster. pI'll be keeping the SLX. It's a really really nice bike.

I am second guessing myself a little bit though, hence this post.

Also trying to decide if I want to keep the Zipp NSWs or sell them for a whole arsenal of HED Jets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man - you guys are scaring me on the TM01-Three. I ordered one from my LBS a few weeks ago and am waiting for it to ship. I was fit to a ML at 6'0". But I also have pretty broad shoulders. Worried that the arm pads are going to be waaaay too narrow. At proper stack to get the width I'm going to guess that I'm going to be way too for forward. Hopefully getting the saddle pushed forward will help. Sucks to not see these bikes in person first. Taking a $7k flyer on a bike is a scary proposition.
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall are you? 6 feet?

For example, Maurice Clavel who just won 70.3 vichy is also 6 feet and uses the BMC TM ML. He looks like broad shoulder guy when on the aero position but still works, so you might be ok.

Im considering going for the BMC TM 01 Disc but concerned about fitting and the V shaped cockpit vs flat cockpit...

Im 166cm with narrowish shoulders...

Was thinking on a MS.
Last edited by: ARA18: Sep 6, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny thing is that BMC promotes it as having a ton of fit variability. So I was thinking it would work well for me. We'll see when it arrives. I guess if I need to swap to a flat cock pit then so be it. Although it's a shame because that V cockpit will have zero resale value. Unless BMC will take it back on a trade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pls update and pics when possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don’t do any trade in or such, I just received mine a week ago. All you’ll get is the base bar, stem, risers, and screws. Hope you didn’t have to pay $595 for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are the fit charts from BMC direct that posted screenshots of...if you want the file PM me your email
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...1_P6581395/#p6581395
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, what are the wheels that come with the 2019 TM01 Three models, can't see a reason why there is a 2000K price drop between 2018/2017 and 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come with Mavic Comete Pro Elalith. Kinda like HED Blacks. That’s the only difference besides the fork. Probably getting their return on molds, design, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
They don’t do any trade in or such, I just received mine a week ago. All you’ll get is the base bar, stem, risers, and screws. Hope you didn’t have to pay $595 for it.

Not sure if this was directed to me. I haven't decided to go flat yet. Going to wait and see how the v-bar fits. What are you going to do with your stock cockpit now that you got the flat base bar? Did you have to pay for the flat bar separately?
Quote Reply
Re: TimeMachine 01 vs Speedmax SLX/SL [Zakalunce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zakalunce wrote:
Just curious, what are the wheels that come with the 2019 TM01 Three models, can't see a reason why there is a 2000K price drop between 2018/2017 and 2019.

I'm happy to take advantage. You get the newer Ultergra Di2 still. Pick up a super bike for $7k is fine by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not doing anything with the V setup, nothing really to do with it unfortunately. I did pay for the bars, $395..don’t pay higher, that’s the previous years prices. If you run into a hiccup if you decide to get them hit me up, I’ll set you up with a seller.
Quote Reply