Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Timberman ish 70.3 back?
Quote | Reply
The local paper in the Lakes region of NH reported this, it looks like a slightly different course than the original Timberman.

LACONIA — The City Council is expected to take up later this month a request that the city be the host site for the finale of a triathlon this summer, and could at that time make a decision whether to enter an agreement with the event’s organizers.
At Monday’s council meeting the board reviewed a prospectus put together by the Ironman Group which operates the Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Series, and some councilors questioned what services the city might be expected to provide.
Those services included police and emergency medical services, use of city-owned facilities, and hotel rooms, for the event which has been tentatively scheduled for the weekend of Aug. 21-22.
The ability to hold the event would depend on the status of the coronavirus pandemic and the level of COVID restrictions that might still be in force at the time.
Audra Tassone-Indeck, a regional director for the Ironman Group, acknowledged the prospectus contained “a lot of asks,” but she told the councilors a host city can pick and choose what services they are willing to provide.
Councilors voiced concerns over what the costs to the city would be.
“It would be tough for Laconia to come up with this,” said Councilor Bob Hamel. “I need to see something very specific. It’s going to be a lean budget as it is,” he continued. “ I don’t see how we can come up with this,” he said referring to the services enumerated in the organization’s list of particulars.
Tassone-Indect told the council that the more comprehensive list of services was intended for larger host communities. Some localities contribute $10,000, she said, while others contribute up to $1 million.
Mayor Andrew Hosmer agreed that details need to be worked out. He said he hoped Tassone-Indeck and city officials could hammer out specifics this week and that the council would be ready to vote on the proposal at its next scheduled meeting on Jan. 25.
The event would begin in Gilford, go to Loudon, and end in Laconia, with the finish line at Opechee Park.
When the idea of bringing the triathlon back to the area was first presented to the council in December, City Manager Scott Myers said the event would be a “huge economic draw” for the city. He further said the planning would include exploring the possibility of public-private partnerships that could help defray the costs of traffic control, police and EMS services “so the whole burden would not fall on the taxpayers.”
The area hosted its first triathlon in 2001. The event continued to be held every year until 2017, when Ironman Triathlon moved the event to Old Orchard Beach, Maine. That triathlon already has a full roster of competitors for this year, and Tassone-Indeck said because of that she expects an Ironman event in the Lakes Region could attract upward of 2,000 competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
covid situation would make it difficult this year I imagine, but would be awesome if they bring back timberman, it was such a great race
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see that happen. It would also line up really well for me time wise in the season.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!!!! Bring back Timberman!
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, post covid I would love to do this race, love New England.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to anything showing the proposed course? How far is the new start/finish from the old Ellacoya State Park? One great thing about Timberman was that long, awesome straight stretch on the bike. Hope they keep that.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 18, 21 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be so happy if this happened, was bummed to see Timberman go. This would be an every year event for me for sure.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall that Rev3 signed a five year contract with OOB in Maine. IM assumed that contract when they bought out Rev3. That might be expiring after this year, so perhaps this is the classic WTC move of lining up a geographic transition plan.

The Maine race gets a great turnout, so hopefully there are two races in Northern New England.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know the irony is that Timberman was one of the highest attended 70.3s in the country when they canceled it. It made no sense to me then or now. The vibe I got was that local politics somehow played a role but I still don't understand what exactly happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
You know the irony is that Timberman was one of the highest attended 70.3s in the country when they canceled it. It made no sense to me then or now. The vibe I got was that local politics somehow played a role but I still don't understand what exactly happened.
Partially local politics, in conjunction with those politicians being bent by the whims of the of the out-of-state lake-front owners. At least, that's what I hear (I live a half an hour south, I know some people who know others, but I don't know the exact veracity of what I've been told - so take it with a grain of salt).

Is it specifically the Gilford/Laconia area you enjoy racing in, or NH? (And not specifically to you, but anyone who misses Timberman.) Because there are other 70.3 distance races here in NH, and I would dare say they'd be a more enjoyable race, due to location, venue, people, albeit smaller races. Just something to keep in mind.

And I would also love to see Timberman come back - the more racing the better, in my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for me, Timberman was the right time of year, a great swim, a fantastic bike and a tough but manageable run. Plus if you know the logistics (as I did) you can have a totally low stress, local race.

Also it was my my first ever 70.3, back when Keith Jordan was running it

And I know the area well, having run the Lake Winnpesaukee Relay many times.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 18, 21 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Do you have a link to anything showing the proposed course? How far is the new start/finish from the old Ellacoya State Park? One great thing about Timberman was that long, awesome straight stretch on the bike. Hope they keep that.

It sounds like right now Ironman is just trying to get local permits. All I know is what was in the article. Based on that description it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Ellacoya State park is a hike to Opechee park in the town of Laconia, and the logistics seem like they would be tough. The better thing to do would do the whole race from Opechee park as it has a nice water access point and other tris have been run from there. You could still link up to parts of the old bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always assumed the race got cancelled because the area just didn’t need it—mid August is peak tourism season in that area.

Now, in a second Summer affected by Covid, maybe the local mindset has shifted—more outsiders, the better.

I’m sure it also helps that the days of two NASCAR sell-outs in Laconia are over.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I’m sure it also helps that the days of two NASCAR sell-outs in Laconia are over.

Why are they over? Are you talking about covid? Because that is temporary and would also keep out triathletes, no? Or are you talking about something else?
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 19, 21 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Why are they over? Are you talking about covid? Because that is temporary and would also keep out triathletes, no? Or are you talking about something else?

Probably because NASCAR's popularity has plummeted over the last two decades.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/812572/daytona-500-tv-viewers/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nascar moved one of the races to another location. The last I knew the track was trying to host a music festival to replace the fall race.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Is it specifically the Gilford/Laconia area you enjoy racing in, or NH? (And not specifically to you, but anyone who misses Timberman.) Because there are other 70.3 distance races here in NH, and I would dare say they'd be a more enjoyable race, due to location, venue, people, albeit smaller races. Just something to keep in mind.

NH has relatively few triathlons given how many good venues it has, and pretty much all of them are early or late in the season. July and August are almost devoid of races. But yeah, if it had a full calendar of White Mountain Tri and Lake Sunnappee Tri type events, bringing Timberman back would seem less awesome.

On an unrelated topic, I wonder if them trying to put this event on means they know/suspect Maine 70.3 will be canceled or heavily limited in terms of participants. I think they could probably successfully do both races, but on back to back weekends? That's a bit much.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
jkstevens wrote:

NH has relatively few triathlons given how many good venues it has, and pretty much all of them are early or late in the season. July and August are almost devoid of races. But yeah, if it had a full calendar of White Mountain Tri and Lake Sunnappee Tri type events, bringing Timberman back would seem less awesome.
Agreed, not a lot happens in July/early August. But May and June, then end of August through early October the slate is pretty good.

If Timberman comes back sometime toward the end of July, that would put 3 halfs in a relatively short time period: WMT is end of June and the new last year Live Free and Tri - https://livefreeandtri.com/ - at the end of August. Hopefully not over-saturating the market.

I prefer the smaller races, but I do appreciate choices for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be amazing if it happens. I wonder if they are discussing a different finish line because they are trying to turn this into one of the "only once" Ironman races? That would be something. I remember I had heard that at least part of the reason it got canceled was they were going to have to change the bike course and not have us crossing over 106 anymore, but maybe other things ultimately canceled it. The area doesn't really NEED help getting people in that area, even in a pandemic. Last summer it sure didn't stop many people from heading to the lakes region. Regardless, that was a fantastic race and I was devastated when they canceled it and it would be amazing if they brought it back.

And yes I have always wondered why there are no races in that area in July. My guess is it just has more to do with venues being available as July is prime vacation time. But it would be an excellent time to race. The only good thing about it getting canceled is it got me to finally go and do IMMT which I might not have done because I couldn't NOT do Timberman and they were always the same weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman ish 70.3 back? [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update - it sounds like negotiations are still going on:

It sounds like the old Timberman course with a different run course and finish in town in Laconia. It may make the logistics of getting back to T1 interesting. Its about 9 miles between Ellacoya and this park thats being proposed for T2 The part I dont understand is that there is a perfectly good swimming venue at this park, so why would they do Ellacoya other than its more picturesque.

Below is the newspaper article.

LACONIA — City councilors want City Manager Scott Myers to furnish them with firm numbers about how much hosting a proposed triathlon would likely cost taxpayers. Councilors Bruce Cheney and Bob Hamel said they wanted more precise estimates of what the costs to the city would be. “I’m looking forward to seeing this. I just don’t want to be surprised,” Cheney said. Councilor Henry Lipman suggested that Myers determine what the maximum cost the city would agree to pay as the host of the event. Myers said the event would be “a good shot in the arm” economically for the city. “It would help support businesses in the area after a struggling season,” he said. The organizers of the triathlon, tentatively planned for August, are asking the city to provide police coverage, a dedicated ambulance, as well as free use of Opechee Park and other city facilities for the two-day athletic event. The requests are among several contained in a proposal which The Ironman Group formally presented to the City Council on Monday. In addition, the sports event promotion company is asking the city for a payment of $15,000, as well as defraying the cost for solid waste services and the use of message boards associated with the two-day event, which is planned for the weekend of Aug. 21 and 22. Plans call for the 1.2 mile swim phase of the triathlon to be held off Ellacoya State Beach in Gilford, followed by a 56-mile bike ride from Gilford to Loudon and then back to Laconia, where the 13.1 mile running course will be set up. Opechee Park would be the start-finish line for the road race. Organizers are seeking a three-year commitment from the city to support the event. The competition is expected to attract 4,000 participants over the two days, Audra Tassone-Indeck, a regional director for the Ironman Group, told the councilors. The council took the proposal under advisement. A vote on the plan is expected at the council’s next meeting on Feb. 8. Under the terms of The Ironman Group proposal, organizers are committed to making a $10,000 donation to benefit nonprofit groups in the city, as well an additional $20,000 that will be disbursed to organizations that enlist volunteers who carry out various functions during the event. The council urged organizers to ask the state Department of Safety if State Police could help with some of the traffic control. They also stressed that the city could commit only one ambulance/EMS unit to the event and that organizers would need to make plans to pay for additional EMS services in the event there were simultaneous calls for athletes needing medical aid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Update - it sounds like negotiations are still going on:

It sounds like the old Timberman course with a different run course and finish in town in Laconia. It may make the logistics of getting back to T1 interesting. Its about 9 miles between Ellacoya and this park thats being proposed for T2 The part I dont understand is that there is a perfectly good swimming venue at this park, so why would they do Ellacoya other than its more picturesque.

Couldn't say why not do the entire event from Laconia, but I doubt there will be a need to get back to T1. You'll most likely be required to put all your swim gear in a bag during transition and they will pick it up and take it to the finish.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spent an hour watching a YouTube video of a Laconia town council meeting from last week. Some highlights...

- Race was approved, almost definitely happening

- will be two days, women on Saturday, men Sunday. Pro women’s race, no men’s.

- swim likely at ellacoya, but possibly maybe Weirs beach

- athlete village in Laconia (not Gunstock)

- council begged them to consider September for future years

- They hope to open registration by the end of February, but seemed resigned to it actually being March.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Feb 14, 21 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has there ever been a two day event other than at 70.3 Worlds? Is that because they are expecting a huge field?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking the local economic impact by athletes that come to the area far exceeds any host fee and cost of services a city provides. Also, 15k is pretty low for an Ironman host fee.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next