Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a massive sweater ever since I was a kid and have had lifelong cramp issues in all hot races even when I was extremenly fit and paced myself well.

Scott,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Could it be, like most things that there is a range - you need what would seem a lot of salt supplementation to keep going. Others less so.

My wife who is a Pro triathlete was recently tested at the University of Guelph in Ontario. I will disclose that the testing was part of a study that is being indirectly supported by Gatorade. What they found was that MissP was a heavy sweater - we knew that. Shes seems to sweat buckets. However, she actually looses, relative to her sweat rate, a low amount of sodium through her sweat. Now the knee-jerk reaction to this in the past, when people say they are heavy/massive sweaters is that they loose a lot of sodium and go crazy with the salt supplementation, but in MissP's case, that is
not the case.

As an interesting anecdotal aside, she raced twice last year in very hot conditions, at IM Lanzarote and Ironman Hawaii, and did reasonably well in both races. Yet we live in Ontario and only rarely do we get weather, that get's close to the types of conditions that she had to race in in Lanzarote and Kona. She did very little heat training in similar environments.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 23, 09 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Tim Noakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry but I don't know how you know that dehydration caused this condition. As I said the fact that two events occur at the same time does not mean that they are causally related. And why was this lady the only one who developed the condition in that race (ie what is the control group that allowed you to draw your conclusion).

I have considered this problem for 20 years and have written about it extensively. You might want to read our most recent article in MSSE - first author is Dr J Swart. If dehydration is the real cause of heat stroke why does the condition occur so infrequently and why can some athletes finish marathons and ultramarathons after losing 10-12% of body weight and not die of heat stroke? And why do most cases of heat stroke occur in athletes and military personnel involved in short duration exercise and so often in mild environmental conditions. The dehydration explanation simply does not explain most cases of heat stroke.

You really need to read the ENTIRE literature on this topic and not just that section which you are currently reading.

We are currently beginning to test the hypothesis that most cases of heat stroke have a genetic basis and are related to as yet unrecognised conditions of skeletal muscle.

With regard to the frequency of life threatening EAH, I have been able to collect more than 1000 cases of the condition, most reported in the scientific literature since 1985. There is nowhere near the same number of cases of heat stroke reported in athletes during the same time.

So if you read the literature it is clear that heat stroke does not causes anywhere near the same number of cases of ill health in athletes as does EAH. Fortunately it looks like the tide has turned and the number of new cases of EAH each year is now quite low.

I do not discount the potential effects of dehydration. I just am unable to find any evidence in the scientific literature to support your conclusions and much to discount them.
Dr. Noakes, you ask how I "know that dehydration caused this condition." Well, no one knows for sure as to which exact "straw" was the one that broke this camel's "hyperthermia back" But, I am a physician and my clinical jugement is that such conditions do not occur in the absence of dehydration except when the athlete has an underlying condition such as a predispposition to a condtion called malignant hyperthermia. While it is clear dehydration alone is not a sufficient condition to cause hyperthermia it seems it is a necessary condition, at least in some instances, to cause hperthermia in athletes. I find it simply amazing that you are so certain that dehydration is playing no role here. To me it is simply a clinical diagnosis. In your view, if dehydration is not one of them, what are the factors predisposing the athlete to severe hyperthemia?

I will admit that there is more than one potential cause of hyperthermia in athletes while there are not very many causes of hyponatremia, which makes your analysis of this issue rather simplistic, in my view. It seems to me that you should be looking at hydration strategies that could avoid all adverse consequences, not simply focusing on overhydration issues and railing against the sports drink industry.

So, let me get this straight. By your reading of the literature you don't see dehydration as causing much "ill health" where in this very thread someone who works the medical tent at races reports that 90% of those needing aid are suffering from "dehydrated/heat exhaustion". By my poor math skills that leaves only 10% who could be suffering from overhydration issues or other things. Of course, such reports don't mean much to you because it is not the "literature" but simply someone's clinical experience.

So, while I can't explain exactly why some people suffer from heat stroke when others don't (that is what, at least, some researchers are trying to figure out, even though some of them are being funded by sports drinks companies) under a wide variety of conditions and efforts, I would be very surprised that dehydration was not a necessary condition to be present in a portion of these cases.

And, then we have the seemingly related issue of cramps.

If you could point me to a study that demonstrates that dehydration cannot be associated with this condition in athletes I will change my mind. Until then, I will continue to recommend that endurance athletes take in reasonable amounts of fluid to prevent medical issues (including the admonition to not take in too much to avoid water intoxication), especially when conditions are hot and severe.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's some articles you might want to read:

I am 100% confident that Dr. Noakes has read those articles - he simply chooses to ignore them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figuring out how to prevent cramps in long hot races has been a 34-year search for me so far, so I'm finding this thread is very interesting! \\

you and me both brother. Only problem is that no one is talking about cramping, like it does not exist, or some rare animal. Talking about the brain shutting down before it overheats, the bodies ability to regulate salt, ect. are all great topics. But what about when the bodies muscles shut down from cramps, long before fuel and water are gone? You and I cannot be the only ones that have suffered an entire career with this problem, and like you, salt and magnesium were my savoirs. I read this thread, and begin to doubt that they really worked, and hardly a mention. And of course you know as well as I do, there are a lot of pros out there eating salt pills like candy to get through their hot races. To try and come up with a solution that is generic is just crazy and illiogical in my mind. You are married to one of natures camels, seen her over a lot of years in a lot of races, how can one formula work for her, you and I? I wish it were so, but actual evidence for the past 40 years suggests otherwise...
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly Fleck, I am probably similar to your wife in sweat rate/characteristics. I was always a heavy sweater but not a salty one. The problems came up when I started excersizing more than ~2 hours at a time because I could lose on the order of 4lb per hour in the Floriduh heat. Adding salt to my intake allowed me to digest the water quick enough to avoid serious problems. Without some salt or other electrolytes it would just end up sitting in my stomach on the bike and I'd hit catastrophic dehydration before my stomach would really absorb water well.

As another poster mentioned...back in the day you drank some gatorade (sugars and a bit of salt) and ate bananas. Do you have any idea how many electrolytes are in 1/4 of a banana? Something like 100-150mg Potassium, high levels of Vitamins A, C, B6, B12, Iron, and significant levels of magnesium, calcium and manganese. No significant sodium, but lots of other good stuff. For me the high level of fiber is a serious detractor...which is why I eat bananas on a regular daily basis but not during a race!

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going back and banging on the doors of the old guys. i think the era of skid, grip, and that whole group, tinley, the euros (pauli, rob barel, the germans), welchie, these were the guys who bridged the pre and post salt tab eras. today's top long distant triathletes pretty much all take salt tabs, i think. but i finding the guys who were in that late 80s, early 90s era, like skid, they have a nice long history of both pre and post salt tab racing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cramp is not only a problem under hot conditions. Cramps are also common in very cold conditions, especially on the bike. I have seen lots of cramps in cold weather on longer duathlons in winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Cramps are also common in very cold conditions, \\

Not for me, but I do not doubt that it is for a lot of people. In cold conditions I hardly need to drink or eat at all. I fit Noakes profile to the T, except that it has to be under 50 degrees. I guess mmy evoloution was more in the north back in the day..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is the evidence that performance during prolonged exercise is related to the cardiac output and blood flow to the muscles? Surely if the exercise is submaximal and occurs at submaximal cardiac output and submaximal blood flow to the muscles, there is no reason to believe that it is limited by (submaximal) rates of oxygen delivery?

So although I would like to accept your explanation i am not certain it is likely to be correct.
Submaximal efforts are not limited by oxygen delivery. Only maximum and near maximum efforts are limited by oxygen delivery as far as I know. Submaximal efforts are limited, I suspect, by the "weakest link" in the complicated cascade that turns fuel into mechanical work. That could vary from person to person depending upon their training history and genetics. Oxygen delivery is not going to be the weak link in this cascade until oxygen delivery is maximized.

Of course, the cell can sense what the limiter is and, with repeated stress, can develop the enzyme systems to better perform when shown the stress again. This is called the training response. This requires no central mechanism to either identify or "correct" the weakness. Of course, we are able to learn what these efforts feel like so are able to voluntarily modify our efforts but this is a learned response and not an inherent central control, IMHO.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer to why cramping occurs during races should be somewhere within, "Why doesn't cramping occur during training?"

Each of us has a control group - training efforts.

I know people who have gone to epic type training camps which demanded tremendous training load, on consecutive days, not being as anally attentive to salt and fluid intake as on race day, and involving similar workout intensity to racing. No cramps. Yet on race day 2-3 weeks later they cramp early in the run of a half ironman. Why??

For comparison, one must make a list of factors that differ between the 2 types of events, training and racing.

Differences during the event:
- generally higher level of intensity while racing
- no rest during racing
- adrenaline/other hormones are likely different
- probably more tuned in to salt/fluid/calorie replacement on race day

I think at least part of the answer may be in the days leading up to race day, however.

Diffferences before the event:
- decrease in work volume and overall load
- dysproportionate increased intake of fluid, calories, and electrolytes relative to demands

So how does the body's internal milieu change in response to the taper? And are those changes a set-up for race day failures?

It's the days leading up to the race that we have some control over; the race day factors are mostly inherent.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Apr 23, 09 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Correct. The site from which the fluid is lost depends on the amount of sodium and potassium that are lost with the water. The more sodium that is lost, the more of the fluid loss will come from the ECF.

Sporting performance is strongly belief centred. If you believe that becoming "dehydrated" will effect your performance, then it will. Similarly if you believe that drinking ahead of thirst will improve your performance it probably will. But there is a point at which fluid retention will lead to an impaired performance perhaps as a result as much of brain swelling as of changes in the muscles caused by an increase in their water content.

The interesting point is that it seems to depend where you come from as to your view of how much you should be drinking during exercise. If you are an elite distance runner from Africa you will very likely drink to thirst during training and competition. If you come from Europe or North America, it seems to me that you would be more likely to believe that you must drink to "stay ahead of thirst". Is this because of differences in biology? Or of pre-programming?
Sporting performance may be strongly belief oriented but it is more strongly physiology oriented. Not believing severe dehydration can affect performance does not mean that severe dehydration does not affect performance or, even, health.

What is clear that peoples physiology varies somewhat in their ability to handle salt and water. Further, it seems peoples ability to handle salt and water can adapt based upon their experience. Unless we understand these differences and how to identify them it seems we cannot give good advice to people unless they have the physiology of either an African elite runner or Lance Armstrong, where the advice is: do what they do. Seems like a cope out to me.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is no evidence that humans can run themselves into a catastrophic failure. Even the winners of the Ironman Triathlon do not die at the finish. They walk over to the medical tent etc showing that they finish with reserve. When death does occur it is almost always due to a pathological condition.
No evidence of catastrophic failure? Perhaps you might want to watch this video. "Walk" over to the medical tent, indeed.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why doesn't cramping occur during training?" \\

But they absolutly do happen in training. Once again not for everyone, but just look at you evening swim workout sometime, after the triathletes have put in a full day before, and you will see many on the deck stretching out cramps. All the cramps I have gotten in races, I have gotten in training. I think that it may happen more often in races, because it is just that, a race. During training you are not redllined, and thus can absorbe more fuel and electrolytes, and have the time to do it. I think we all know that when you are flat out, the body's ability to absorbe goes down, and the hotter it is, the worse it gets. It goes back to what I was comparing in the earlier studies of sedetary heat starved people, and all out racers. The race acclerates the losses, prevents the equal refueling of those losses, and the bodies indicators seem to lag behind the actual losses.

I was just talking to Dan on our dog walk, and I told him of people I know that have never had a cramp in their lives, don't even know what it is. Some people think a side stitch in a cramp. It is just that some people are predisposed to having great regletory systems, that conserve in a way that allows them to do just about whatever they want, without no negative affects. But then there are the others, and all you have to do is look at a cramping/salt/electrolyte/ thread to see how many of those folks are out there. I have had to live this nightmare throughout my career, and belive it was a large contributor to my heart damage. I have a lot of proofs that point to that too, not conclusive mind you, but then no one can be conclusive in these situations right now. The cardiologists are just as baffled as we are when it comes to direct causes of heart damage in athletes, but there are some strong signs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The danger is always to try to reduce a complex phenomenon (the development of heat stroke) to one simple mechanism ie dehydration. To conclude that dehydration is the cause you have at least to exclude a number of other possibilities. Also if the activity was less than a few hours and the subject had been drinking, then what level of dehydration would have been present? And would that level of dehydration not have been precisely the same as that measured in many other athletes completing the race on the same day in the same conditions without any evidence for "heat illness".
Clearly, at least to me, heat stroke is multifactorial. In the absence of illness and genetic abnormalities (malignant hyperthermia susceptible) dehydration seems to be a necessary component of this multifactorial disease. If you have evidence to the contrary I would love to see it.
In Reply To:
But more to the point, much of the early work on heat stroke was done in the South African gold mines in the 1920's and 1930's when an epidemic of heat stroke began to develop as the mines went ever deeper. (The temperature of the rock face at 3-4km below the earth surface is 50 degrees C). The main risk for heat stroke were the environmental conditions, the amount of work performed, the level of heat acclimatization and most importantly the presence of intercurrent illness. These were not healthy people who suddenly developed the condition. In laboratory testing on the mines it was soon observed that those who started exercise with an elevated temperature (because of an intercurrent illness of which they might or might not have been aware) were unable to regulate their body temperatures appropriately and had to be stopped from exercise when their temperatures reached abnormally high levels. So in an case of heat stroke you have to be certain that there was not an intercurrent illness at the same time. But most importantly in my view whether or not there is also some underlying muscle disorder that causes an explosive production of heat (thermogenesis) which is the real cause of the heat stroke (according to the theory that we are currently evaluating).
Of course there is an underlying muscle disorder that could cause heat related illness. However, it is not likely that MH is the source of most of these problems as I am unaware of a single case where dantrolene was necessary to stop the reaction at an athletic event, once triggered. But, some of these people might have the trait. It would be easy to find out, simply do an MH diagnostic muscle biopsey on all those with heat related illness at the finish line (sometime after the event, not necessary to do the biopsey at the finish line).
In Reply To:

Thank you for mentioning postural hypotension as the cause of your collapse. This is by far the most common cause of post-exercise collapse in all endurance athletes. Unfortunately it is labelled as "heat illness" and "dehydration" but both diagnoses are wrong. First the body temperature is not seriously elevated in these athletes and second they recover the instant their legs and pelvis are elevated above the level of the heart. This restores their blood pressures. Their symptoms as you correctly state are due to low blood pressure when standing (postural hypotension) which is corrected when the blood volume in the legs is redistributed to the centre of the body correcting a low filling pressure of the heart and again allowing a normal circulatory function.
Ugh, seems to me that you think all the doctors at the finish line of these events are complete idiots, unable to tell transient postural hypotension from dehydration related hypotension. This difference is relatively easy to discern clinically. Perhaps you have never heard of the tilt test. It don't take much blood volume to keep the body alive when one is supine with the legs elevated. Perhaps you should spend a few days hanging around with some anesthesiologists (or ER physicians) and learn how they clinically assess blood volume/hydration status and the consequences of those conditions. It is a problem that comes up almost every day. We think we have gotten pretty good at it.
In Reply To:

Frank's interpretation is also dependant on the catastrophe model that he evokes for exercise in the heat. I mentioned this model in an earlier post - Basic Physiology 3 - the one to do with the sports drink industry's model of how the body works.
I don't believe I have ever heard this model referred to as the "catastrophe" model. I just thought it was basic physiology. Anyhow, how does the sport drink industry's model differ from the model taught in medical school as to how the body works?
In Reply To:

Thus according to his model humans will continue to exercise without drinking until they suddenly collapse from heat stroke. When this does happen it is the exception not the rule. The rule is that if you become too hot or if you don't drink enough during exercise the brain will eventually take over and change your behavior by slowing you down. When you slow down your rate of heat production is reduced and you start to cool down (since it is your rate of heat production and not your level of dehydration that is the primary determinant of your body temperature during exercise - presuming that you do not have an intercurrent illness). in this way dehydration (caused by the absence of drinking which causes thirst which causes you to slow down and to go and search for fluid to alleviate your symptoms of thirst) should actually protect from and not cause heat stroke.
Ugh, where did I ever say that continuing "to exercise without drinking" would sort of go unnoticed until the athlete "suddenly collapased"? I don't think that ever happens. As dehydration begins to get clinically significant performance will start to degrade as filling pressure will drop and cardiac output cannot be maintained at the previous high level. If the muscles are continued to be stressed at the same level though, one compensatory mechanism the body has to meet the demand is to divert blood from the skin to the muscles. This would be a good survival mechanism is being chased by a lion so we can see why evolution might have selected for this ability. It is an awful survival mechanism is in a hot marathon.

Slowing you down when dehydrated does not require a single neuron of brain activity. It is simply a matter of being able to maintain cardiac output and deliver oxygen to all the demands. If you don't slow down you will overheat. If you overheat, the proteins don't work so good anyhow and you will slow down. It is all a matter of rather simple physiology.
In Reply To:

Interestingly in the literature there are hundreds of individual cases of subjects who exercise in the heat without drinking. Often these subjects are acting as the controls in studies to show important it is to drink during exercise. But in none of these are there reports of ill health in the group who do not drink during exercise. The exception are a group of studies in which athletes exercise in such extreme heat that they are unable to regulate their body temperatures so that they will have to stop eventually because they are becoming too hot. But even in those experiments subjects usually stop because they develop postural hypotension with temperatures well below those measured in cases of heat stroke or even in winners of 10, 21 and 42 km races run in the heat.
Ugh, me thinks that is because the Human use committees would never approve a study that allowed the subjects to exercise long enough to risk any injury, let alone any substantial injury. Any body temperature more than a degree or so from the optimal 37º will adversly affect performance. That is a different story than heat stroke which is life threatening. You don't seem to be able to put this "heat issue" into perspective. It is a continuum, just as water intoxication is.
In Reply To:

These findings are best explained by a model in which the brain is clever enough not to want to kill itself every time its owner chooses to exercise in the heat. For the reality is that the brain also dies if the athlete dies from heat stroke. Furthermore it is only the brain that can determine how much heat your are producing (since the brain drives the muscles to exercise) and how much heat you are losing (by regulating the amount of sweat that is being secreted - this control is via the sympathetic nervous system).
Phooey. It is not necessary to invoke any "brain cleverness" to explain any or all of these findings other than we learn from prior experience so are better able to gauge our efforts. Ugh, and most athletic activity, like running does not involve any "brain activity" as it is purely a spinal reflex activity, never getting any higher than the cerebellum except when the brain is used to initiate the activity or change the intensity. People do not have to think about moving those muscles.
In Reply To:
Since it controls both heat production and heat loss the brain must determine whether or not to kill itself. Why would it choose suicide when it can simply choose to increase the rate of heat loss (by increased sweating) or if that fails simply reduce the rate of heat production by slowing the athlete down.
The only way the brain "controls" the periphery is in its ability to put out hormones that will divert blood from other organs to itself in cases of extremis. During ordinary activity the brain has no control over heating (except, perhaps, for shivering and initiating muscle activity), cooling, or anything else. If the brain is involved in this peripheral physiology the entire body is in extremis.
In Reply To:
The rarity of heat stroke suggests (i) that these controls work very very weil in most individuals and (ii) when heat stroke does occur something has gone seriously wrong since the brain has chosen suicide over survival.
Well, I concur that heat stroke implies something has gone seriously wrong but I disagree that it was the primary fault of the brain unless we blame it for signing up for the race or whatever.
In Reply To:
And evolution would not have allowed such a brain to survive.
That is correct. That is why the physiology works the way it does. Luckily for us our brains are used mostly for thinking and not for making sure the muscles work right when exercising which allows us to study and figure some of this stuff out.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with many of your points.
Why is electrolytes the answer for cramping in triathlon?? I think the answer to that question is culture. In long distance xc-skiing, nobody links cramping to lack of electrolytes. If you get cramps you are pushing too hard, your fitness level is not where it should be. Ultra runners in Scandinavia are not crazy users of salt tablets (I am talking about 6, 12 and 24 hours competitions). The top marathon runners in the world do not link electrolytes, salty sweaters and dehydration to cramping. But in triathlon, many need an electrolyte replacement plan for a sprint or Olympic. It must be culture.

This is how the best marathon runners are fueling. No focus on electrolytes.

During the long runs in Kenya (and in Ethiopia, too) normally the athletes drink only water. Sometime we meet runners going without any assistant (no car following them) in courses of 45 km, of course without any possibility to drink. Not only, but one of the most difficult problems to solve for training kenyan marathon runners is to teach them to drink. Many of them think that not drinking can strengthen their endurance in very bad conditions of weather. And, also when they drink, a lot of time they only put little water in their mouth, and after they spit out without swallowing.

Different is the situation during the race. Many athletes (not all, but many) use maltodestrines,if they have european or american coaches, knowing the system.
For example, in preparation of WCh of Osaka 2007, that we knew were very hot and humid, I went with Shami for any specific workout at lower altitude (Keiyo Valley), at 11:00 o'clock in the morning, in order to have full adaptation to the conditions of the race. Several times Luke Kibet came with our group. During that period, I always used Maltodestrines (in powder), melted in water, trying to create the best concentration for each athlete. In fact, the reaction in the stomach is individual, changing from every athlete. Somebody cannot use, because feels acidity after drinking, for some other everything is ok. In the case of Shami, we found a good solution using 2 normal spoons of powder in 250 ml of water. The same we use in Osaka, where he was able to win silver, in spite to have a sciatic problem that didn't allow him to run faster than 3:10 per km.
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2959804&page=0

You will find some good readings here
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/featured-series-on-science-of-sport.html

Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you are not a fan of Noakes' central governor theory. What is that theory and why do you not agree with it?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I take it you are not a fan of Noakes' central governor theory. What is that theory and why do you not agree with it?
Well, as I understand his theory, physical activity is limited by some brain "governor". I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong. While the brain is connected to all parts of the body and does have some control over aspects of our peripheral physiology, to say it is the primary limiter is just hair brained as far as I am concerned, especially as regulating peripheral muscle activity is concerned. I need a mechanism for both the sensing and control. Without that, the theory is just a bunch of conjecture. All these limits are better explained by local mechanisms that have been well studied for years. Of course, everything we "know" in medicine is subject to change. I was told in medical school that half of what they were teaching us was wrong, they just didn't know which half. Perhaps, Noakes is right. I just don't see the evidence that supports his theory. A theory must explain all that is observed to be true, otherwise it needs to be revised. So, until he comes through, I will hold his feet to the fire to give us a mechanism (beyond the brain is controlling things "mechanism") for this control and hold up examples where it seems to fail.

I have a similar issue with Dr. Coggan's "the heart is the limiter" theory. While some data could be interpreted to support both of these theories, for either of them to be correct the theory has to explain what initiates the "failure cascade". This initiation is better explained by peripheral limiters in my opinion. Dr. Coggan and I have gone back and forth on this many times here and if you do a search you can see what both of us have to say. Dr. Noakes is new to defending his theories here.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Apr 23, 09 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a similar issue with Dr. Coggan's "the heart is the limiter" theory.

Not my theory, but the generally-accepted explanation (with the caveat that one should really say "cardiovascular system" instead of just "heart") for what primarily limits VO2max in humans.

In Reply To:
While some data could be interpreted to support both of these theories, for either of them to be correct the theory has to explain what initiates the "failure cascade". This initiation is better explained by peripheral limiters in my opinion.

1. VO2max is primarily limited by the cardiovascular system's ability to transport O2-carrying blood to exercising muscle.

2. Performance is primarily determined by metabolic events in exercising muscle.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Not my theory, but the generally-accepted explanation (with the caveat that one should really say "cardiovascular system" instead of just "heart") for what primarily limits VO2max in humans.
Here is the big "problem" with this cardiovascular system limiter theory. VO2 max depends upon how it is measured. In the same person it can be different if measured on a bicycle, running, or rowing, or any other method. If the CV system were truly the limiter it should test the same regardless of the activity.

So, it may be generally accepted as right. But, if it cannot explain all the data it isn't right.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
While some data could be interpreted to support both of these theories, for either of them to be correct the theory has to explain what initiates the "failure cascade". This initiation is better explained by peripheral limiters in my opinion.

1. VO2max is primarily limited by the cardiovascular system's ability to transport O2-carrying blood to exercising muscle.

2. Performance is primarily determined by metabolic events in exercising muscle.
This actually is in agreement with what I have been saying all along. The cardiovascular system appears to be the limiting factor for VO2 max because of events that occur in the exercising muscle near maximum performance.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Here is the big "problem" with this cardiovascular system limiter theory. VO2 max depends upon how it is measured. In the same person it can be different if measured on a bicycle, running, or rowing, or any other method. If the CV system were truly the limiter it should test the same regardless of the activity.

Unless someone is specifically trained as a cyclist or rower, they are generally unable to achieve the same VO2 during such modes of exercise as during graded treadmill running. Hence, the highest VO2 achievable by non-cyclists or non-rowers (or cyclists during rowing or rowers while cycling) is considered to be a VO2peak, and not VO2max.

As for why this occurs, the answer again lies in the functioning of the cardiovascular system.

In Reply To:
So, it may be generally accepted as right. But, if it cannot explain all the data it isn't right.

The classical perspective on VO2max does indeed explain the available data.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

This actually is in agreement with what I have been saying all along. The cardiovascular system appears to be the limiting factor for VO2 max because of events that occur in the exercising muscle near maximum performance.

Do you mean "The cardiovascular system appears to be the limiting factor for VO2max..."? If so, that that is incorrect is clear from the fact that there is a VO2max in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Which publication(s) by Noakes referencing the governor theory have you read?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

4) studies of both chimpanzee and orang-utan clans suggest that both males and females appreciate doing their nails to about the same extent.

you know, this is really making me rethink my annual 'do i really want to shave my legs this year' debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you have severe leg cramps(different issue), they can highly likely be stopped wit IV Na Cl .... or PO NaCl if you can take it with a time delay that is variable."

This and several athletes testimonies about the efficacy of plain NaCl as a remedy against cramps bring up the interesting posssibility (propability) that NaCl intake may not directly be required for "topping off the tank", but may trigger (alleviate) other physiological processes that help maintain electrolyte balance under stress.

One could imagine that the physiological "window" for NaCl concentration differences is quite narrow, and adjustments of those levels and the timeframe required for it may in fact be limited during heavy exercise.

So measuring steady state electrolyte levels may not be the best way to study electrolyte concentration "gradients" and "windows" of optimal concentration DURING exercise.

Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

4) studies of both chimpanzee and orang-utan clans suggest that both males and females appreciate doing their nails to about the same extent.

you know, this is really making me rethink my annual 'do i really want to shave my legs this year' debate.
It was a fair crack at the humor he was responding to.

JJ

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Noakes: we need you back for a moment [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is electrolytes the answer for cramping in triathlon?? I think the answer to that question is culture. In long distance xc-skiing, nobody links cramping to lack of electrolytes. If you get cramps you are pushing too hard, your fitness level is not where it should be. Ultra runners in Scandinavia are not crazy users of salt tablets (I am talking about 6, 12 and 24 hours competitions). The top marathon runners in the world do not link electrolytes, salty sweaters and dehydration to cramping. But in triathlon, many need an electrolyte replacement plan for a sprint or Olympic. It must be culture.

Why is it different in triathlon? That's a good question. Because it's triathlon . . it has to be different. Everything seems to be different in this sport! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next