Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/...m_source=fb_www_attr

I thought this was a pretty interesting move for Tim Don to switch from Ceramic Speed to SLF Motion. This is a big step for Blake and SLF.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want big pulleys because I think they look cool. And there probably is some drivetrain loss improvement as well. But, I am not willing to pay stupid money for big pulleys. I wish someone made big pulleys with normal bearings and only charged like 4x the price of Dura Ace pulleys. Why do all the big pulley options have to be 15x the price of DA pulleys?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KCNC make oversized pulley system for about $80. Don't know about the quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Blake is doing great things at SLF Motion. His oversized pulleys look great with the different colors.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 21, 18 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The colors are very flashy.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate under mount extensions. Looks ugly and adds a lot of bulk to potential clean airflow below the base bar.

I don’t think the ENVE Dimension Data stem would get him much lower, but would look a lot cleaner.

Maybe a -30 stem could get him low enough to use the above mount extensions option?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does any of that have to do with pulleys?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ceramicspeeds may look cool, but after a few hundred miles of riding, your shifting gets out of whack and there’s a serious lag/delay.

I sold my OSPW and went to enduro pulleys. Very happy

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

The photo is causing friction between me and this forum. And it’s because of the Shiv’s oversized head tube.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Ceramicspeeds may look cool, but after a few hundred miles of riding, your shifting gets out of whack and there’s a serious lag/delay.

I got about 400 on mine.. is that still in my future? besides I'm already slower.....eTap :)
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jun 21, 18 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told that all the Specialized triathletes had to take their Ceramic Speed OSPW off their bikes. Must be some riff between the two companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting move with Tim Don. Personally, Starky is probably a heck of a lot cheaper and he is a much better rider, but maybe they were looking at Tim as gaining access to the UK TT market. I am still using my Berner although I have a Ceramic Speed 13t/19t system but no way to upgrade it yet as I need a new derailleur. With that being said, I have to assume that the Ceramic Speed cages are more aerodynamic, lighter, and more efficient. Why are people choosing to go with SLF, especially since they are similarly priced?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Interesting move with Tim Don. Personally, Starky is probably a heck of a lot cheaper and he is a much better rider, but maybe they were looking at Tim as gaining access to the UK TT market. I am still using my Berner although I have a Ceramic Speed 13t/19t system but no way to upgrade it yet as I need a new derailleur. With that being said, I have to assume that the Ceramic Speed cages are more aerodynamic, lighter, and more efficient. Why are people choosing to go with SLF, especially since they are similarly priced?

SLF is better in every way compared to Ceramic Speed. If you would have done your research, you would know this.

There is nothing special about Ceramic Speed unless you like paying ridiculous prices for equipment. They are the Rapha of bearings.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 21, 18 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hold no special place in my heart for ceramicspeed, but what research did you do that led you to your aforementioned opinion?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparing material specs between Ceramic Speed and SLF Motion. Ceramic Speed uses aluminum pulley wheels and a plastic cage. I have heard of people breaking these cages.

SLF Motion cages won't break because they are made out aluminum. You also get titanium wheels and coated bearings. Oh, you want coated bearings with Ceramic Speed? Add another $100.

Blake also offers different colors. It's 100% better, stronger, cooler, and cheaper than anything Ceramic Speed makes.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 21, 18 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Comparing material specs between Ceramic Speed and SLF Motion. Ceramic Speed uses aluminum pulley wheels and a plastic cage. I have heard of people breaking these cages.

SLF Motion cages won't break because they are made out aluminum. You also get titanium wheels and coated bearings. Oh, you want coated bearings with Ceramic Speed? Add another $100.

Blake also offers different colors. It's 100% better, stronger, cooler, and cheaper than anything Ceramic Speed makes.

I have also heard of people breaking these cages but I also don't know how many of those stories are from people NOT knowing what they are doing during installation. I talked to a few of the people and they didn't even lengthen the chain which could result in broken cages real fast. I have broken a Shimano cage before too and that was not the result of chain length I can assure you and I did switch to an aluminum cage after the Dura-Ace one broke. How has Ceramic Speed handled the customer cage replacements, anybody??? Did they beef up the design, I haven't heard of a cage breaking in quite a while.

In regards to SLF, I don't mind that the cage is made out of aluminum, but it seems like it isn't going to be shaped aerodynamically, or at least not as easily. As it stands my Berner cage seems like a solid option still. It is a 13T-15T and it has been shown to reduce friction to a great degree. The 13T-15T allows me to run 32T rear cassette with hopefully a smaller profile at low yaw, and possible even more aerodynamic at higher yaws. Although it is carbon, it is super beefy and I don't expect it to break any time soon and hasn't in the 5+ years of using.

I have also heard stories of SLF bearings slowing to molasses. Again it is hard to say without direct feedback and what kind of care the users put in. They are just anecdotes from others but I tend to believe that companies partnering with Ceramic Speed for bearings (I.e. Specialized) are doing their own due diligence and Ceramic Speed passes the test.

Colors doesn't influence my decision. Being *cool* does not impress me. People who actually are cool don't try to be cool and don't give two cents what other people think. Price is hugely important but they are up there with Ceramic Speed. But if price is a big seller then why should I just not go with a $80 KCNC system?

Lastly, I'll say we don't and we won't ever know the performance of SLF Motion. Simply put while they marketed their products against a specific test, they can't really do that. The products they marketed against were independently tested and purchased by the 3rd-party tester without the knowledge of the company. In the case of SLF they sent their products in for testing. How do we know they didn't send in an ABEC 9 bearing but sell an ABEC 1 in the actual consumer product? To think they can market data from a completely different test is just not kosher.

Fwiw, you don't need coated bearings and titanium wheels. If you want to go nuts with that *cool* factor then knock yourself out but the OSPW gets you 99% of the benefit, the extra 1% is trivial. Ceramic Speed cages are made of polyamide and carbon fwiw.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Is there an engineering reason why dura-ace pulleys don't spin freely. I get that some of the energy saving of oversize pulleys is because the chain is not bending as much but there's got to be a lot of friction loss in those bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the DA pulleys are good and that the friction issues are with Ultegra and 105.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

The photo is causing friction between me and this forum. And it’s because of the Shiv’s oversized head tube.

I agree with you. Simply hideous bike, almost as fugly as IA.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
doublea334 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I agree with you. Simply hideous bike, almost as fugly as IA.

Yes.. the UCI approved Shiv TT is a much better looking bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a big part of the story. Bearings in the Dura Ace vs bushings in the 105.

At ~$20 it is a much cheaper upgrade for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don switches to SLF Motion Hyperspeed Pulleys [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

I got about 400 on mine.. is that still in my future? besides I'm already slower.....eTap :)

Mine were on Di2. May not happen to you but typically a few hundred miles after a tune/adjustment it started to happen to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Very happy with mine, Colors Too
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Jun 21, 18 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mistake. You're correct. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...I noticed that post is gone...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next