Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis
Quote | Reply
So last year around this time I got high hamstring tendonitis in my left hamstring. I manged to fully recovery but it took 8 weeks or so of no running and slowly building my mileage back up. But now I have it in my left leg. I'm pretty sure it's because I have tight hamstrings....I always have. So what should I do to stay on top of this going forward. I started strength training but I think the squats/deadlifts are making it worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its interesting that you had this experience because mine was quite opposite. I developed it in April of 2018 on the left. I took 8 weeks off running, then started running in an Alter G, then on the road. I kind of fooled myself into thinking I was okay when I really wasn't. I wasn't getting worse but I wasn't getting better. As a result I had my two worst Ironman results back to back. During my recovery I tried everything. Stretching, massage, chiropractic, active release, dry needling, anti-inflammatories....nothing seemed to work. I started doing some exercises that the PT and chiro would give me with stuff I found on the internet without much benefit. After the season I went back to doing some strength work and after resuming dead lifts I could tell a difference within a week. Now 13 months post injury I am finally 95% and almost back to my running level before the injury. For me deadlifts was the key (I hadn't done them for about 2 years leading into the injury and through initial recovery)

Good luck. HHT is a nightmare

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurance1234 wrote:
So last year around this time I got high hamstring tendonitis in my left hamstring. I manged to fully recovery but it took 8 weeks or so of no running and slowly building my mileage back up. But now I have it in my left leg. I'm pretty sure it's because I have tight hamstrings....I always have. So what should I do to stay on top of this going forward. I started strength training but I think the squats/deadlifts are making it worse.

Ive also had HHT and it sucks. What's interesting is my MRI showed similar tendon changes on both sides, but I was only have problems on the left. My right hamstring tendon has never bothered me. What's significant about this is I am much tighter on the right than the left (hip and hamstring area). I've always had an easy time touching my toes on the left but more difficulty on the right. Of course, this is N=1 but it just goes to show how tightness in the hamstring and HHT can be unrelated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problems. I'd give it more time with the strength training. I should also mention that I'm 42 and have been commuting in the car an hour each way for the past 12 years so I'm sure this doesn't help!
Last edited by: trimac2: May 22, 19 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Its interesting that you had this experience because mine was quite opposite. I developed it in April of 2018 on the left. I took 8 weeks off running, then started running in an Alter G, then on the road. I kind of fooled myself into thinking I was okay when I really wasn't. I wasn't getting worse but I wasn't getting better. As a result I had my two worst Ironman results back to back. During my recovery I tried everything. Stretching, massage, chiropractic, active release, dry needling, anti-inflammatories....nothing seemed to work. I started doing some exercises that the PT and chiro would give me with stuff I found on the internet without much benefit. After the season I went back to doing some strength work and after resuming dead lifts I could tell a difference within a week. Now 13 months post injury I am finally 95% and almost back to my running level before the injury. For me deadlifts was the key (I hadn't done them for about 2 years leading into the injury and through initial recovery)

Good luck. HHT is a nightmare

This sounds similar to me. None of the physio/chiro/massage/witchcraft stuff did anything for me. Getting to the gym and strengthening everything around the hamstring is what finally started to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deadlifts and other posterior chain movements

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Bumping this thread as am having what I think is HHT. Can you elaborate on other good posterior chain movements?
many many thanks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, all those crazy drills the PTs think up.

Deadlifts, Russian deadlifts, nordic hamstring curls, bridges clenching glutes, etc.

Let me see if I can dig up my notes from my PT.

TBH I'm lazy and only eventually did deadlifts but that's been enough for maintenance. The glute activation stuff is worth like 30sec/mi but it only lasts a few minutes ;)

Eric

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Bumping this thread as am having what I think is HHT. Can you elaborate on other good posterior chain movements?
many many thanks.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cured mine with deep core stabilization (TVA exercises) and a few weeks of light easy running. Maintenance is deadlifts, single leg only, and not too heavy (45lb kettlebell).
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cured mine with deep core stabilization (TVA exercises)

Interesting. Any insight into why that worked?
Thanks.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, mine seems to be due to weakness in hips and instability in my back. I think most people think HHT is because their hamstrings are tight, or weak, so they start deadlifting, squatting, hamstring curls, etc which just pisses it off more, and end up doing injections and other treatments seeking relief.

My PT had me do TVA tilts and contractions, once I got the the front side strong and engaged, HHT went (and has stayed away completely). I could definitely tell one side of my TVA fired very easily, but it took concentration to get the injured side going.

I do feel deadlifts, squats, etc have a place in building strength and flexibilty in hamstrings, but after the HHT has subsided. I make sure I have TVA and core engaged before doing any of these.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's helpful. I think my issue is weak glutes - L glute is definitely weaker than R. Hadn't considered TVA so thank you so much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tendinopathy is a capacity vs load problem. One can start to look for 'dysfunctions' etc but it's adjuncts to what you really need to do: develop capacity to handle load. When the tendon has been given too much load one needs to reduce that load and then build capacity within tolerable workloads. I've written a longer post about this specific tendinopathy, it's been 2 years now but it's still very useable. Much more so than blaming the glutes or abs or muscle 'tightness' etc.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6253105#p6253105

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Tight hamstrings leading to High Hamstring Tendonitis [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Tendinopathy is a capacity vs load problem. One can start to look for 'dysfunctions' etc but it's adjuncts to what you really need to do: develop capacity to handle load. When the tendon has been given too much load one needs to reduce that load and then build capacity within tolerable workloads. I've written a longer post about this specific tendinopathy, it's been 2 years now but it's still very useable. Much more so than blaming the glutes or abs or muscle 'tightness' etc.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6253105#p6253105

When Mortysct talks, ST should listen.
This guy is the real deal.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply