Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tight Turns...Chicago Marathon -> New Orleans HIM
Quote | Reply
I've got Chicago 26.2 on October 7th, then New Orleans HIM Oct 21st. I am distance runner guy, but am having trouble deciding my taper strategy and would love some input. I think the HIM would be my priority and as of now am planning on Chicago being a 'long run' as opposed to a 'race' for me and then taper based on HIM planning. BUT, what if i feel great at the Chicago start line and want to race it..... am i blowing up my HIM chances? I will not place anywhere in either, more of a personal battle...and really want to be beat previous times in both races. Currently would treat Chicago as my final long run, then swim like a madman until HIM with a few short/hilly rides (20-35 miles). Any planning/taper/life advice appreciated. Hydration, fueling, resting, anything to get me through healthy!
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Turns...Chicago Marathon -> New Orleans HIM [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your goals are mutually exclusive. Pick one and go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Turns...Chicago Marathon -> New Orleans HIM [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I first read this and thought, yes...the Chicago Marathon DOES have some tight turns.

Doing both to the best of your ability shouldn't be too far of a reach if you've trained properly for both, which, if you've managed marathon level run training while also HIM training, massive kudos. If you feel the spirit moves you on Marathon Day, take your running easy or as Nil (or just run/walk for your prescribed time, just to keep moving) the week after. Not sure what your taper looks like for your HIM, but swimming should feel good, and the bike rides may feel hard if you're mashing up the hills that first week post-marathon.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply