Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tibial nail-experiences/help
Quote | Reply
Hello STers.
Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with tibial nails before....either personally had one, is an orthopod or someone involved in the rehab post surgery for one.
I was keen to hear general experiences with them and what to expect. Unfortunately sounds like I am going to get one very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibial nail-experiences/help [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you getting a tibial nail? A tibial fracture? I would assume it’s today in that case.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibial nail-experiences/help [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there -- I'm about four months out now, was hit by a car going 61mph in a parking lot (SLOW DOWN!) and shattered my fib/tib requiring a tibial nail and plate on the inside of my shin. My experience is probably a bit different as much of the muscle in my calf died and had to be reconstructed as well. Surgeon said that it takes a year to 18 months before everything is fully mended. Right now I can walk, albeit can feel the screws keeping everything in place which means pain and stiffness, particularly in the morning or on cold days. I was weight bearing as tolerated ~two weeks after surgery, but couldn't really bear 100% of my weight until 8 weeks out and even then, it's only now getting to the point where I can comfortably walk for 30 minutes depending on the day. I was back on the bike within a month or so of surgery, the wattage is now 50-60% of what it was and I get odd back pain after 25-30 minutes, but I am told that it will hopefully come back. It's really easy to lose the mind/muscle connection and since the nail gets inserted through your knee, you kind of lose the quad flexing ability / your leg muscles activating in unison from the trauma (for me at least). My surgeon said I should be cleared to start light jogging at the 6 month mark or so at least from the bone healing perspective, which I am looking forward to. Make sure to take PT seriously, elevate the leg after surgery and ice frequently. I am on prescription strength aleve for stiffness which also seems to help and is not addictive vs. opiods which you want to take as sparingly as possible. Take it one day at a time and 'embrace the suck' -- keeping a positive attitude is half the battle.
Quote Reply