Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thyroid problem
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I am reposting this as my real question got buried at the bottom of a discussion on Hammer Gel. I copied the original post and my reply below, any thoughts/concerns on this matter are greatly appreciated especially any Tri M.D.'s out there. In Reply To
Hammer Gel is by far the easiest to digiest/best form of energy that you can get, since it is made with complex carbohydrates instead of simple sugars. I have a thyroid problem, and this stuff, along with sustainedenergy, is the only thing that my body can tolerate without going into sugar shock. Carb BOOM energy gel also works, but Hammer Gel seems to work a little beter when combined with sustained energy.

tommy[/reply]This is a reply to a year old post but what caught my eye was your reference to having a thyroid problem which I also suffer from (diagnosed in the last year). I am doing my first IM in 2004 and was wondering what if anything I should look (out) for as far as training, nutrition, monitoring throughout the year. I am currently on Synthroid as well as testosterone replacement as both my TSH and testosterone levels were way below normal (felt like I was overtrained all of the time and then some no matter what I was doing). I'm hoping the Synthroid straightens out the T levels so I can stop taking the testosterone replacement. Anyone out here with a similar situation?? BTW I am currently using HG products which seem to agree with my touchy gut, although the SE is a little much when warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Thyroid problem [woodenshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have hyper or hypo thyroidism? Usually synthroid is used to speed up a slow thyroid. My father had the same problem as me (way too fast)when he was young. They slowed it down with radioactive iodine, and now he has to take synthroid for the rest of his life. As long as I stay away from that iodine stuff I'm in the clear. My activity level keeps the thyroid in check, but if I don't train as much, I can tell the effects immediately (aggresive, angry, etc.) As fat as the sugar thing, it's an annoying consequense of the problem. Like I said before, keep the simple sugars to a minimum. Complex carbs during training and racing will prevent an unfortunate reaction.
Quote Reply
I've got hypothyroidism [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and since I've gotten my synthroid dosage correct, I've had no issues (not exactly: I was probably overtrained, and didn't take enough electrolytes, and was using non-aero tubes on a slack geometry bike, and box-rim spoked wheels, and my IM was a non-M-dot race, and I have a hairy back, but I mean thyroid issues :)).

If you have just been diagnosed, make certain to get your hormone levels checked often so that your dose can be tweaked. I was having blood drawn every month or so at first. After I achieved my maintenance dosage, I got (get) my TSH levels checked every 6 months.

Don't be afraid to make your doctor give you a more aggressive dosage either. I was started off at .025mg, and upped by .025mg, all the way up to .2mg. With my beginning TSH of something crazy like 300+, I should have insisted on a higher beginning dosage, instead of stretching the process out for a year or more.

Once you get on a maintenance dosage, it should be all good. I used all types of gels, real foods, and sports drinks without issue while training and racing. Experiment and see what works for you.

I don't know about the testosterone thing, though, so you might want to do some more research on that.

Good luck,

Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Thought I'd chime in here. I've been hypo (underactive) thyroid for about 8 years. I was fat and tired all the time with no energy to speak of. I was sleeping 14-16 hours a day and getting really depressed. When I was finally diagnosed (took 3 doctors and 4 years to get it nailed down) it was like new life was being breathed into me!

I had the energy back and started losing wiehgt immediately (33 pounds off a 170 pound body). Don't give up hope. Like another poster said, get those blood levels checked about every 6-8 weeks for the first year. I had a TSH of 237 that is regulated down to 1.4 with synthriod. You need to tweek the dosage if you lose weight (you will need less) or you may bounce intoa chemically induced hypethyroid condidtion with all the racing heartrates and sweats for no reason.

It is interesting that you have associated the use of nutritional suppliments with thyroid activity, I have never heard of or experienced any of the issues you mention. I would look into that further to see if it may in fact be a maltose reaction instead? The regulation of thyroid hormone is the job of the pituitary gland in conjuction with the thyroid and not really connected all that much to the digestive tract as far as I know.

I also found that there is an inherited type of hypothyroidism called Hashimoto's. When I suggested my dad get his levels checked he did and low and behold he was 118 and feels more energy now that he is on a low dose of Synthoid himself. If the use of synthroid is not working as your doctor to try a T4 and supplimental T3 repalcement regine. I saw it in the JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) a few years ago and the study had some suprising results for about 25% of participants. I tried it but did not notice anything but one of my doctors other patients was absolutely floored with her reaction the the different therapy and gave him a bear hug at the supermarket when she ran into him a week after getting set up. I'll see if I can find the atricle, I know I saved it somewhere. And if you are seeing a general practicioner for your problem ask for a referral to an endocrinologist in your area or mediacl group, they speak this type of language and understand glandular chemistry like no Gp ever will.

Good lucjk and happy racing!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodenshoes,

From the female perspective... I had thyroid carcinoma (papillary) 4 years ago and had my thyroid taken out. It took a while to find the optimum hormone level (a long year! -- from bad experiences w/ docs and impatience), but once you are there you should be fine. If you are lacking energy, gaining weight, losing hair, cold all the time and being depressed your level is definitely low. Work with you endocrinologist to get it up. Once it’s normal you will have more energy and will see the pounds coming out J Eat up lots of dark green veggies, fish and iodine rich food to stimulate your lazy thyroid!

Good luck!

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply