Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Three weeks to first sprint...taper?
Quote | Reply
My first event is in 3-weeks and I feel like I am at peek performance. Currently biking 60 miles, swimming 3 miles and running 25 miles weekly and have been doing so for several months. Do I taper for a sprint and if so, when do I start and how do I do it? I don't want to be fried on race day and am feeling little overtrained if anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Three weeks to first sprint...taper? [jelder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't start a radical taper. It's only a sprint, so it doesn't take that long to taper...especially if you've been working diligently for so long. If you are feeling a bit worn down, you should cut back for a little, not as a taper, but as a recovery. I taper for a sprint for only about a week. But, it's better to be undertrained than overtrained. As far as how to do it, I'd suggest less volume and more intensity about two weeks out. The final week I keep my regular workout schedule, but only warm up, do a hard effort or two, and go home. The day before the race, I do a very short triathlon where I slowly warm up in each respective phase, go a little harder than race pace for a few minutes in each phase, then go home. You just have to experiment to see what your body responds to the best. I do find that the worse I feel in my pre-race activities, as far as feeling sluggishness, the better I do in the race.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply