Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on periodization and phases across multiple races?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I’ve decided to move to longer distances this year and have registered for two 70.3 races: the first in early June (Rapperswil) and the second in late October. With the experience of a first 70.3, I’d say the October race is likely to be more of an “A” profile but I want to treat this first 70.3 in the right way – it’s a first after all and I want to avoid being trashed on the distance…

Having done training in a fairly ad hoc way so far – I plan weekly but am probably missing the longer term perspective – I somewhat struggle to build periodization and phases around those two peaks (did some web searches but couldn't find much as we're not in the typical A/B profile). My initial gut feel was to plan an Olympic distance race in late April with ~5 weeks to go to Rapperswil. Race Rapperswil and then take 1-2 recovery weeks before getting into another cycle for the October race with a build-up race in early August (Sprint), a holiday break in mid August (can't be moved) and another race mid September (Olympic distance duathlon).

Does the above sound reasonable? Any advice on how to plan around the build, peak and transition phases?

Thanks,
B
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on periodization and phases across multiple races? [Bertrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell us how much were you racing in the past? What distances, how often?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on periodization and phases across multiple races? [Bertrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bertrand wrote:
Hi,

I’ve decided to move to longer distances this year and have registered for two 70.3 races: the first in early June (Rapperswil) and the second in late October. With the experience of a first 70.3, I’d say the October race is likely to be more of an “A” profile but I want to treat this first 70.3 in the right way – it’s a first after all and I want to avoid being trashed on the distance…

Having done training in a fairly ad hoc way so far – I plan weekly but am probably missing the longer term perspective – I somewhat struggle to build periodization and phases around those two peaks (did some web searches but couldn't find much as we're not in the typical A/B profile). My initial gut feel was to plan an Olympic distance race in late April with ~5 weeks to go to Rapperswil. Race Rapperswil and then take 1-2 recovery weeks before getting into another cycle for the October race with a build-up race in early August (Sprint), a holiday break in mid August (can't be moved) and another race mid September (Olympic distance duathlon).

Does the above sound reasonable? Any advice on how to plan around the build, peak and transition phases?

Thanks,
B

a spring/fall combo is super easy to do-you don't even need to periodize. Just do your normal build/peak and taper.

I did 3 HIM races (fourth this weekend in Miami) this year-most for me by far. Syracuse (mid June), Placid (early Sept), AC (late Sept). No issue with complete taper/recovery and rebuild to volume from the June race to early Sept. It was trickier doing a second HIM 2 weeks later. I won't comment on my taper/recovery since it's not applicable to you.

Your plan sounds just fine. GL.
Quote Reply