Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel
Quote | Reply
Looking for people's thought/opinions/experiences with the Scott Addict Gravel. Any and all would be appreciated.

A little backstory: been looking at buying a gravel bike for more than a year now. Waited once Covid hit as didn't want to over-extend my funds, but then turned out I was fine (no work slowdown whatsoever). Then I bought a ski house, so have been waiting while I rebuilt the coffers.

I'm back to the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Following some of Slowman's writings, I have been leaning at going with an Obed. But, I recently came across a Scott Addict Gravel online. It's a holdover 2020, so no miles, being sold by a reputable shop for about 33% off MSRP. Been watching it for more than a month now, still available.

Smart buy? What's everyone's thoughts on this? The price on this and the model Obed I am looking at are essentially the same ($200 difference, maybe?) and the same drivetrain. The Scott is 2 lbs lighter, if that makes a difference, and appears to not fit as large a tire as the Obed. Might not accept 650's, a little hard to find a definite on that.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Scott Addict Gravel strikes me as the "oh shit we better have a gravel bike in our lineup because it's popular now" gravel bike. Personally I prefer something that's been specifically designed as a gravel bike from the ground up such as the an Obed or Salsa (which I ride).

p.s. The Addict definitely does not fit 650's (which I love love love on my Warbird).
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own three Scott bikes, a plasma 5, a foil and a spark and couldn't be happier. Can't speak about the gravel one in particular though.

Relative to the gravel being an afterthought, I doubt it, as they've been doing cyclo cross bikes way before gravel was a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Relative to the gravel being an afterthought, I doubt it, as they've been doing cyclo cross bikes way before gravel was a thing.

Trust me, I know. I own a Scott CX bike (my dedicated trainer bike now) but a CX bike does not make a gravel bike. Just because they (or any of the other big brands) have been into CX for years doesn't mean they were prepared for the explosion of gravel in the last few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott make nice quality bikes that ride very well. The addict gravel is just their adapted addict CX. Same frame different components namely gearing. It would make a very good "fast" gravel bike if that's what you're looking for, but would lack the functionality of a dedicated gravel bike on more challenging off road. It would be a very good road/CX/light gravel cross over for more serious training rides. If you want to go adventuring and enjoy the ride then probably better to look elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott does not have huge clearance, but otherwise the bike is solid. Light and nice ride quality. I rode one until I was hit by a car on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooof... sorry to hear that.

My roadie is a Madone, so I'm kinda spoiled on the light bikes. I know it isn't the be-all andend-all, though, so good to know it's a comfortable ride.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Trek Emonda disc that is 7.0 kg- So I also like a light bike.
Really it is component, wheel, tire and gearing choices that affect the weight of a gravel bike.
A gravel bike with low enough gears and big meat will always be significantly heavier than a road bike.
Under 18 lb with big tires and low gears is light for a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
The Scott Addict Gravel strikes me as the "oh shit we better have a gravel bike in our lineup because it's popular now" gravel bike. Personally I prefer something that's been specifically designed as a gravel bike from the ground up such as the an Obed or Salsa (which I ride).

p.s. The Addict definitely does not fit 650's (which I love love love on my Warbird).
I'm not sure how much an Obed was designed from the ground up as a purposeful gravel bike, as it has the *exact* same geometry as the all-road (maybe they consider them the same general use just different drivetrains/gearing? I honestly don't know). Also, from my research, the Obed is an open-source frame - guess it is a Carbonda 696?

My big question here, though, is something I completely do not understand and haven't found a good 'splainer for it out there: why can a bike *not* fit 650's if it fits 700's already? Just something I cannot wrap my dense skull around...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
My big question here, though, is something I completely do not understand and haven't found a good 'splainer for it out there: why can a bike *not* fit 650's if it fits 700's already? Just something I cannot wrap my dense skull around...

Because there's little point in riding 650's unless you can ride wider tires than a 700 counterpart. 47 is the narrowest width you really see around on gravel setups and most people seem to have settled around 50 mm / 2 inches for their 650 sizing. If something doesn't fit 650's, it's because of width restrictions (due to the chainstays), not diameter. The Scott has lame tire clearance for a modern gravel bike, so no way would it be worth going to a 650 tire because 40 mm is about as wide as would fit..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Scott Addict Gravel. Also got 40% off and upgraded 1x, di2, carbon salsa bar, etc. I do love how light and fast it is, but the clearance in the seat stay is pretty narrow. Could be rider error - gravel/mud/rocks sticking and scrapped the paint down to the carbon, while running 38s. Waiting to see what Scott says or have someone fix it.

If you’re looking for a racing gravel bike, this bike is money. If you’re looking for an adventure bike, I’d look elsewhere.
Last edited by: Dr. Seuss: Feb 6, 21 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Looking for people's thought/opinions/experiences with the Scott Addict Gravel. Any and all would be appreciated.

A little backstory: been looking at buying a gravel bike for more than a year now. Waited once Covid hit as didn't want to over-extend my funds, but then turned out I was fine (no work slowdown whatsoever). Then I bought a ski house, so have been waiting while I rebuilt the coffers.

I'm back to the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Following some of Slowman's writings, I have been leaning at going with an Obed. But, I recently came across a Scott Addict Gravel online. It's a holdover 2020, so no miles, being sold by a reputable shop for about 33% off MSRP. Been watching it for more than a month now, still available.

Smart buy? What's everyone's thoughts on this? The price on this and the model Obed I am looking at are essentially the same ($200 difference, maybe?) and the same drivetrain. The Scott is 2 lbs lighter, if that makes a difference, and appears to not fit as large a tire as the Obed. Might not accept 650's, a little hard to find a definite on that.

I own one and love it. Great geometry. Ride it for gravel and cross as well as road. It does it all. Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
I have a Scott Addict Gravel. Also got 40% off and upgraded 1x, di2, carbon salsa bar, etc. I do love how light and fast it is, but the clearance in the seat stay is pretty narrow. Could be rider error - gravel/mud/rocks sticking and scrapped the paint down to the carbon, while running 38s. Waiting to see what Scott says or have someone fix it.

If you’re looking for a racing gravel bike, this bike is money. If you’re looking for an adventure bike, I’d look elsewhere.

What tires are you riding? I'm using schwalbe g-one all around 38's most of the time with no issues with mud/gravel. Also ride Donnelly EMP 38's with no issue. I agree it's def not a long distance adventure/backpacking bike but it's not advertised that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running the same Schwalbe g-one all around 38s. That’s why I’m surprised with the crack. The clearance on the top tube does make room a frame bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my everyday rider is an OPEN WI.DE, and my wife's gravel bike is a scott addict gravel. she's going to transition to an OPEN WI.DE as soon as i can get the parts to hang on it. this is due to the need to run fatter tires, tho, she'll have 2 sets of wheels: road and gravel, which will be 700c and 650b respectively. basically, the OPEN WI.DE will replace both her current addict gravel and her giant defy (her current road bike).

the addict gravel is fine, as long as you don't need fatter tires. she's got 35mm on it, but there's a fair number of rides she can't do that i do because of that bike she's got now. so, i think it just depends on what gravel is to you, which is largely a function of where in the world you live.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
my everyday rider is an OPEN WI.DE, and my wife's gravel bike is a scott addict gravel. she's going to transition to an OPEN WI.DE as soon as i can get the parts to hang on it. this is due to the need to run fatter tires, tho, she'll have 2 sets of wheels: road and gravel, which will be 700c and 650b respectively. basically, the OPEN WI.DE will replace both her current addict gravel and her giant defy (her current road bike).

the addict gravel is fine, as long as you don't need fatter tires. she's got 35mm on it, but there's a fair number of rides she can't do that i do because of that bike she's got now. so, i think it just depends on what gravel is to you, which is largely a function of where in the world you live.

It was almost a flip of a coin for me between the 3T ExploroRace and the Open WIDE. I ended up just ordering the WIDE since I can run slightly wider tires with just a 700 wheelset and if I decide I want to go wider, I’ll still have that option.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on a Scott Addict Gravel [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Slowman wrote:

It was almost a flip of a coin for me between the 3T ExploroRace and the Open WIDE. I ended up just ordering the WIDE since I can run slightly wider tires with just a 700 wheelset and if I decide I want to go wider, I’ll still have that option.

that would be a coinflip for me too. the one advantage to the 3T is that it might make a better road bike, when used for road (with road wheels). but i don't know. i'd have to have one and check it side-by-side to the OPEN. i have no complaints about the OPEN.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply