Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon
Quote | Reply
So I am looking to get a new pair of racing shoes last year I used the Brooks T6 racer I really enjoyed them but I think its time to move to something different I have been training in the Asics GEl Hyper speed 4 which offers more minimal support (transitioning to minimalist running) and really like the feeling of being light on my feet so what do you think should I go for racing in the Asics or another type of racing shoe?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [multisport101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did a survey/review of three Brooks lightweight, performance oriented shoes. One thing Brooks has done is incorporate some valid support features into one design (the Brooks Racer ST5) while reducing the weight of the uppers by removing plastic eyelets and using lighter fabrics.

It sounds like you may do well with a shoe that has less sole. There are a ton of offerings now. The challenge may be to find a light shoe that still offers reasonable motion control and support.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Brooks ST4 is heavier and more supportive than a Hyperspeed (I have run/raced in both and will be wearing my Hyperspeeds this weekend at the AUS Long Course Champs).

If you want something lighter go for the Piranha, I tried it and found it way too light for me, but it may be up your alley.

Quote | Reply
Actually the real challenge is finding anything wider than a D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried these:

http://www.kswiss.com/...ed_Slv_Blkirnmn.html

I'm thinking of getting a pair, they look interesting.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
Has anyone tried these:

http://www.kswiss.com/...ed_Slv_Blkirnmn.html

I'm thinking of getting a pair, they look interesting.
There too heavy to race in unless maybe it's an ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [LuckyMe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyMe wrote:

http://www.mentorwwllc.com/global-us/

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [TriBlank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presently race in an Asiccs racing flat, maybe I'll be staying with that (they are lighter). Asiccs has a flat that weights under 5 oz as well.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [quellish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quellish wrote:
LuckyMe wrote:
http://www.mentorwwllc.com/global-us/[/quote[/url]]

Uhh.. ok??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thought of the nike may fly? how long are your races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There too heavy to race in unless maybe it's an ironman.

I call bull shit on this. Blindfold 20 triathletes, put various shoes on them. 19 out of 20 couldn't tell you if a shoe was 8 or 8.5 or 9 or 9.5oz.

I've seen 10oz shoes that run faster the 8.5oz shoes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 8, 11 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
multisport101 wrote:
So I am looking to get a new pair of racing shoes last year I used the Brooks T6 racer I really enjoyed them but I think its time to move to something different I have been training in the Asics GEl Hyper speed 4 which offers more minimal support (transitioning to minimalist running) and really like the feeling of being light on my feet so what do you think should I go for racing in the Asics or another type of racing shoe?

I'm in a similar position transitioning to more minimalist running. Have been running in Asics Trabuco's (bulky trail shoes) as my training shoe, but recently bought a pair of Asics Gel Hyper Speed 4s, put on 6 miles and then ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago (1:33:xx, fast for me lately). I love these shoes, but my calves are a little sore - probably moved over to them a bit too quickly. Anyway, am switching back and forth right now between the Trabuco's and the Hyper Speeds, and will slowly wane off the Trabuco's and train (and race) only in the Hyper Speeds. They are light enough, but as konaexpress wrote:
konaexpress wrote:
Asiccs has a flat that weights under 5 oz as well.
I think that's a reference to the Asics Piranha SP 3 which are even lighter and have a slightly smaller heel/toe offset (14/10) than the Hyper Speeds (17/10). I may well try out the Piranhas after I adjust to the Hyper Speeds.

Happy trails...

http://stylishnilesh.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 8.9 ounces is not a heavy shoe whatsoever. That shoe could be used in any distance triathlon. Just a completely ridiculous post!
Last edited by: SpeedConcept1: Mar 8, 11 20:29
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually like what you have to say. But, actually, I have done exactly those types of studies and runners (including triathletes) can tell a difference with shoes that look exactly the same and only vary in weight. Now, maybe, that does not equate to the fastest time for that athlete because of poor fit or poor execution in the shoe design, I could maybe agree with you on that.

------
Scott McMillan, M.Sc
Twitter@Factor9Coaching | Factor9Coaching.com | Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer shoes that have a full midsole/outsole, no cavity in the midfoot region. For, that reason, the Scott T2 Comp are awesome. Click the bottom of the shoe in the bottom left corner to see what I mean by a full midsole/outsole.

------
Scott McMillan, M.Sc
Twitter@Factor9Coaching | Factor9Coaching.com | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Racing Shoe For Triathlon [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been told by some that the shoe doesn't have enough lateral support (at least for those who i've talked to).
I'm looking at either another pair of zoots or these:
http://www.kswiss.com/...v_Blzngyllw_Blk.html

picked one up today, going to give them a shot here in the near future at the store, just got them in.. nice shoe.
Quote Reply