Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course?
Quote | Reply
I kind of like it, but I have not done the "old" run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [AquaBikePatti65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old course was pretty soulless and forgettable. New one looks like an improvement, but a bit wonky with all the turns. There's just not a great run course option there unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in downtown Louisville and run the new run course all the time. I do enjoy running along the river, but the Greenway path is only like 6 ft wide(if that) and bumpy in place. That is going to very tight with everyone running. I wouldn't recommend any family or friends to watch from the Lannan Park area or Greenway Paths. The city has recently started tearing down homeless encampments in the city, which has force them to start taking up places along the greenway. I also saw a used needle in the middle of the Greenway path near Lannan Park earlier this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
The old course was pretty soulless and forgettable.
Quote:

I've done 5 IMs including Louisville 2x (Both in August). IMHO, by the time you get to the run, all courses are "soulless & forgettable".

At least the old course was straightforward......out, back then out, back. The new Louisville run course looks a lot like IMMD (which I've also done) but not quite as bad.

I've always wanted to go back to Louisville. Although this won't be a deal breaker, at first glance I think I would like the old course better. I'm not a fan of out & backs mid loop. I understand that turn arounds at each end are necessary, but these types of courses can get confusing.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, the mobile website still shows the old course. Spent a couple of minutes trying to figure out what was different about it.

Looks like it should still be flat and fast like the old course. That 1 block uphill run on 7th street at the end is going to feel wonderful, but it's short.

Will now have bikers and runners sharing the same portion of the course for a little bit on River Road. Will be interesting to see how they separate the traffic.

This might be my favorite part though:
Turn-By-Turn Directions wrote:
Right turn on angled path (before Witherspoon) toward chickens

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:

This might be my favorite part though:
Turn-By-Turn Directions wrote:
Right turn on angled path (before Witherspoon) toward chickens
[/quote]
That's like a William Carlos Williams poem for Ironman

Having done the old, soulless course, I agree that it was time for a refresh. The old advertisements of "run with Louisville coeds cheering you on!" "Run through Churchill Downs!" are definitely fake news these days, as there is no one out on a Sunday near the University, and running through Churchill Downs means you can navigate through roadwork while smelling the manure from the stalls.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old course was darn near flat (281 feet), this one shows 520 feet of elevation, with the climb from the river at the very end of about 100 feet. It looks a large percentage of the out-and-back to the west is on the greenway, and while I know nothing about this greenway, Google street view shows it in several places and it looks to be about 8 feet wide, and not particularly flat asphalt. Plus, how dark will it get, for all the BOP folks? It seems like it could get super congested with people going both directions on that. I can't imagine two-way traffic on the greenway portion of the Chatty course. The directions also include "turn on to the gravel" and "merge through the guardrail" which both sound exciting!

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
The old course was pretty soulless and forgettable. New one looks like an improvement, but a bit wonky with all the turns. There's just not a great run course option there unfortunately.

Funny you would say "soulless." It looks to me that for vast portions of the new course, any spectators will be few and far between. on the old course there were lots of souls out there on lawn chairs -- even spraying water from garden hoses when the race was in August.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The change was made to preserve the race itself IMHO. The cost of shutting down city streets for a day was exorbitant. Two police officers at every intersection was really weighing this race down cost wise. You can't place volunteers at intersections. Someone would end up getting hit by a car or at the very least the race disrupted.

The new course really lines up with what I see at other races while watching FB Watch. Green ways and parks.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on New IMLou Run Course? [mrgroantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrgroantri wrote:
I also saw a used needle in the middle of the Greenway path near Lannan Park earlier this week.

It was probably from people out training on the new course... you’ll most likely see more of them popping up as we get closer to October./pink (sort of)

Quote | Reply
I agree with you about the money, but also, mrgroantri is right. I think it's going to be a nightmare of a course. Especially when you consider it's a 2 loop course on narrow paths (especially west of downtown). I understand greenways are the way to go from a money standpoint, but you also have to think logistics of size.

Also, running that direction is now my new motivation for being done by sundown...

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply