Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on CDA
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd write my thoughts while they are still fresh before I start my drive home.

Venue - very reminicent of Penticton and the people and volunteers were extremely nice and helpful. Who would have known that it would turn out to be the hottest day of the year in CDA?

Swim - great water temp and conditions, though the first turn was very crowded seeing as how it was only 4 or 5 hundred meters out. Earlier in the week the chop was really bad(I think I swallowed a gallon of water during the warmup swims) and looked even worse the day after the event but fortunately it was calm the day before and day of the race. My time: 1:16, a pr for me.

Bike - Driving the course, there didn't seem to be too much climbing but given there were two loops, it seemed like there was almost as much climbing as Canada. Unfortunately the corresponding downhills had lots of tight turns so it was hard to make up the time lost climbing. Turns, lots of turns, made it hard to get into a rhythm on the bike. Also there was a big headwind coming back during each loop. I saw lots of drafters out there. We didn't get as much tailwind going out as we were in the hills surrounded by trees during much of that segment. The heat started at the end of the first loop. Unfortunately, I chose to ignore my heart rate monitor and the forecast and positive splitted by 33 minutes (2:37 and 3:06 respectively). Split: 5:43, 20 minutes shy of my goal

Run - walking, lots of walking. I don't think I've seen so much walking in a race. By this time it was about 95 degrees. Only about 10 percent of the course was shaded, but thankfully the locals came out in force with the sprinklers, hoses, and water guns. The run course was very scenic overall and the volunteers were good. The one climb on the run wasn't really that bad but in that heat seemed terribly tough. I didn't walk at all during my first IM, and during this one(my second) I probably walked 30 times. We got some cloud cover finally and I felt like I could run again. I wanted to run 3:30. My time: 4:07

Final time - 11:16, about 45 minutes shy of my goal, but good for 168th place. At first I was disappointed, but on a day with 250 DNF's, a day when only 94 people broke 4 hours for the marathon and only 120 broke 11 hours overall, I'll take it.

Overall I think it's great venue, though I have to admit, I'm not overly fond of the bike course. I don't think it has to be a slow course. I think it all comes down to the conditions on race day. The high today is supposed to be 75. Funny.
Quote Reply