Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX?
Quote | Reply
Wanted to see if anyone knows this new Waco course, maybe locals around the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [ElHeffe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the thread about the end of the Austin 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim and run will essentially be the same as the tri Waco Olympic that’s held every summer. Swim is in the Brazos river. It’s a pretty dirty river but no real current. Run will feature 2 trips through Cameron Park which is incredibly hilly, especially for Waco. Probably 1.5 miles of hills and ~200-250’ of elevation gain per lap. Not sure about the bike, apparently it will be a completely different course. FWIW the tri Waco Bike course was extremely fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear it is very hilly, to the point where if you are running less than 8:15 min/mile you maybe faster walking up hill. I am in The Woodlands, so i ay drive up there for a weekend trip and check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [jdd112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They use this run course for several races in waco. I think the elevation I have for this is overly smoothed there is a bigger dip and climb over the first climb, but my wife used this for a 10k a few months back and felt pretty good with the paces up the hill. I ran this at 40 min - 10k just to show the difference on the up hill.

Link

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Dec 11, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, so if i am reading this right it looks like you slowed by about 1:30 min/mile go up the hill! My last IM70.3 avg was about 8:30 min/mile .... so that would put me at 10 min/mile (yikes!). I am in Houston and we don't have any real hills to run, I will definitely head out there for a couple of weekends and get some hills in!

Thanks for the details.

James
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'll probably be walking that, certainly on the second loop. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah this is not what I actually did, just an algorithmic pacing plan on what you "should" (or might want to slow down) for that gradient assuming a flat Graded Pace.

Looking at my wife's details from the race she averaged 8:02 and slowed to right around 10:00/mile on the climb.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 45 min run split at Tri Waco and found myself walking during parts of the hills. My biggest problem was I had no idea they were coming, I just figured it was Waco and it would be flat as a pancake...wrong!!! I probably wouldn't have taken it out at sub 40 min pace if I knew what lie ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 45 and have been running for 2.5 years - I just ran a 1:31 HM. Do you have any advice on how to train for hills?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how qualified I am to give training advice...I'm not a coach and just happened to be a decent runner, but I'd say unsurprisingly there's no substitute to running hills if you want to get better at running hills. When training for races that I know have hilly runs I will typically throw in a hill repeat workout each week. If you live somewhere flat get creative. Find a parking garage or overpass (with a sidewalk obviously) to get some hill repeats in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a good idea, I will also ask around my local running club.

Thanks! James.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes also not a Coach though there are plenty that use our platform! I do tend to prescribe to the train for the event, so if it's a 6% hill for 250 meters try to find something you can do to train in similar conditions (even if that's cranking the treadmill up and seeing how different paces feel for those gradients). Also course recon is crucial for pacing. As mentioned earlier if you shoot out at sub 40 then hit the literally gradient wall it can really have a big impact for the rest of the race. You might see some of the same people you passed coming back by in the back half.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not doing this race but also in The Woodlands. Treadmill is your friend for hill training. I'm lucky in that my office is just under 2.5 miles from the house. I'll routinely run to the office as a warmup, jump on the treadmill for a hill set and then run home for cool down. I'm usually back home by about 6:30 to get ready for work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gd28 wrote:
Swim is in the Brazos river.

I researched this river and found that it is has alligators. How can swimmers possibly be safe in this water?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alligators don't like hanging in the faster moving main channel of the Brazos. They like the still water of the lakes and ponds. There's virtually no chance of there being a problem. And gators get spooked by large numbers of people. The most gator you'll see around there is a basket of gator nuggets and fries at a local restaurant. Gator doesn't taste great, btw. Kinda blah.

The Woodlands and other races around Houston have way higher gator count than what you might get near Waco, and there's never a issue with those.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 28, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The Woodlands and other races around Houston have way higher gator count than what you might get near Waco, and there's never a issue with those.[/quote]
How many gators have you seen in Lake Woodlands?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bayou has hills to run in HTX
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjbruiser wrote:

How many gators have you seen in Lake Woodlands?

Maybe few over many years. They caught an 8 footer just one lake over right before IMTX 2015. https://www.thewoodlandstx.com/...ds-pond.php?p=241671

Here's another in Conroe, just one city to the north. https://www.click2houston.com/...od_20151123142830173

And the lake north of that in Huntsville State Park is chock full of gators. Can see them all day long. When they get too big (over 10 foot?) They move them south to Brazoria County where they can chill with the monster size ones in peace.

Since it's colder to the north, if there's gators north of you, there's definitely gators where you are. And with all the flooding, the big boys have been shuffled around and there's certainly some big ones were people thought there weren't any before. Always smart to keep your eyes open and don't walk your dogs along the shoreline. Gators love dogs. :(

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 29, 18 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
gd28 wrote:

I researched this river and found that it is has alligators. How can swimmers possibly be safe in this water?
I just assume every body of water in TX has gators.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Petrarch wrote:
gd28 wrote:

I just assume every body of water in TX has gators.

And / Or sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Tons of sharks. If you did the 70.3 in Galveston, you've done a tri with bull sharks nearby and those are bad mofos. They tend to bite first and ask questions later. Jaws is actually based on attacks from a bull shark that swam so far upstream, it was in a creek. The "cruisers" typically stay out around the 3rd sand bar though.

But again, if you're smart, you won't have any problems. Only one person in 200 years has died from a (known) gator attack in Texas. Here's a link to images of the park further down the Brazos River where they relocate the bigger gators as they find them. Swimming there would be, uh, extremely unwise. You might last 2 minutes. Maybe.

https://www.google.com/...biw=1379&bih=776

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jdd112 wrote:
I am 45 and have been running for 2.5 years - I just ran a 1:31 HM. Do you have any advice on how to train for hills?

My "hill training" for IM 70.3 St George went something like the below, and I had 4th fastest run split in my AG (usually a large and very competitive one):

One hour of strength training, 80%+ legs with variations of weighted squats (including single-leg) and lunges, dead lifts etc

Followed immediately by treadmill hill simulation workout at intensity, here are two examples that were particularly trying (no pun inteded), noting that my MGP and HIMGP are the same (and I pretty much used HIM pace for all the intensity intervals on these - LMK if you want the specific paces, my open HM is close enough to yours, 1:28-1:30) and you can also check incline + pace conversion charts for treadmill running to make sure you're using the right efforts (hard enough that you want to quit, but still doable)

12:00 warmup, including 1:00 at tempo pace at 5:00 and 7:00. Between 10:00 and 12:00, work up to a marathon goal pace +5%, then 20:00 at that pace as
4x
2:00 at 1.0 incline
1:00 at 2.0
1:00 at 3.0
1:00 at 4.0
Cooldown 3:00

10:00 warmup (incline at 1.0; gradually work up to brisk pace)
2x
1:00 at 2.0 incline
1:00 at 3.0
1:00 at 4.0
1:00 at 5.0
1:00 at 1.0
3:00 easy

10:00 warmup with 1:00 at tempo pace at 6:00 and 8:00 marks.
16:00 as 8x(1:00 at 6.0, 1:00 at 0.0)
4:00 cooldown
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on 70.3 Waco, TX? [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try the treadmill with the inclines ... makes good sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
gd28 wrote:

don't be first...and don't be last

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply

Prev Next