Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners
Quote | Reply
The Omni seems like a pretty neat bike, but there are not much outside reviews on it. Being so niche, Iā€™d like to hear what actual owners think of the bike overall and itā€™s peculiarities in comparison to other bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a size run for aero testing clients. Universally, everyone who rides it, amateur to elite, loves it. Using TriRig's Omni Ultimate build, you get what is arguably the fastest and easily adjustable bike in the world for under $8K. For the life of me, I don't understand why there aren't more out there. It should be on everyone's list for consideration.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure: I'm sponsored by Tririg. I've done my best to review everything I own fairly so hopefully my opinion isn't discounted.

Awhile ago I did a little video breakdown of my and my wife's Omni's. They've undergone some changes since then.

Here's my breakdown and I'm happy to answer any additional questions:

Great tire clearance despite being rim brake. With the Omega brakes you can pretty easily run 28s on most wheels and not have issues. Personally I race fairly narrow wheels (25mm wide), so I just run a 23mm front and either a 23 or 25mm rear.

If you're coming from a double diamond bike, it will definitely feel flexy when pushing big watts out of the saddle. I personally haven't noticed any difference in climbing, sprinting, or accelerating speed, but it's also a race bike so it's not like I'm doing a ton of any of that. It looks kind of sketchy doing 1000w+ on the trainer and seeing the monofoil sway back and forth, but it's rated for that and I've never felt the least bit unsafe or like the bike can't handle it.

Fit range is fantastic despite not having an XL frame (not an issue for most people). This is of course mostly down to the cockpit setup, but to get an Omni without an Alpha One would seem sacrilege. I'm 6'3" and have a solidly comfortable and fast position on the large frame.

Storage is just average compared to some of the newer tri bikes out there, but perfectly functional to me over any distance. I usually race with a basic cage between the arms, an elite aero bottle on the bosses just in front of the seat post like this, and then either one or two cages behind the seat, depending on distance and on course support. The Beta rear cage mount makes it really easy to go between cage numbers and is rock solid stability wise. The bento area on the top tube is fairly small, but fits more than enough solid nutrition for the 70.3 racing I do. I usually put 3 full packages of Gatorade endurance carb chews in there with space to spare.

Fairly easy to build, though with no dedicated internal di2 storage you kind of just have to shove it in the frame. I ran it mechanical 1x most of 2020 and then swapped over to a 1x di2 setup around October or so.

Other than that, most of it comes down to aesthetic choice I'd say. The Omni Ultimate bundle is a fantastic deal, made even better by the fact that it has two Omega Ones now. Those aero cranks are awesome also.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Feb 10, 21 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
......For the life of me, I don't understand why there aren't more out there. It should be on everyone's list for consideration.

I'll take a stab at this.....

1. Outside of Slowtwitch readers, probably a very small percentage of age group triathletes even know the bike exists.
2. Related to #1, they aren't sold in any (many?) bike shops. So a lot of people again will never know they exist, and even if they did, a lot of people want to buy their bike from a shop.
3. No disc brakes - I realize a lot of other companies are also still on rim brakes, but obviously not having disc brakes is gonna automatically exclude it from a lot of folks' shopping lists in this day and age.
4. No internal/integrated flat kit storage

I was in the market recently, and #3 & #4 took it off my list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the reasonā€™s might be that is still rim brake. What we saw in just 2 years is also the complete shift in sales in tri bikes to disc.
Consumers just donā€™t want to buy rim brakes anymore, they feel they buy ā€˜ oldā€™ product, canā€™t switch wheels with their relative new road bike, etc.
It went just way faster then expected, but even starter athletes that we get in for fitā€™s and we show them the entry level Felt B-series or IA rim brake say no go. They go immediately to disc brake models.

Another reason might be that it is just not a ā€˜bigā€™ name. I know the guy who tried to get Ceepo into the market here in the Netherlands fir the last 2 years, just didnā€™t work.
When we showed the bikes a possible fit solutions they look at it and then asked; what about Cervelo, Felt, QR, etc, etc.

When people spend a lot of money they want to buy something that they know, feels ā€˜safeā€™ and backed by solid companies.
Not saying that TriRig isnā€™t a solid company, not at all, but very well known and not having the image of the bigger brands.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the last 10 years I've had

Trek Speed Concept Gen 1
Trek Speed Concept Gen 2
Dimond Brilliant
Dimond Marquise (my race bike)
TriRig Omni (my training bike)

For pure ride quality it rides every bit as nice as my Trek SC. The Dimonds ride nicer than the Omni. I don't know if it's the beam or what but the Dimonds are more comfy and I have the Omni set up exactly the same as the Marquise as far as stack/reach and all that. Same exact saddles (Dash Stage) and components (12-speed SRAM eTap AXS). The TriRig rides really nice though just not as nice as the Dimond.

As Jim Manton mentioned above, the Omni is simply one of the easiest bikes in the world to build and adjust, especially if you have the Alpha One bars.

The only con to the Omni is storage space but I'm used to the Marquise in that regard and have been spoiled.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 8, 21 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that beam frames do provide a very real comfort benefit. Now, I'm not sure if it was just my bizzare Shadow-R or if it's more likely with any beam frame, but that bike was sooooo prone to speed wobble, which is something I've never had to even think about with my Omni. Forgot to mention that part in my initial response: crosswind stability is absolutely amazing on the Omni.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I have a size run for aero testing clients. Universally, everyone who rides it, amateur to elite, loves it. Using TriRig's Omni Ultimate build, you get what is arguably the fastest and easily adjustable bike in the world for under $8K. For the life of me, I don't understand why there aren't more out there. It should be on everyone's list for consideration.

Iā€™d be willing to be a large percentage of the triathlon population has NO idea what Tririg is. I canā€™t recall the last time I saw a TriRig part on a bike (let alone the Omni) in my area.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 8, 21 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I agree that beam frames do provide a very real comfort benefit. Now, I'm not sure if it was just my bizzare Shadow-R or if it's more likely with any beam frame, but that bike was sooooo prone to speed wobble, which is something I've never had to even think about with my Omni. Forgot to mention that part in my initial response: crosswind stability is absolutely amazing on the Omni.

All due respect, this is what really sucks about believing what a sponsored athlete says about their bike gear.

Did you ever post on slowtwitch about the ceepo speed wobble while you were still using the bike?

I do see posts by you saying re the ceepo "....my bike is now built and is ridiculously awesome, emphasis on the ridiculous."

But now its the Omni that is awesome, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

All due respect, this is what really sucks about believing what a sponsored athlete says about their bike gear.

Did you ever post on slowtwitch about the ceepo speed wobble while you were still using the bike?

I do see posts by you saying re the ceepo "....my bike is now built and is ridiculously awesome, emphasis on the ridiculous."

Well for starters, I was never sponsored by Ceepo. I bought the frame on discount. No contracts.

Secondly, regardless of whether it's stated in a contract or not (which I think it usually is), the right move is usually to alert the company first and give them a chance to fix it or address it before starting shit on the internet.

Thirdly, I don't do much of my riding outside and when I wanted to climb, I didn't usually take a 27lb tri bike with a 1x 56t chainring. The first time I noticed the speed wobble was on this ride on September 29, only 3 weeks before my last ever race on the bike. Never had any sketchy descents in races so it wasn't an issue.

Fourthly, no one owns this bike and no one asks about it. If someone had asked after I noticed it, I would have 100% have answered. Not exactly worth starting a thread about on it's own though for the 6 other people in the world who have ever ridden that bike. Ceepo honestly didn't care about that bike, or the fact that I was willing to ride it, which is too bad. I liked how they innovated and I still like that bike for dead flat riding.

So sure, absolutely people will hide or mislead about sponsors, but this wasn't that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
27 pounds?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
27 pounds?
Lol. Correct. The Shadow-R, built up as seen here, was somewhere between 26 and 27 pounds before nutrition. Good thing I've never been a weight weenie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
27 pounds?

Lol. Correct. The Shadow-R, built up as seen here, was somewhere between 26 and 27 pounds before nutrition. Good thing I've never been a weight weenie.

Man, was this bike designed by the same team that birthed Pontiac Aztec?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Well for starters, I was never sponsored by Ceepo. I bought the frame on discount. No contracts.

Secondly, regardless of whether it's stated in a contract or not (which I think it usually is), the right move is usually to alert the company first and give them a chance to fix it or address it before starting shit on the internet.

Thirdly, I don't do much of my riding outside and when I wanted to climb, I didn't usually take a 27lb tri bike with a 1x 56t chainring. The first time I noticed the speed wobble was on this ride on September 29, only 3 weeks before my last ever race on the bike. Never had any sketchy descents in races so it wasn't an issue.

Fourthly, no one owns this bike and no one asks about it. If someone had asked after I noticed it, I would have 100% have answered. Not exactly worth starting a thread about on it's own though for the 6 other people in the world who have ever ridden that bike. Ceepo honestly didn't care about that bike, or the fact that I was willing to ride it, which is too bad. I liked how they innovated and I still like that bike for dead flat riding.

So sure, absolutely people will hide or mislead about sponsors, but this wasn't that.

Fair enough, and thanks for the response.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. Around here in SoCal, you see TriRig brakes everywhere, and not just on the bikes of triathletes. Though, I would agree that many don't know about the other great offerings including, and perhaps most notably, the Omni. I always have an Omni sitting out in my fit studio and it never fails to generate a response form anyone who comes in. Most have no idea it's a TriRig. Doesn't matter what kind of cyclist they are, it generates a conversation every time.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one 11/2019 but haven't raced it yet (thanks Covid!). Nothing peculiar about it as far as I'm concerned. It looks great - super clean. Hardest part about building it up (di2) was routing the wires from headset to BB but once I figured out a routing solution with string and washers it was fine. works fine on the trainer and is comfy as can be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to add I considered this bike, but got a Cube Aerium instead (end of 2019). The main/only reason for this decision being my location (Belgium) which makes a difference in price and of course is less practical if any issues come up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
It must have just been the Ceepo Shadow-R in regards to speed wobble. My Brilliant first of three Dimonds I spent a week in the Pyrenees with my coach and bombed mountains including Tourmalet where we were staying around 60 miles/hour and no wobbles. If anything on high speed bends at those speeds I didnā€™t have the confidence as a standard bike due to I can only assume the beam slightly flexing due to loads. That said it is the beam that gives the ride quality for normal riding and why I continue to buy Dimonds. The Marquise and Mogul what feels like a slightly stiffer beam but I am probably getting too old to be doing things that seem that silly now days.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In defense of Ben a bit, Iā€™ll say his jaw pretty quickly hit the floor when he first saw my Omni at Eagleman. And his impression was probably further cemented after I dropped him and his Ceepo on the ride. Love you Ben ;)

Iā€™d be negligent not to post a link to my Omni build and review I suppose.

https://feighathlon.com/...ni-build-and-review/

In complete honesty, I have experienced a speed wobble on my Omni. I wouldnā€™t call this a ā€œcharacteristicā€ of the bike by any means though. Iā€™ve had the same on a prior Speed Concept and even some road bikes. I believe it is largely due to a large proportion of my weight being over the front wheel and in front of the steerer tube. (Very long torso/short legs and very forward over the bb). As soon as I shift my weight rear-wards (on any bike) it never happens.

Pretty sure Iā€™m over 15,000 miles ridden mostly outside on the Omni now. You probably wonā€™t win any 1000+ watt sprints on it, but itā€™s a great tri bike. Happy to answer any questions about it here.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very happy with my TriRig Omni.

Super easy to change your setup. This was by far the deciding factor for me. Want to change your position on a SpeedConcept? Plan on a day to recable everything. So simple on the Omni.

Very light.

Plenty of storage for what I need. I have my entire repair kit stored within my seat. Nothing extra on the bike. Enough with the BTA and my saddle that I don't need to carry anything else (although there are many bosses on the bike to mount things everywhere)

Easy to switch between 1x and 2x especially if you are on etap. Brakes are easy to adjust. No disk brakes. I don't want disk brakes on my TT bike. It doesn't help me at all there. I have disks everywhere else, but I don't need them on my TT and I don't want them on my TT.

Very easy to travel with. This was my second driving factor to switch. I love that I can do everything with one wrench that is literally built into the bike.

I have no discount/sponsorship/etc. Just a full price paying customer.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owned Omni 2 years it is one of 5 TT bikes in my stable. It has been to Hawaii. Most everything said is true so I will just hit the high points. Drop dead beautiful especially if you use all of the TriRig parts everything matches. Super easy to build up. By far the easiest to fly with. Ride quality matches my Dimond but that is more of a tire choice and pressure thing. Help if needed is a phone call away and it is outstanding. Now like some have said disc brakes seem to be the hot item now, I thought so to. I bought a Felt IA disc brake bike and itā€™s a great bike but it weighs a lot more than the Omni. TriRig brakes which I also have on my Dimond are great stoppers the Felt only wins by a very slight amount. You do not have to worry about rotor drag . Of course the old saying is aero trumps weight is true but if you have two aero bikes take the lighter one. Two more things this bike is really cool nothing out there comes close and it is going back to Hawaii in 2022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, what can I put here? Please see pic.

I put a bottle cage n bottle there but it rubs against my inner thighs.
Last edited by: Babybenz: Mar 28, 22 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from Tririg Omni owners [Babybenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in the habit of using an Elite Aero bottle there. Fits nicely, is hopefully at least aero neutral, and is good for emergency fluids or a super concentrate. Narrow enough so there's no chance you bump your thighs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But when you dismount, would it not hit your groin area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering this TR Omni. It would be a huge departure for me. I have ridden Specialized S-works Shivs for past 5 seasons. One q: Does any power come w/ this setup? Most super bikes in this $$ range have power but I don't see it listed on the Tri-Rig spec sheet. I'm also considering the new Felt IA, Scott Plasma 6 and Trek SC. I'm not sure what Specialized is up to w/r/t tri bikes, so I'm looking elsewhere for next season. TIA!
Last edited by: egw8p: Nov 25, 22 7:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next