Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in anecdotal advice as well as professional opinions from any doctors or nurses who are endurance athletes. I am NOT an anti-vaxer, however I generally avoid getting an annual flu vaccine. During my 6 years in the military I was required to get a flu shot, and each year I got quite sick with the flu. After the military I stopped getting an annual flu shot, and have only gotten sick a handful of times over the last 23 years. I'm a 54 year old male.

After having done three 70.3s, I did not get sick, however after Ironman Santa Rosa last year (2018) I experienced lung discomfort, which was diagnosed as inflammation to my lungs to to the exertion of the event. After one week I was fine. My doctor told me that, in all likelihood, my immune system was quite compromised at that point due to the volume of training in the lead-up to the event, as well as the exertion from the event itself.

This has me now re-thinking the flu vaccine. I'm aware that the US Center for Disease Control previously announced that the last 3 years of flu vaccines were not nearly as effective as anticipated due to the difficulty in anticipating how the influenza virus mutates. So now I'm debating (at week 23 of 30 for IMAZ); do I get the flu vaccine and risk getting sick from the vaccine itself, which I think is more possible with my immune system likely lowered due to my current training, or skip the vaccine as is my norm, and risk coming down with the flu during the final weeks of training before the race (with little time for recovery).

I am literally 50/50 on this, and can see valid arguments for either decision.

Thanks in advance.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't get the flu from the flu shot as it is an inactive vaccine, the bug isn't there, it's just a chemical to prompt an immune response from you. It's most likely confounding factors as to why you got more sick in the military and not related to the shot itself. A compromised immune system can make the flu shot less effective as you won't be able to have the full immunoresponse desired from the shot, but you will still not get the FLU from the shot.

Totally fine if you don't get the shot, just advocate for others to, so that you're protected from herd immunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you get sick from the vaccine?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After I got the flu shot i began to multiply and divide large sums in my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't get the flu shot for probably 5 years and never got the flu. Got cocky, got stupid, and came down with the most uncomfortable two weeks of my life last winter, as did my wife. Took us out of everything for 2 weeks and affected training for another 3. She is a nurse so had gotten the shot but as we know it's not super effective.

Regardless, I'm going to get the shot this year after Indian Wells 70.3 in December. Any chance to mitigate what I expetienced last winter is worth it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3x I've gotten flu shots. 3x I've gotten sick with the flu those years, and no less severe than any other year. In fact, the years I have not gotten a flu shot, I've pretty much only had a bad head cold at the worst. I'm not convinced they help, despite what doctors say and studies say--because I have not had the same experience or proof it works, as applied to myself.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Oct 4, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This- skipped the Flu shot until I got the actual Flu and was miserable. Never skipped it since 15 plus years- no issues for me. Note: as former military- seemed like most bases are petri dishes for the various creeping cruds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I skipped getting a flu shot in 2005 because I was "too busy." That winter I came down with a horrible flu that turned into bronchitis and I missed two weeks of work, and spent most of that time in bed 20+ hours/day. Since then I've always made the time to get a flu shot, and a couple of times felt like I had a milder version of the flu, but never anything like what I experienced the year I was too busy to get the flu shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boring experience:
Until last year I'd gone over 10 years without getting a flu shot. Never got the flu.

Last fall I decided to get a flu shot. No reaction to the shot and again I did not get the flu.

I'm surround by sick people at work over the course of the year. Somehow I manage to avoid everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last time I didn't get a flu shot - nor can I remember the last time I've gotten the flu. I've never had a single negative reaction or impact from the flu shot. It's probably 100% coincidental, but since I've started getting flu shots, I've suffered significantly less from seasonal allergies. I just had my annual shot day before yesterday; I can't understand those who refuse to get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I'm not convinced they help, despite what doctors say and studies say--because I have not had the same experience or proof it works, as applied to myself.

Then I don't think you understand how statistics, and probability (or science) works. And you clearly don't understand the purpose of vaccines, or the specific complexity associated with the Influenca strain of viruses.

if you flip a coin and get head 5 times in a row does that mean the coin is cheated up? or does that mean that the next 5 flips will be tails? Or does a 50/50 chance mean that EVERY OTHER FLIP will be EVERY OTHER SIDE (exactly)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weakandpuny wrote:
I'm aware that the US Center for Disease Control previously announced that the last 3 years of flu vaccines were not nearly as effective as anticipated...

VE is reported here: https://www.cdc.gov/...asons-estimates.html
2014-2015 was a bummer year, sure. But since then, you have a better than third chance of avoiding 2 weeks of hell and will likely reduce the severity if you do get it.

weakandpuny wrote:
...do I get the flu vaccine and risk getting sick from the vaccine itself

This is not a risk. As said above, it is impossible to get the flu from the vaccine. You might feel a little off for a couple days and that might even be due to your immune response, but that is WAY better than risking it and going unvaccinated.

Get the vaccine to kick off a low volume week.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

This is not a risk. As said above, it is impossible to get the flu from the vaccine. You might feel a little off for a couple days and that might even be due to your immune response, but that is WAY better than risking it and going unvaccinated.

This, if you do get it, do it on a low volume week, and get it on your rest day. The nurse here at work cornered me, I got the shot and then went home and ran 8 miles (mid week run on a marathon build) and was absolutely wrecked the next day.

Also the sickest I have ever been was that year (only year I have ever gotten the shot). Disclaimer: Daughter was born in October, lack of sleep, plus daycare superbugs during the winter and spring didn't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't feel like I need a flu shot, I don't think I've had the flu since I was a kid. I get a flu shot because I feel I owe it to my elderly parents. Me carrying the flu to them could literally kill them. It seems like a small inconvenience.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I don't feel like I need a flu shot, I don't think I've had the flu since I was a kid. I get a flu shot because I feel I owe it to my elderly parents. Me carrying the flu to them could literally kill them. It seems like a small inconvenience.

THIS.

But, not just YOUR elderly parents. Anyone's elderly parents, infants, and otherwise immuno-compromised persons that you might come into contact with. Every chance to disrupt the spread helps everyone.

In addtion there are certain strains such as H1N1 that can be debilitating even for the healthy, but unlucky. I had a friend who contracted H1N1, she had the sniffles on a Friday, and and was on a ventilator with 100% O2 by Sunday for the next 3 months (with O2 sats teetering on the brink). She was in the hospital for 6 months...and barely survived. These strains are always in the vaccine.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

This, if you do get it, do it on a low volume week, and get it on your rest day.

Yes and yes. I get flu shots at the start of a recovery week. You might get a very mild fever for a day as your immune system responds, but you can't get the flu form the shot. Read up on "herd immunity" and you'll see that the benefit is for everyone around you.

It's not a guarantee you won't get the flu, but if you DO get the flu you'll be miserable in bed for a week and out of breath every time you exercise for a month after that. There goes your season.

I recently had the Shingrix vaccine (for shingles). That one gives a higher fever and a sore arm for a lot of people, including me. For that one, I'd wait until after a big race -- not for fear of getting sick, just to avoid the high fever and the disrupted sleep that came with it. That said, I was training hard again 48 hours after the Shingrix shot, and it's a lot better than getting shingles.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
You can't get the flu from the flu shot as it is an inactive vaccine, the bug isn't there, it's just a chemical to prompt an immune response from you.

Just one important difference that may be missed by some. There is a difference between the nasal spray vaccine and the shot.

https://www.nfid.org/...nfluenza-for-adults/

The traditional injected vaccine includes inactivated (or killed) virus and is approved for everyone six months and older.

Nasal spray vaccine includes live, but weakened virus and is approved for healthy people age two through 49 years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few myths about it...

1. you can't the flu from a vaccine.
2. People who say "but I still got the flu" don't realize that they probably didn't actually get the flu, or if they did - got a minor version of it.

There is a common misconception that the flu is 24 hours of stomach virus or a cold for a few days. The Flu is nasty AF and you're usually down for 5-6 days with another week or more to be completely recovered. And that's if it doesn't manage to work it's way into a respiratory or sinus infection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat healthy. Get sleep. Minimize stress. Odds are you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
I'm not convinced they help, despite what doctors say and studies say--because I have not had the same experience or proof it works, as applied to myself.

Then I don't think you understand how statistics, and probability (or science) works.
This.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get one every time. The only time I feel like complete ass is when I try to work out hard that day...which I tend to do every time.

Funnily, when I was in the Army, the Soldiers of mine who did not get the vaccine got pretty fucked up. And everyone understands that there are no sick days.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 4, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Then I don't think you understand how statistics, and probability (or science) works.
This.

X a billion.

Rather than justify it that way, I wish people would just say that they just don't want it and quit trying to justify it with specious arguments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on 24 hour worldwide alert with a medical evac unit in the Air Force, so I received every shot known to man. Later on I traveled constantly, so flu shots were a necessary precaution for all the flights I had to take. My last insurance didnā€™t pay for flu shots so cheap ass me doesnā€™t want to fork over $29 or so, and low and behold I get the flu and it knocks me out for a week. Could just be coincidence but with all my vaccinations and annual flu shots Iā€™ve only had four occasions in my lifetime where I was sick for more than a two day period. I already got the shot for this yearšŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Then I don't think you understand how statistics, and probability (or science) works. And you clearly don't understand the purpose of vaccines, or the specific complexity associated with the Influenca strain of viruses.

if you flip a coin and get head 5 times in a row does that mean the coin is cheated up? or does that mean that the next 5 flips will be tails? Or does a 50/50 chance mean that EVERY OTHER FLIP will be EVERY OTHER SIDE (exactly)?

Tom Hampton, you obviously don't understand the English language and how to read a subject line. Read it again--THOUGHTS / EXPERIENCE with flu shot. I merely answered the question. Why are you such an angry trolling douche bag? By the way, you spelled "influenza" wrong. Douche.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts / Experience with Flu Shot [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Tom Hampton, you obviously don't understand the English language and how to read a subject line. Read it again--THOUGHTS / EXPERIENCE with flu shot. I merely answered the question. Why are you such an angry trolling douche bag? By the way, you spelled "influenza" wrong. Douche.
Just saying something is just your thoughts doesn't mean people can't say your thoughts are wrong, and reflect a lack of understanding.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next