Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thought experiment on Yaw Angles
Quote | Reply
Quick question for you all -

Without actually calculating anything, if you were to ride your bike in a big loop, starting with the bike pointing dead north, turning continuously to the right at 1 degree per second, pedaling at a constant 200W (no accelerating, you started at steady-state) and there is a steady wind directly out of the north, when you complete your loop, what will the distribution of yaw angles you encounter look like?

I'll post the answer later.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Thought experiment on Yaw Angles [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you'd never 'complete the loop'.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought experiment on Yaw Angles [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define loop as 360 degrees of turning. It won't be a circle, it'll be a sort of ellipsoid thing.

I'll post the answer for doing this at constant speed as well as constant power.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 23, 19 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like you wouldn't go in a loop. If you're rotating the bike at a constant rate and pedaling at a constant power, your average position will get pushed by the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought experiment on Yaw Angles [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see my answer above. when I say loop, I do not mean circle.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
see my answer above. when I say loop, I do not mean circle.

I know. But it seems like the shape would be something like this:

Possibly with some drift to the side as well... I haven't sorted that out.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Aug 23, 19 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if your solution is like your CFD,

it will be wrong.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to give too much out about the shape of the path as that may be a hint. But you are right that it will not be a circle.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I don't want to give too much out about the shape of the path as that may be a hint. But you are right that it will not be a circle.

The issue isn't whether the path is circular, it's whether it's a closed loop.

The problem statement seems like a trick question.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Aug 23, 19 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you measuring yaw on the frame or the cockpit/front wheel?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Quick question for you all -

Without actually calculating anything, if you were to ride your bike in a big loop, starting with the bike pointing dead north, turning continuously to the right at 1 degree per second, pedaling at a constant 200W (no accelerating, you started at steady-state) and there is a steady wind directly out of the north, when you complete your loop, what will the distribution of yaw angles you encounter look like?

I'll post the answer later.

If you're rotating at a constant rate, isn't everything else irrelevant? It's basically the same as if you were sitting on a turntable that was rotating (0s - 0°, 1s - 1°, ...). Now this is a bit contrived since on a path where with a consistent input power you'd travel different distances each second based on the effective forward force (your input plus/minus the wind's force) so you'd need to do this on a large flat paved surface (e.g., parking lot) to follow the path these parameters would force on you.

Constant speed would end up being a circle with constant angular rotation and the power would vary quiet a bit.

I might also be totally wrong 🙂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

The issue isn't whether the path is circular, it's whether it's a closed loop.

The problem statement seems like a trick question.

...if you stop the trace after 360 seconds, you'll be facing north, but be positioned somewhere south of your original position. Like a capitol "C".

For the sake of the thought experiment, the wording was misleading. OK, if that revealed some hint, instead of saying "close the loop", it should've said once you "are again facing due north".
Quote Reply
Re: Thought experiment on Yaw Angles [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it's not like a turn table because there is a wind component from your forward motion as well as from the actual wind, which obviously you understand but just to make sure I'm clear...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Thought experiment on Yaw Angles [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Are you measuring yaw on the frame or the cockpit/front wheel?

Measured from the frame.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not meant to be a trick question. I was just surprised by the result and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being confusing. Yes, when you are facing due north is a better way to describe it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stop entertaining this guy. Anyone who asks a question then stays they'll give the answer later just wants attention and to flaunt how smart they think they are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna stop being cryptic and just post! So here are the results:

I was surprised to see this. Even though this is a completely manufactured situation (chosen because I could easily model it in excel) I was expecting something that at least resembled the normal distributions that everyone who's measured this in the real world has seen (Flo, Swissside, Mavic, etc). There's a good summary here:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Yaw_Angles_5844.html

The reason for it is that the rate of change of yaw angle is lowest during the periods of high yaw - that is the amount yaw angle changes with a 1 degree change of heading:

(oops... the right vertical axis there should not be speed, it should be yaw rate of change dYaw/dtheta)

Now an 8mph wind is a bit on the high side. If I cut that down to 4mph, those outer buckets go down to [7 - 9].

I just thought it was interesting that this is so different from real-world measurements. I do not really understand why yet. Thoughts?

Disclosures - this model is simplified using only aero drag and rolling resistance. Inertia, bearing drag and drivetrain friction are ignored.

I tried to put the spreadsheet in google sheets to share but it's having trouble with some of the math....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 23, 19 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I just thought it was interesting that this is so different from real-world measurements. I do not really understand why yet. Thoughts?

I think part of it is that a steady 8mph at ground/bike level is a fairly intense wind. Standard wind measurements are, what, 20 feet above ground?

And I think another thing is that, compared to riding a perfectly circular course, with the parameters in your model that lead to a skewed ellipsoid path (I’d need to chart this out to visualize better) it is going to naturally have more time/distance at higher yaw angles.
Quote Reply